Water in the oil

I have the boat back and kicker is running well now. Had a bad CDI box, it had started to fail. Anyway's, I didn't want to take the boat out a run the big motor without making sure the kicker was in good order.
I took the boat out this morning to run the big motor and see if my water in the oil issue is resolved. It is not resolved. The motor didn't run well. It got up on plane but just barely. I had my PCV hoses unhooked from the carb intake to make sure I wasn't going to be sucking moisture into the carb. It didn't take long for steam to be pumping out of both sides. I went back in and took off my valve covers and they were coated with a thick layer of the white cream. The oil looked pretty good on the dipstick but when i pulled the oil out it was creamy again.
I've had a pressure test done on the cooling system and all was good, no leaks. The coolant level is staying the same so I'm not losing coolant. This all started happening after my 2nd run of the season. I had changed the exhaust manifolds and risers just before the start of the season. i'm starting to think that I might have an exhaust manifold that might be faulty ie, the water jacket that surrounds the exhaust section of the manifold could be leaking into the exhaust section and then getting into the cylinders that way. Is there anyway to test the exhaust manifold for leaks?
I'm getting to the end of my rope and missing all of the good early season fishing :(

These guy's use to test them but I'm unsure if they still do.
They are in Courtenay / Comox Valley
Island Radiator & Battery
250-334-4932

Is your cooling system half closed or full? Reason I ask is if it was full closed, you would have to see coolant loss. If no coolant loss it's not the manifolds. If your system is half closed ie raw risers you could have no coolant loss but raw water entering the cylinders.

I think I''ve found the problem. I ran the boat on the muffs until it got warm with the intention of pulling the starboard exhaust manifold and riser. I chose that one because it was easier to do than the port and the riser was running quite a bit warmer than the other side. Not hot enough that you couldn't hold your hand on it but warmer than it should be. When I pulled the manifold and riser out as one unit I immediately saw moisture in the front two outlets on the manifold. The manifold is either faulty or cracked from the manufacturer or the riser gasket is not working correctly. I did change that gasket once before as I had a couple spares so I'm thinking it's the manifold.

Don't use paper gaskets. Use the graphite ones if possible. They are way thicker and seem to seal better. Good job good luck

I ran water thru the manifold and riser outside on a table, no leak. Perhaps it will only leak when being run on the motor, heat vibration etc

You may have to pressure test with shop air in a bucket of soapy water.
Just for future reference a quick head gasket check is to put the expansion tube in a half full bottle of water and look for bubbles when everything is warmed up. Bubbles are telling you the coolant is being pressurized by combustion pressure. A weak rad cap could give false readings though so make sure it's new.

You may have to pressure test with shop air in a bucket of soapy water.
Just for future reference a quick head gasket check is to put the expansion tube in a half full bottle of water and look for bubbles when everything is warmed up. Bubbles are telling you the coolant is being pressurized by combustion pressure. A weak rad cap could give false readings though so make sure it's new.
I did get the pressure test done on the cooling system. It held pressure ato 14psi. Could it still be a head gasket if the system is holding 14psi.

I did get the pressure test done on the cooling system. It held pressure ato 14psi. Could it still be a head gasket if the system is holding 14psi.
Not likely but the bubble test is a easy check.
Does this have a composite intake manifold? If so the vortec engines are known to have bad intake gaskets and it could be that too.

Not likely but the bubble test is a easy check.
Does this have a composite intake manifold? If so the vortec engines are known to have bad intake gaskets and it could be that too.
No it doesn't have a composite intake. No vortec. The pressure test would have detected any intake manifold gasket leak would it not.

No it doesn't have a composite intake. No vortec. The pressure test would have detected any intake manifold gasket leak would it not.
Not always. Hot engine might leak and cold not.
I can't see your new manifolds and risers being faulty. Are the new risers the same height? If they aren't high enough, water could be getting drawn in depending on the cam overlap.
Could it be the water pump timing cover gasket.?
BTW I'm a red seal diesel mechanic so know engines pretty good. Every ones different. Trying to help with gentle dialog that's all.
There has to be coolant loss!

Time to pull the intake take a close look at the gaskets. Next take the heads off. If the engine was ever overheated the heads will be warped and or gaskets blown.
Personally I'm leaning towards warped head or heads.

I would take the risers and manifolds back to where you bought them and get them to pressure test them. There might be a defect when they were cast.

Ok MRWood let's check the manifolds and risers another way.
I'm assuming the riser is raw water cooled and the manifold is antifreeze cooled.
Reassemble the riser and manifold you took off with a new gasket. With the antifreeze drained, hook the muffs to the leg and turn the hose on full. Remove all your spark plugs, crank the engine over (with the ign wire off the coil). While cranking if water is coming out the plug holes you know it's the risers or gaskets.
So if no water comes out, fill the anifreeze and re test.
If no water or coolant comes out after filling antifreeze well call em good.

Ok MRWood let's check the manifolds and risers another way.
I'm assuming the riser is raw water cooled and the manifold is antifreeze cooled.
Reassemble the riser and manifold you took off with a new gasket. With the antifreeze drained, hook the muffs to the leg and turn the hose on full. Remove all your spark plugs, crank the engine over (with the ign wire off the coil). While cranking if water is coming out the plug holes you know it's the risers or gaskets.
So if no water comes out, fill the anifreeze and re test.
If no water or coolant comes out after filling antifreeze well call em good.
in the pictures they are both raw water cooled

Back