2018 Gulf Island Reports

Has anyody had any success this year with crabbing in the gulf islands. I'm taking some buddies out next week and would like to hook them up with some crab. Our usual spots at bare point have been cold for about 9 months now. I' not sure what has happened but that place has been hot for at least 15 years and now it is baren. Feel free to pm.

Thanks

Has anyody had any success this year with crabbing in the gulf islands. I'm taking some buddies out next week and would like to hook them up with some crab. Our usual spots at bare point have been cold for about 9 months now. I' not sure what has happened but that place has been hot for at least 15 years and now it is baren. Feel free to pm.

Thanks
Interesting you post that, ive never seen crabbing so bad off Nanaimo, every pot pulled either empty with bait untouched or a couple small red rock or small female dungees.
Never pulled empty pots at this time of year and talked to the guys at chandler and they said everyones saying the same thing. Hope theres not some disease like with the starfish.

Interesting you post that, ive never seen crabbing so bad off Nanaimo, every pot pulled either empty with bait untouched or a couple small red rock or small female dungees.
Never pulled empty pots at this time of year and talked to the guys at chandler and they said everyones saying the same thing. Hope theres not some disease like with the starfish.
Those are the exact same results we'e had. Really strange.

I think we are just coming into years where the legal crab would have been settling out from the plankton during the very warm blob years. Dungeness juvies are limited by warm temperatures when small and living in the intertidal. Parts of the gulf Islands are already pretty warm and marginal for dungies.. It could be that this crashed recruitment for a couple of years (like the next 3) I guess we'll see.

I mostly crab in Victoria where the water is much colder all summer due to tidal mixing. While crabbing is not lights out this year I had 8 legal in two traps in an hour this week, and it has been solid. Would be interesting to know if other areas of the coast that experience warm summer temperatures experienced similar declines

Salamanca this morning for a very slow ebb. Lots of bait and fish in the 7 to 10lb range. Picked up 3 (kept 1), another 5 boats looked like all got fish. AP anchovie spoon, lime green with green flasher was the winner and 100 to 150’ with 15 lb. ball. Solo, so at times it was like a one legged man in an butt kicking contest but great fun.

Fished polier a couple hrs this AM. At most 10 boats out at peak time when we left. Released 3 undersize and retained one around 10# all straight out in front of the gap. Seemed shallower today 60-80ft. Crabbing still unproductive

Unfortuantely also watched a couple different boats keep fish that were clearly smaller than the slot size. No reception otherwise fisheries would have been notified or if I knew where the boats came from hopefully they would be waiting at the boat launch. Either way have good descriptions of boats and operators for em.

Any idea how the crabbing around Crofton or Cowichan Bay is. I am doing well with good size Red Rocks in the Maple Bay area but I would like to get some Dungie for my guests from NS.

I mostly crab in Victoria where the water is much colder all summer due to tidal mixing. While crabbing is not lights out this year I had 8 legal in two traps in an hour this week, and it has been solid. Would be interesting to know if other areas of the coast that experience warm summer temperatures experienced similar declines[/QUOTE]

Where in the Victoria area. I have a boat I can tow down and launch.

Fished polier today, 2 legal on Irish cream skinny G few unders as well 99ft. Seen a few boats out there keeping some fish that looked pretty small.

Fished Sunday morning until 1pm at Porlier. We released one spring about 55cm and caught 2 pacific cod and that was about it. First time i've made it out in weeks when it hasn't been a wind storm so it had that going for it. Hopefully some new fish show up soon.

Fished Salamanca Monday - I kept getting fish on a Pesca Forage spoon that's done the best for me this winter. Guess I didn't want to use it, cause I kept switching out gear, but had to go back to the pesca as it was consistent all day. Fish were feeding on smaller herring. Didn't use anchovy, but that would be a good choice too.

Leader was short - 30" or so.

Attachments

• pesca-forage-gut-bomb-glow-uv-spoon-photoshop_orig.jpg
    pesca-forage-gut-bomb-glow-uv-spoon-photoshop_orig.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 71
Should be lots of gulf islands reports after this weekend's Galiano derby on Saturday... and probably not too many prior to then :)

If anyone is looking to sign up last minute you can register here - https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/galiano-salmon-classic-tickets-41975632246?aff=efbneb

Or register in person Friday night at the marina where they will have someone available to sign people up from what i've been told. Weather forecast (sun) looks great and long-term marine forecast looks decent as well. Hopefully it holds up and makes for a nice derby day for all.

Fished Porlier on Monday the 21st. Caught a decent 12# spring and a smaller keeper and lost something fairly big and released a 60cm. Most hits at 125' in about 250' of water. 3.5" skinny G (green and glow) behind green and glow/ betsy flashers between 0800 and 1030 hours. We were out Saturday but that nasty fraser river silt came in on the 1500 tide and chased us off.

Good point Salted. I chatted with Ryan about this and he also said for those coming from Vancouver, etc they can ask him for a copy of the rules/waiver form so that they can print it off, sign it, take a pic/scan and send it back to him. That way those boats coming from Vancouver or elsewhere on Saturday morning don't have to run to Montague before fishing.

I'm going to have a 'practice day' on friday though might not post my report until after the derby :) Hope the algae isn't too bad out there as I've heard it was terrible for part of the SOG last week.

*Registrants must check in by signing Official Rules and Waiver*

The waiver/rules are at Montague Harbour, Friday evening. Anglers on Salt Spring Island can sign the paperwork at Ganges Marina.

You'll still need to purchase your tickets online at the link @tincan provided.

Good point Salted. I chatted with Ryan about this and he also said for those coming from Vancouver, etc they can ask him for a copy of the rules/waiver form so that they can print it off, sign it, take a pic/scan and send it back to him. That way those boats coming from Vancouver or elsewhere on Saturday morning don't have to run to Montague before fishing.

I'm going to have a 'practice day' on friday though might not post my report until after the derby :) Hope the algae isn't too bad out there as I've heard it was terrible for part of the SOG last week.

Who can I contact to get a copy of the waiver, there will be 4 of us signing up do all 4 of us need to sign and send in the waiver? I'll just buy the tickets online. Also is there restrictions on the fishing grounds? Or do I just gotta make it back to montague by 5? Thanks

Back