Running 3 downriggers on a 23’ boat

StirItUp

Hi All, I’m debating mounting a third downrigger off my 23’ Whaler Outrage. Do others have experience running 3 downriggers off smaller boats and is it worth it? A few questions below.
-how is turning?
-reccomend boom angle?
-how often do you use all 3?
Thanks in advance.

Hi All, I’m debating mounting a third downrigger off my 23’ Whaler Outrage. Do others have experience running 3 downriggers off smaller boats and is it worth it? A few questions below.
-how is turning?
-reccomend boom angle?
-how often do you use all 3?
Thanks in advance.

I have a 21.5 Campion and use my 3 downriggers most all the time unless I am by myself. The side 2 are kept fully extended (6 foot) and are mounted ~4 or 5 feet from the stern. The back rigger (old 4 ft. model) is mounted starboard side a couple feet from the stern. I angle this one to the centre of the boat (near the main motor). This rigger just clears the swimgrid on the starboard stern of the boat.
- I prefer the 3 riggers over stacking 2 lines on one side which I did for years on other boats
- turning is no issue, I am a bit careful if fishing deep and there is cross current and wind. I have a prop guard on my 9.9 HT Yamaha and recommend one. The only real concern for me is keeping the 3rd rigger set at least 10 feet above or below the starboard side rigger nearest it
- I have the side riggers straight out and back rigger angled towards the centre of the boat
- as stated above I use all 3 most of the time even in winter, I use the back rigger for experimental gear or testing shallower depths
...Rob

One of my buddies runs three riggers frequently on his 16 foot Double Eagle and has no problems. To make it work he runs a straight round ball on the straight out the back rigger and on both sides runs disks with the large stainless fins that are tuned to side plane the weights and rigger cables out and away from the boat, which gives you lots of separation and prevents tangles. He does not even extend his side booms and runs them at about 30 inches.
If you are set up right you should have no problem with a 23 footer. If it were me I would perhaps limit to two in extremely strong current rips and not be doing any "Crazy Ivan" turns.

Last edited:
deepwater_trolling_schematic.jpg

One of my buddies runs three riggers frequently on his 16 foot Double Eagle and has no problems. To make it work he runs a straight round ball on the straight out the back rigger and on both sides runs disks with the large stainless fins that are tuned to side plane the weights and rigger cables out and away from the boat, which gives you lots of separation and prevents tangles. He does not even extend his booms and runs them at about 30 inches.
If you are set up right you should have no problem with a 23 footer. If it were me I would perhaps limit to two in extremely strong current rips and not be doing any "Crazy Ivan" turns.

StirItUp: Rockfish's post reminded me that I run pancake weights tuned to draw the lines out from the boat (13.5 lb.) and a 12 lb (straight lead fin) out the back. You could also use a 15 lb. out the back as I have friends who do it that way successfully.
...Rob

As Rob H mentioned, run the stern rigger up 10ft+ to make sure things are away from each other.

Another thing to remember is, shorten your distance from your clip. I like running my gear out about 15ft+ before clipping into my release but I would suggest running things no more than 10ft. And make sure they're all the same distance away. This helps keep things in line when turning and prevents your gear from tangling up with each other.

I personally dont run 3 riggers because I don't think there's a big benefit with the third rigger, but that's just me. I have seen and been on boats that have the set up. I feel it gets more stressful when there's a fish who hits a setup than it's worth.

I run 3 like everyone else on a 23ft Hourston 15s on the side and 12 in the middle

One of my buddies runs three riggers frequently on his 16 foot Double Eagle and has no problems. To make it work he runs a straight round ball on the straight out the back rigger and on both sides runs disks with the large stainless fins that are tuned to side plane the weights and rigger cables out and away from the boat, which gives you lots of separation and prevents tangles. He does not even extend his side booms and runs them at about 30 inches.

I love that you just referenced "Crazy Ivans". I use this phrase all the time and nobody ever knows what I am talking about.

I love that you just referenced "Crazy Ivans". I use this phrase all the time and nobody ever knows what I am talking about.

Have been using the term “Crazy Ivans” for many years now to mean a quick, very tight, somewhat risky turn with gear down, often in order to get back over the fishy spot as fast as possible. In the movie of course it was the American term for the behavior of Russian subs when they suddenly make a very quick turn to reverse course in order to try and detect any American attack subs that may be following them and hiding in their wake.

Last edited:
Just started doing this myself on a 24. Bit of a pita in heavy currents but were still fishing deep at this time of year. I've been doing the same with 18s on the sides and 15 out the back with the back being the highest.

I also often cite "Red route one" if I am trolling through tight contours. Blank stares all around. Kids these days!

A bit surprising nobody has mentioned power consumption as I presume you guys are talking electric DR's?

Running three electrics on a single house battery will definitely beat up the amp hours and could very well compromise your starter battery if you're running an automatic charge relay system, especially if you're not firing up the main and running to different spots to goose them back up with a beefy alternator.

IMG_20150509_111441.jpg

i run 3 riggers and have a 22' just use 15lb's but mine are all across the back transom
sides are extended out ... but tend to stack only the out side pr

power wise run mine off the house so no relying on just the one start battery ....
most 20'+ boats have two batt's or should?
alloy angle bracket some what stops some of the flexing tying the three support post's

Last edited:
I have run 3 riggers for many many years, but summertime only when spreading the gear through shallower depths is productive. I run mine opposite to most posting above. I run my centre rigger deeper and keep the gear on that rigger the farthest away from the boat. When fishing one of my favorite summer spots I will often be in 65-70 ft of water. I run the centre rigger at 55ft and maybe 50 ft behind the boat. The starboard rigger will often be at 50 ft and is the closest to the boat at 15 feet behind the boat. So while only 5 ft apart depth wise they are 35 feet apart laterally. The port rigger will be anywhere from 35-45 ft down and around 30 ft behind the boat. By doing this you can fish the gear close vertically but get good lateral separation. The centre rigger is the most consistent producer. I run 13 pound pancake finned leads on the side and a 15 pound ball in the centre.

Back