Pacific Salmon Treaty, 3.0

"About 50 commercial salmon trollers and friends voiced their objections during the rally. Their main concerns were over possible cuts to the Alaska chinook fishery to conserve king salmon runs in Puget Sound that are listed under the Endangered Species Act. The final extent of the cuts won’t be known until the new terms of Pacific Salmon Treaty are released (expected to be a reduction between 5-10 percent for each of the next 10 years, depending on abundance)."

I find this quote very intresting!!

"Swanton said it was impossible to walk away from the obligations imposed by the Endangered Species Act. “Once that genie’s out of the bottle,” he said, “You can’t put it back in.” He suggested that enacting strict conservation measures under the treaty was preferable to management by the federal government under the ESA. Keeping Alaska involved in treaty management meant “at least we have an exit.”"

https://www.kcaw.org/2018/05/22/treaty-politics-fuel-tension-criticism-at-sitka-salmon-meeting/

Treaty politics fuel tension, criticism at Sitka salmon meeting

Last edited:
For US fishers, the genie is already out given the language of the ESA. Not very many Puget Sound runs go to SEAK, but some do & they are on the ESA list.
Seeing as less than 5% of Chinook caught in SEAK originate from SEAK rivers they don't seem to be in a position to gain, just loose.

I predict some trading between BC & WA at SEAK's expense - WCVI Chinook caught in SEAK for Puget Sound Chinook caught in BC. WA has Fraser Red's & Pinks to trade too.

IMO commercial fishers putting pressure on their governments is the main cause of our current situation.

For US fishers, the genie is already out given the language of the ESA. Not very many Puget Sound runs go to SEAK, but some do & they are on the ESA list.
Seeing as less than 5% of Chinook caught in SEAK originate from SEAK rivers they don't seem to be in a position to gain, just loose.

I predict some trading between BC & WA at SEAK's expense - WCVI Chinook caught in SEAK for Puget Sound Chinook caught in BC. WA has Fraser Red's & Pinks to trade too.

IMO commercial fishers putting pressure on their governments is the main cause of our current situation.

Are the fisheries a federal or state decision? Can your federal government impose restrictions on AK or is it a star decision?

I am fairly sure that AK & other states bargain as separate entities; too bad. IMO the SEAK Chinook fishery should not exist - most of their catch is Columbia river Chinook. Why not catch them down here where they will be larger & closer to the market?

I am fairly sure that AK & other states bargain as separate entities; too bad. IMO the SEAK Chinook fishery should not exist - most of their catch is Columbia river Chinook. Why not catch them down here where they will be larger & closer to the market?

I agree, I would like to see more of those fish pass our fishing grounds on there way home.

A very few Puget Sound ESA listed Chinook are caught in SEAK. It is impossible to discern these fish from others until they are dead & undergone CWT/DNA analysis. I believe that means we have them by the balls. Too bad we didn't play hardball years earlier. The referenced link about quotes SEAK catches 85% non-SEAK Chinook, but numbers from the PST Chinook technical Committee put the "Non-SEAK Chinook catch at 97%:
http://wildfishconservancy.org/images/news/CaughtFarFromHome2011journalchart.jpg

I fair number of Fraser fish are caught in WA fisheries - the San Juan Islands is the only inside waters in the state where wild Chinook can be retained. For deals between CA & WA, it's probably more of a Fraser Sockeye/Pink for Puget Sound Chinook trade. This is managed by the Fraser river alliance.

It is time we all stop putting the fish last.

Americans took half of total Pacific salmon catch in 2017

https://biv.com/article/2018/05/americans-took-half-total-pacific-salmon-catch-2017

In 2017, nearly 1 million tonnes of Pacific salmon (460 million fish) were harvested by five Pacific nations, with the U.S. taking more than half, according to a preliminary report on harvest levels from the North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission (NPAFC).

American fishermen, mostly in Alaska, harvested 53% of all Pacific salmon in 2017; Canadians took just 1%.

Russia had the second largest harvest level, at 38%, Japan 8%, and South Korea less than 1%.

So while American fishermen harvested 487,000 metric tonnes of Pacific salmon, Canada harvested just under 14,000 metric tonnes.

Of the 487,000 metric tonnes caught by Americans, Alaska accounted for the lion’s share – 477,000. So fishermen in Washington and Oregon would account for only 10,000 metric tonnes.

commercial-catch.jpg
Pink salmon are the most abundant of the seven Pacific salmon species. | NPAFC
Pink salmon, the most abundant of all Pacific salmon species, accounted for roughly half of the total catch throughout the Pacific region (49%), followed by chum at 29%, sockeye 19%, coho 3% and Chinook 1%.

Commercial hatcheries have a lot to do with the comparatively large harvest levels in Alaska, Japan and Russia.

Hatcheries throughout the Pacific region released 5 billion fish in 2017, as they have for the last three decades, according to the NPAFC.

American hatcheries (mostly in Alaska) released 1.9 billion salmon (37%), Japan 1.8 billion (35%), Russia 1 billion (21%), Canada 368 million (7%), and South Korea just 18 million (1%).

hatchery-releases.jpg
Hatcheries released 5 billion salmon in 2017. | NPAFC
The NPAFC report, released May 25, confirms the findings of a study published in April by James Irvine and Greg Ruggerone: Pacific salmon abundance is at an all-time high, but with that abundance skewed by pink and chum. See Pacific Salmon are more abundant than ever.

“Pacific salmon abundance in the North Pacific, as indexed by aggregate commercial catches, remains at near all-time high levels, although catches have declined during the past decade,” the NPAFC states.

It notes that, despite the high abundance, the commercial catch has been in decline over the past decade.

“In general, the catch trend over the last 10 years has been declining; catches in 2017 were the lowest since 2002.”

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-12_10-30-15.png
    upload_2018-6-12_10-30-15.png
    303.9 KB · Views: 3
Americans took half of total Pacific salmon catch in 2017

Yeah but more than 99% of these Salmon originate from US rivers.
The REAL issue is interception of Salmon from one country by another, which is mainly Chinook, which happens to be THE issue.

Fearing another Chinook cut, Sitka’s troll fleet calls on President Trump

Yeah this is a prime Trump issue; his core needs him & the ESA is being used to justify AK catch reductions. What will a guy that steps on his own dick then cuts off his nose to spite his face do at a time like this?

We can’t survive more cuts to Alaska king-salmon quota

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/we-cant-survive-more-cuts-to-alaska-king-salmon-quota/

"
But here’s the kicker. Since the treaty was enacted, Alaska has lost about 60 percent of its share of salmon, depending on the year, while Washington has gained about 40 percent. The new agreement proposes a further cut of up to 10 percent for all gear classes of Alaska fishermen — sport, commercial and subsistence.

The reasoning behind this? Because 85 percent of the Southeast Alaska Chinook originate from rivers in Canada, Washington and Oregon. So the fish aren’t for Alaska fishermen, goes the argument. The fish are “intercepted” on their way back to their native streams."

That data is now almost 10 years old, certainly not the data being used isn’t the current negotiations.

CWT is the international agreed method on tracking stocks. Was told so by someone currently in the negotiations.

The data is hugely screwed also by hatchery indicator stocks and not a measure of where and how much wild salmon stocks are being intercepted.

One thing is for certain is that Washington state will probably gain the most again from the new negotiations.

I have also been told while chinook is a concern for Alaska it’s far from the center of the negotiations. Commercial interests in sockeye mainly are the center of all the negotiations as I beleive it accounts for most of the commercial money being made off the fisheries.

Washington tribes and all citizens commercial fishers in Washington would rather have more access to Fraser sockeye.

That’s just what I’m hearing from up here, what are you hearing from down their Eric.

The only thing I have heard is that for Chinook that the Endangered Species Act (ESA) may be used to pressure Alaska. One of the Puget Sound ESA listed Chinook runs goes to Alaska. No US citizen may do any harm to these fish W/O permission. So the strategy is either play ball or we roll out the ESA.

Yeah, the data is old & not of high enough quality to be used for other than educating the uninformed; I know you are informed but other readers may benefit.

Back