Evinrude G2 - My Initial Thoughts

Etec 300 on 24ft seaport medium chop coming from poet book to haggard cove.

Watch "Evinrude etec 300 g2" on YouTube
Hi Tains,

I have just repowered, 300G2 on my 24 Seasport...love it . Replaced a 250 Yamaha......I’m curious what prop you have?

My new 200 HP G2 Etec with an RX4 prop will be undergoing lake trials in the Shuswap this week. Comments to follow.

Only one problem : the dealership representation in the lower mainland is very poor and the one that we have treats their CUSTOMERS like , well lets say I wasn't impressed. Great representation on the Island though , but it would be an expensive ferry ride to get an engine looked at. So, thats the only reason I won't be re-powering this fall with a Etec ...... GREAT ENGINES !

VERY unique combustion chamber design on the rude's. When keeping a boat on plane in heavy seas torque really matters. MPG at low speeds is closer to that of a diesel than traditional gas engine. If they came with a voltage regulator that would not kill a deep cycle i'd consider them on my 33 footer; I need to be off the grid for days.

What boat are you running?
A 21 ft welded aluminum centre console. Did a good test today and hit 51 mph. The old Yamaha 115 topped out at 28 mph. The motor and prop get the boat up on plane very quickly and the autotrim works really well. Still only two hours so no comments yet on fuel economy. Has not consumed any oil yet but was warned it would burn more oil for the first few hours. Overall very happy with the motor so far.

A 21 ft welded aluminum centre console. Did a good test today and hit 51 mph. The old Yamaha 115 topped out at 28 mph. The motor and prop get the boat up on plane very quickly and the autotrim works really well. Still only two hours so no comments yet on fuel economy. Has not consumed any oil yet but was warned it would burn more oil for the first few hours. Overall very happy with the motor so far.
Ya I believe the break-in period is roughly 10 hrs and will burn apparently about twice the oil. Even with that in my break-in period it barely used any oil. Post a picture of that beauty, I'm glad it all worked out for you. Were you happy with the service you got there?

Only one problem : the dealership representation in the lower mainland is very poor and the one that we have treats their CUSTOMERS like , well lets say I wasn't impressed. Great representation on the Island though , but it would be an expensive ferry ride to get an engine looked at. So, thats the only reason I won't be re-powering this fall with a Etec ...... GREAT ENGINES !
Guys on the island are great..... They come down to the boat launch and pick me up after I cross, I just walk back on the ferry if its going to take longer than a day

@Ceilidh69 Nice looking power there!

I'm still figuring out mileage as well, but to give you an idea of numbers on a smaller etec....I've got roughly 17 hours on my Etec 30hp using about 5 gallons of 94 octane.

Side note, I'm sure you guys know that South Island Marine out of Sidney is an Evinrude dealer as well. They quoted me 300$ cheaper than Parker for the same engine and I didn't have to drive all the way up island! :)

Cheers

Last edited:
something people may not know about G2, if you repowering you can order it without steering and reuse your old one. thats a small savings

something people may not know about G2, if you repowering you can order it without steering and reuse your old one. thats a small savings
Why miss out on the power steering. It is great!!! In my opinion if you are going to upgrade spend the money, get the the power steering and then it is covered by warranty for 10 years.

Pics attached Curtis
Man that looks like she'll fly now! I love the power steering in the G2, completely effortless steering. I can do high speed turns with zero cavitation. Between the props and the mount job its just perfect. I am getting exactly 6000 rpm at max throttle. What were your RPM at 51mph?

Why miss out on the power steering. It is great!!! In my opinion if you are going to upgrade spend the money, get the the power steering and then it is covered by warranty for 10 years.
Well the motor is covered under the warranty period with or with out steering. My point was what you are repowering and your steering was not very old. You can save a few thousand dollars by ordering without. What if you have some fancy kicker steering that's attached? Saving afew thousand dollars on an already expensive item is sometimes a tipping point on the sale.

Guys on the island are great..... They come down to the boat launch and pick me up after I cross, I just walk back on the ferry if its going to take longer than a day

Yup they are the best on the Island and would be a consideration if it was possible to make it across but some times that isn't possible , if I was to get a free return ferry reimbursement (if the engine was a no go) I'd consider but I know that would be
impossible. So, no choice but to look at Yamaha ...to bad Evinrude can't open their eyes and see the importance and potential for a solid representation in an area with 1 Million + population ......I could always move to the island again lol

Back