17' Hourston transom weight

Bifmalibu

I have a 17 foot hourston. I'm wondering if a 115 horsepower 4 stroke Yamaha and a T8 are too much weight for the transom on this boat. Not really worried about the strength of the transom, more concerned about how the boat will sit in the water. Thanks!

We have a 17 foot Malibu Tyee with the same power. It sits a little low at the stern but not too bad - unless the two fat old guys are landing a fish! ;) We have considered moving the batteries forward but it's not enough of an issue to get us motivated to do it.

i know my old 94 hourston 172 was a little aft heavy with a 115 yam and a 9.9 I moved the battery's under the seats and mounted trim tabs it rode like a dream after that

Hi, i had a 1991 18 foot Hourston with a Johnson 140 and 9.9 . I moved the batteries under the bow and it sat great in the water and handled awesome.

I have a 17’ Hourston with a Suzuki 140 and a Yamaha 9.9 and 2-45 litre fuel tanks in the rear, sits a little stern heavy but nothing crazy. I’m getting a bow fuel tank built to even it out.

Your boat will be rated by the mfgr for max HP. Exceeding that tends in effectively cancel your insurance policy.

Back