Looking for opinions on Dual Console boats

Hello. I am in the early process of trying to find my future boat. I would love a cabbed aluminum fishing boat but will never sell the wife and kids on it. I think my only option is something like a striper 23ft dual console or something similar. still can lounge on the boat, maybe pull a skier. I can still rig it for fishing. I live in Vernon so 80 percent of the time will be on big lakes fishing, lounging, or cruising. The other 20% salmon fishing on the Chuck. anyone have any experience with the Dual Console style boats? Any brands other then striper to look into or avoid? I see a lot of the popular boat builders are now offering this style of boat. New ones are a little out of my range right now but there should be some used ones available once in a while. I am thinking 23ft would be about right with a hard top.

IMO dual console is a good boat design. Like most designs there are pros and cons. My Previous boAt was a 16 ft. dual console, current boat is a 20 ft cuddy cabin.

Dual console boats offer more room at the helm than a cuddy of same length and beam, plus more room under the canvas. Easy to access the anchor. Often good storage up front. Just back from driving a 25 ft Chapparral Suncoast on holidays, great design dual console, good family boat, recreational platform.

One serious drawback can be taking on water up front in a dual console design. Took two greenies in a row in my 16 foot Harbercraft, fortunately the snaps and canvas held. Talk about pucker factor. :) Taking a big wave over the bow can fill the front with, quite literally, with a ton of water ( one cubic meter). A good tight cover will shed water MOST of the time. Some designs have scuppers to drain this area. This would be my only concern with this design on salt water.

Last edited:
I have a bayliner 190br. For the size it is very comfortable to fish out of as the helm is pushed forward giving lots of space to work in the back. No problem to have three or four guys in the boat. It has also served me well with the family on the lake. I have had a couple rough goes coming out of the north arm and wished I had a closed bow though. They have yet to design the perfect boat for every situation.

I have a dual console too, and love it. They’re a great compromise for someone with a family. They’re great cruisers with the bow rider area, mine has a hardtop with a tow bit up high for wake boarding, and it’s got a self bailing deck which is a great fishing platform.
The head is nice to have too. All round, a perfect family boat.

For fishing in the salt chuck, I would not use a dual console. It is not a matter if but WHEN. Sooner or later you are going to get a greeny over the front.

For fishing in the salt chuck, I would not use a dual console. It is not a matter if but WHEN. Sooner or later you are going to get a greeny over the front.
I'd disagree. Like any boat, you get premium (like mine) dual consoles and lesser ones. Mine has good freeboard and it's self-bailing, so I'd be happier in it taking one over the bow, than in one of the non-self-bailing boats that would have to pump that water out. It's no different to a center console in terms of the bow area being uncovered. It's the same hull as their center console boat, just a different topside. I've had my boat 45miles offshore tuna fishing without any problems.

I also have a dual console welded aluminum 20 ft self bailing, never have I had water come over the bow. love the extra room on the front, the wife likes to stretch out and read her book and I like to bbq while fishing and is easy to hop on and off when beached. and also has lots of accessible storage

Dang, I wish I never saw this thread, I was already having enough troubles deciding on style of boat to buy. That Dorado is nice... Seems kinda pricey though? I've been unexpectedly caught on some bad days when I had my 18' Legend but the bow cover kept the water out.

with a dual console /open bow, it is not the first or second swell that swamps you,, it is the third one. first one bow goes up, second one washes in, third one fills and rolls the boat over. seen it. yes eriks yours is alot more seaworthy than smaller dual, but in no way would i work or go out in an open ocean situation in a dual console/open bow boat. no matter how big.

with a dual console /open bow, it is not the first or second swell that swamps you,, it is the third one. first one bow goes up, second one washes in, third one fills and rolls the boat over. seen it. yes eriks yours is alot more seaworthy than smaller dual, but in no way would i work or go out in an open ocean situation in a dual console/open bow boat. no matter how big.

You’re absolutely right about not wanting to work on an open bow boat. I totally get that.
Like anything in life though, choosing a boat is a compromise. I need to keep the wife happy, and a dual console does it for her. I choose my offshore days carefully, and feel safe in my boat on those days.
Dual consoles are a great compromise for a family boat. They do very well as a bow rider on lakes, are a decent sport boat (no ballast tanks though) and some of them are great fishing platforms too. They do a decent job of covering all the bases and are/were one of the fastest growing segments of the market for these reasons.

Go to one of the fishing lodges off of Haida Gwaii, most of their boats are centre console, open bow just like a dual console or bowrider. They go out in some really snotty weather, especially when they do the tuna trips where they are 10-12 miles offshore in the slop. They work great, I have never seen a problem with them. The driver and trim control are part of a good, dry ride too. 18' long is a usual length.

Go to one of the fishing lodges off of Haida Gwaii, most of their boats are centre console, open bow just like a dual console or bowrider. They go out in some really snotty weather, especially when they do the tuna trips where they are 10-12 miles offshore in the slop. They work great, I have never seen a problem with them. The driver and trim control are part of a good, dry ride too. 18' long is a usual length.

Good point Aquaholic! The risk of swamping may be mitigated by boat design related to how much water the boat takes in over the bow and fast it drains. Good Drainage in the bow coupled with a self bailing deck are key.

Back