Algae buildup on lines

el.Pereh

had a very rough go with it yesterday in the thrasher area. Took two rods out of the game and has completely gummed up a 180’ of cable. Any tips for removal or just replace the cable and line?

I'm having similar issues. After an hour of trolling around Bowen yesterday the clips started popping because the algae buildup on the lines increased drag. It's awful and difficult to remove. I'd love some magic solution. I've heard of some guys pinching the line as it comes in and sliding it off the end and retying. As for your cable... not sure but I have the same issue after last night. Gross.

I like braid for this reason. The Algae is still a pain, but with the braid (40lb in my case) I'll pinch the line just before it goes back onto the reel, reel in, and once the algae blob gets big enough I'll make a loop and use my fingernails to remove it. Repeat (and repeat) to stay on top of it. The braid is usually just thin enough to cut through the blob.

For my reels with mono that are all gummed up, I find the fastest way is to throw it overboard and buy a new rod/reel.

I like braid for this reason. The Algae is still a pain, but with the braid (40lb in my case) I'll pinch the line just before it goes back onto the reel, reel in, and once the algae blob gets big enough I'll make a loop and use my fingernails to remove it. Repeat (and repeat) to stay on top of it. The braid is usually just thin enough to cut through the blob.

For my reels with mono that are all gummed up, I find the fastest way is to throw it overboard and buy a new rod/reel.
Yes braid is so much thinner and cuts the Algae really well I take a wet cloth form a loop with a blob of algae and pull repeat till gone

Not advisable when on a fish, but I have done it. When retrieving I pop the clip, reel in and slap the water with the rod tip. It’s doesnt get it all off but it helps.

I pinch the line before the reel and peel it off with my thum nail. When it get too tough, I use plier and close it just enough to catch the algae without touching the line. It takes a few pass and you will get use to it.
I try to keep my gear clean as I don't like loosing fish because of a build up on the line, so I check the bait every 15 min. or so.
Downrigger cables, last retrieve of the day, pinch with wet rag until the tuna cord and clean with pliers.

Was out at Entrance Island today and expected bad algae but had clear waters and no algae at all.

Check your gear lots and remove when it gets to your reel. It sucks but the longer you keep it down the more build up you have.
If I see it on my line when I’m bringing it in I’ll lay the line on the water and whip my rod up so the line rips out of the water. This does a good job as well. Takes some practice.
Be careful of letting it build up in the eyes, you can fray your line as well.
Just starting to clear out of the Secret Cove area of the Sunshine Coast, it was really bad the last month.

Hi Guys, I am sorry to revive this old forum thread, but while searching for solutions to what we are experiencing on the southern end of Lake Huron in Ontario I found this thread and a few others that are describing things that we are just now experiencing. We have some microbiologists looking into this, but this is going to take a lot of time to study. It sounds like you guys have already experienced this, and I wonder if you have any tips, knowledge to share, or maybe an explanation of what this is? It looks like green slime on the line, it starts to bunch up as you bring the line in, and eventually it locks up, and you can no longer reel line in. If you let the line dry out... even for 30 minutes it becomes easier to remove and if you let it dry out completely it turns yellowish green and can be removed for the most part with ease, but some bunches that "turned to cement" need to be broken up before they can be removed. We are also experiencing a lot of line abrasion... I think this is due to cleaning the line off constantly? I have set up extra rods, so I can swap out the dirty rods every 30 mins and put clean ones down, then I wait 20 minutes, clean the dirty ones off and swap again... man it's tedious! Any help, advice, insight as to what this is would be appreciated.

Saltwater algae isn't that tough doesn't abrade line to any degree once it's dry it's pretty much dust.

I find using a rag soaked in bleach can help in dealing with it but then you end up with bleach on your clothes and all over the boat.

Back