Emergency Victoria @ Area SFAB Mtg Re: 2018 Chinook - May 4/18

How many people on here would pay 10 dollars for a Chinook salmon stamp in addition to the regular salmon stamp? If 100% of the processed from the stamp went into Chinook Salmon Enhancement like net pens?

I'm sure we all would. How many people are already paying $25 for a Steelhead stamp?

If the money went straight in to all salmon enhancement projects, be they net pens, habitat, or seal culls, there's not much to complain about

Last edited by a moderator:
Only if it came with a guarantee of better access to the salmon raised in the process. I am not about to stay off the water but pay more for other groups to fill their nets. If all groups were to chip in equally, yes please, may it be an extra $100 per year!

Twitter Hashtags and Facebook trends work. People are easily manipulated by propaganda on social media. They don't read in behind the hashtag, they just go with the emotional appeal. It makes them feel good to virtue signal to others by reposting these things.

Anglers need to realize what a niche they are. It's not a big community. Most people are just casual about fishing. The gov't doesn't give a **** about us. We're up against environmental behemoths like the David Suzuki Foundation. How hard can you hurl a slingshot?

I would pay that much to get Fish Farms out of the Ocean and just send the workers a check in the mail with the money collected until they find other work.

Or maybe put that money to use in creating a few closed containment land based chinook facilities to grow the stocks back up... The government has no problem and seems to enjoy spending our taxpayer dollars on supporting foreign owned open net pen invasive diseased atlantic salmon...
I'd rather see them spending it a bit differently and on something that might actually help out the general public.

Very cryptic!

I've heard there will be an 83 cm size limit on Chinook nearly coast-wide.

Take care.

83cm max size? What would a fish like that weigh? (I truly dont know)

Interesting if they allow the same limits but smaller fish

83 cm is 32.67717 inches

http://www.in-fisherman.com/trout-salmon/chinook-salmon/chinook-salmon-weight-conversion-chart/

So about 13 to a little short of 14 lbs

Hopefully another bad rumor. I think we need to wait and see. I find it difficult to imagine the Liberals would be willing to accept the kind of political capital loss that would result in. They would never recover in BC and that Republic of Vancouver Island Clothing line display I saw at the Victoria Boat show may become more popular.

Last edited:
Seems like a strange number, 83cm instead of an more memorable number like 85cm (about 15lbs) or 80cm which is pretty small at about 12 lbs. regardless it would mean a lot of catch and release if it is true, we can only hope it is not.

I agree. I would need to cycle through dozens of fish to get a keeper. It would however greatly reduce retention....

Seems hard to believe, but it not much difference then the current Halibut regs. Some areas can’t find small enough fish.

Hmmm, hopefully a rumour

The best part is almost all of our early timed Fraser Chinook avg 6-14lbs.
Bigger ones traditionally don’t start to show till beginning of June...with obvious exceptions of a few stocks.

Hatchery or wild ?

One might presume hatchery but what about hatcheries like the Quinsam who I'm told don't fin-clip their Chinook output?

Be a bit difficult fin-clipping all the Quinsam fish given the 3.2 million or so they put out annually methinks.

The scuttlebutt I heard came from a total keener who claimed he heard two guys talking about it at Tyee Marine earlier today.

It didn't make much sense to me either, but one never knows.

The Feds do some weird things at times.

For example, I just realized they had cancelled the Life Guard Program at Long Beach some years back. I didn't know that until after the most recent drowning and was flabbergasted.

Nobody drowned during the 36 years my surfing pals lifeguarded there and at least two have drowned I know of have since the program was cancelled.

Brilliant!

Take care.

Hope the 83 cm thing is bogus.

The scuttlebutt I heard came from a total keener who claimed he heard two guys talking about it at Tyee Marine earlier today.

So you heard from a guy who heard from two guys that heard it where?

These sorts of rumors is how misinformation and confusion spreads. The internet only makes it worse.

Back