Sky rocketing fuel prices

I for one have no pity for the oh so poor oil company that may have misspeculated a few millions, even billions. No sympathy here whatsoever. Funny to read the last breaths of ranting by oil supporters in a world rapidly changing finally away from burning oil!

You obviously have not been paying attention to the 15 pages of discussion otherwise you would of read the report that said the demand for oil has never been higher. Green energy is dispacing things like coal not oil.

When you start looking at resource use and the destruction to our environment you realize that global population control is the only answer. World demand is outpacing how fast we can switch to green technology.

even if we switch to green tech if the population doubles we will need twice as much metals, twice as much plastics ect...

Lol, green energy is displacing coal. Now that is funny.

You obviously have not been paying attention to the 15 pages of discussion otherwise you would of read the report that said the demand for oil has never been higher. Green energy is dispacing things like coal not oil.

When you start looking at resource use and the destruction to our environment you realize that global population control is the only answer. World demand is outpacing how fast we can switch to green technology.

even if we switch to green tech if the population doubles we will need twice as much metals, twice as much plastics ect...

Lol, green energy is displacing coal. Now that is funny.

lol yeah the use of coal is still increasing, my choice of wording was bad. green energy is displacing some demand. A tiny part. I am personally a fan of nuclear energy but I find myself in the minority on that one.

I forgot that the US has "clean coal"

I for one have no pity for the oh so poor oil company that may have misspeculated a few millions, even billions. No sympathy here whatsoever. Funny to read the last breaths of ranting by oil supporters in a world rapidly changing finally away from burning oil!
I have no pity for oil companies, as an investor (not in KM) to be mislead, lied to and told by a Government that the pipeline 9investment) is approved and a go then to be backdoor slowed, derailed or stopped is different. This is business disaster with far reaching ramifications for BC. I do feel for fellow Canadians who's future employment and ability to fish and enjoy life has been negatively impacted. I visited 11 countries last year for 7 months, not sure where your statement of a world changing away from burning oil is based. I never saw this, actually the opposite and after seeing the worlds current consumption rates am confused at your statement. Even here in Vic increased car ownership and use is VERY noticeable when stopped at the green lights. Where did you get that data?

HM

One of the fastest growing job sector in US. EU too. China making leaps, not sure how trustworthy that is however. Lots of media about this online. WHERE have you been lately? Don't get out much, eh?

And in other news.......

Alberta, B.C. lead provinces in GDP growth
Western Canada retook its lead in the country’s growth tables last year, with Alberta recording the fastest expansion among the 10 provinces and British Columbia posting its strongest pace in more than a decade.

Gross domestic product grew by 4.9 percent in Alberta, with the oil-producing province recovering from two straight years of falling output following the collapse of oil prices. British Columbia’s economy expanded by 3.9 percent, the fastest pace for that province since 2005.

It’s a return to normal for Canada -- Western provinces have outpaced central Canada in growth for much of the past 15 years until the oil price slump. But it was no reflection of any weakness in other parts of the country last year.

Canada’s economy in 2017 had one of its most broad-based expansions ever, with no region recording a deterioration and GDP rising in every province for the first time since 2011.

Quebec’s economy grew 3.1 percent in 2017, the strongest pace for that province since 2000 and twice its rate of growth in 2016. Ontario’s GDP rose 2.8 percent in 2017.

Nationally, Canada’s economy expanded 3.3 percent in 2017, according to the release, which is based on industry data. That’s slightly higher than the 3 percent pace recently reported by Statistics Canada under a different expenditure-based measure. Typically those two measures will converge following revisions.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-alberta-bc-lead-provinces-in-gdp-growth/

Seems to me that both provinces are doing just fine without this pipeline. I hope that Alberta has a plan B.

Oil consumption is at an all time high. I have no idea where you got the impression “rapidly changing away from oil”? Please explain this one?

This thread has once again morphed into a debate about oil and pipelines and is starting to take on some of the political overtones that usually lead to some kind of fight. The original topic was a question of gasoline prices curtailing your fishing activity and not an invitation to have yet another go round of pipeline and oil reliance conversation. If you have a comment to make regarding whether or not your fishing activity will be altered due to the rising cost of gasoline, please post it. All other statements as to why it is rising, should the pipeline be built, or any political history lesson are not acceptable and will be removed immediately.

Just put my charter fees up by $50 a trip for the summer. I looked back in the books and the last time I raised prices was 2011....it was time anyway

When fishing is good I could care less about the cost of fuel, When fishing is poor and combine that with a cost of fuel I start to hesitate or change my plans.

I am fishing obsessed tho, i dedicate a good amount of my income to fishing related activities. The price of gas will make me cut out other expenditures before fishing.

Its hard to figure out what the casuals will do as I doubt they spend a lot of time on fishing websites.

Oil haters amaze me.

It’s been the single most important factor in human progression, it’s brought untold millions out of poverty, yet the dreamers treat it like a cancer. One day we can move past it, but that day is a looong way off. Utilize it until then to bring on the next wave of tech that can supplement it, but solar/wind is an absolute joke. No one can argue that without fantasy as their main driver.

BigReel, get that puppy back online so we can at least not have such an important commodity held at ransom by big business. I love the oil workers! I’ve done contract work for oil sands, and I’ve seen what you guys put up with.

Interesting choice of cancer as your analogy, Floater, as oil related energy, as well as plastics and other synthetics derived from oil have allowed humans to buck natural poulation limiters time and again, such that human population growth continues on its exponential growth path - 7.6 billion and counting! Human population and cancer cells have something in common - they grow at uncontrolled rates and we all know that cancerous tumour growth, unchecked, kills its host ...

Point being I’d hope we’d all agree that oil and gas development, in moderation - like anything, has many great benefits. However, there is a significant difference between oil consumption and waste at current rates with say 2-3 billion people on the planet vs 10-12 billion people in the very near future. Whether you believe its an issue today or not, eventually the production of plastic waste and emissions like CO2 are unsustainable as the one undeniable fact is that the earth and its atmosphere are finite and all finite systems collapse if growth and waste production aren’t checked.

Cheers!

Ukee

Only took 3 posts for the message below to be ignored. Going to shut this down if people can't stay on topic.

This thread has once again morphed into a debate about oil and pipelines and is starting to take on some of the political overtones that usually lead to some kind of fight. The original topic was a question of gasoline prices curtailing your fishing activity and not an invitation to have yet another go round of pipeline and oil reliance conversation. If you have a comment to make regarding whether or not your fishing activity will be altered due to the rising cost of gasoline, please post it. All other statements as to why it is rising, should the pipeline be built, or any political history lesson are not acceptable and will be removed immediately.

Sorry, I’m guilty!

On topic, these gas prices have made me more aware of my lead-footed ways and not surprisingly I get terrible mileage in my older Honda Ridgeline. This past weekend drove from lower mainland home to Kamloops then on a loop to radium Banff, lake Louise and Golden. Despite a mix of City and Mtn hwy driving, by easing up, taking our time and enjoying the drives, my gas mileage improved by more than 4L/100km! Almost a saw off w/ the increased prices.

Cheers!

Ukee

That is because Victorians are polite. Where the politeness ends is when some oil bullies have no problem jeopardizing our coast with tanker spills for their benefits. Who do you think will have to live with a forever ruined coast, gummed up with bitumen? Some red neck Albertans or BC residents? Albertans will just shrug their shoulders and move on. We will have to live with the mess left behind. Only few people here have a problem with the actual pipeline. The issue is the 7 fold tanker traffic through a treacherous coastline with unique wildlife and dense population.
Your speech does not suit your name"Calmsea" name calling and mudslinging will get you nowhere. Also a loss of respect from others especially those who are the recipients of such.

Back