2018 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

First time fishing the area. Fished between Epsom and Francis Peninsula between 8-12. Two to the boat one keeper. 8lb red hatchery. First time dropping our prawn trap last night only ended up with 10. Normally we crab right off the dock in Mediera Park but now with the boat we tried dropping the traps in the harbour. With 3 separate soaks we got nothing, bait wasn't even touched.

I am heading to Pender Harbour next weekend and planning on fishing Epsom. Never fished the area before. Was wondering if anyone could suggest some general areas near Epsom point (or between Pender Harbour and Epsom point) where it would be good to drop prawn traps? Thanks in advance!

I am heading to Pender Harbour next weekend and planning on fishing Epsom. Never fished the area before. Was wondering if anyone could suggest some general areas near Epsom point (or between Pender Harbour and Epsom point) where it would be good to drop prawn traps? Thanks in advance!
Right out in front of the harbour is generally a good prawn area. Anywhere in the 300 ft area.

Commercial boys fired up yesterday for prawns, there were strings set all over the place last night when I was out. We had to hide from the wind at upwood most of the night but managed two keepers one around 18 the other 10, released one around the 10 range too. Spoons and hootchies

Went 2 for 3 yesterday around Upwood. Released an undersized, kept an 8, lost 1 a little bigger about 10' from the boat.

Been slower for me then years past, working pretty hard for >10lb fish. Hopefully this week changes things.

Went 2 for 3 last night out in the chop, kept an 8lber. Still searching for the big ones. Wish we picked tonight to go out tho, looks deadly out there.

Reports from Epsom yesterday morning were really good. So @LIVELINES and I went out first thing. Battled the tide and current for a fairly uneventful morning. We picked up gear and ran to Upwood trolled around a bit and found some fish. We found a tack that produced double header after double header. Kept our limit and released a lot. All on 602 and 228 4" tubbys. In 200 to 300 feet and 150 down on the rigger.IMG_1313.JPG

Upwood was the place to be yesterday, into the double digits on landed fish, but I had trouble finding the <10lbers (1st world problems lol)

Rafted up for lunch and bevy's, and got an unreal shot of some chinook honing on some herring and the bait ball exploding away from them.

@ChilliSpoons Custom painted "BigBangTheory" spoon boated the most fish, directly outfishing bait on the other side.

20180519_162835.jpg

20180519_171651.jpg

GET OUT THERE

I don't know about you guys, but this was the weekend I've been waiting for for awhile now. My biggest was only 12, but daymn the action was hot and so were the fish.

Sounds like a great weekend Burban. What gear and depths were working best for you? Might be in the neighbourhood later this week. Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like a great weekend Burban. What gear and depths were working best for you? Might be in the neighbourhood later this week. Thanks for any advice.

Different on both days but the usual depths, 75-90 was good and 120-150 produced as well. Had to move around to find them.

Upwood was the place to be yesterday, into the double digits on landed fish, but I had trouble finding the <10lbers (1st world problems lol)

Rafted up for lunch and bevy's, and got an unreal shot of some chinook honing on some herring and the bait ball exploding away from them.

@ChilliSpoons Custom painted "BigBangTheory" spoon boated the most fish, directly outfishing bait on the other side.

View attachment 37928

View attachment 37929

GET OUT THERE

I’m glad those spoons are working out for you.

Hey guys! Booked a place around secret cove for 4 days during the 3rd week of June. I’m not 100% certain about the tides and if my boat will be grounded at low tide? Tide table says the low tide is about 3-4ft everyday. I attached a photo of the area. Does anyone have any specific info on this channel? Will I be able to dock at low tide or will I be in the mud.

Thanks

BBB

Attachments

• 45FC4966-AB66-4BE1-95F9-455F44BDD4EF.png
    45FC4966-AB66-4BE1-95F9-455F44BDD4EF.png
    613.9 KB · Views: 42
Hey guys! Booked a place around secret cove for 4 days during the 3rd week of June. I’m not 100% certain about the tides and if my boat will be grounded at low tide? Tide table says the low tide is about 3-4ft everyday. I attached a photo of the area. Does anyone have any specific info on this channel? Will I be able to dock at low tide or will I be in the mud.

Thanks

BBB

that area is known as the Long Arm, can get pretty low tide wise especially at the marker to the entrance of the long arm in secret cove. You should be able to nav ok around there aslong as you watch your sounder.

Headed up to Thormanby to fish for 4 days - leaving tonight. Any intel on the fish up there? Will likely be fishing Epsom, Sangster and anywhere else you guys may recommend. Thanks in advance!

Back