2018 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Not much algae, but MASSIVE floating patches of weed (long, brown strands with the little "balls") - very annoying and almost impossible to zig/zag avoid

Not much algae, but MASSIVE floating patches of weed (long, brown strands with the little "balls") - very annoying and almost impossible to zig/zag avoid
Its Sargassum seaweed. An introduced species that was accidentally introduced when Japanese oysters were introduced into BC to replace the smaller native BC oysters. It has since spread from Alaska to Mexico..... and it IS a royal PITA.

Fished Kitty last Thursday. Out with @Waterwolf2230 in his new ride. Can’t say I’ve done nearly 100 kph in a boat before :eek:

Was a very productive day, managed two keepers and a nice P-cod. A couple of long line releases (blame the early season and dusting off the cobwebs). Even had a double header.

Saw lots of nets and lots of bent rods so the action was fantastic. Best area was just south of the south hump (inside).

Tried spoons, plugs and cuttlefish. Most consistent producer was a Mystic Green Fire-N-Ice flasher and a SG40R ‘Vanilla Ice’ cuttlefish.

The Tackle Shack custom Tomic ‘TSS Wonderbread’ spoon also saw some good action.

All in all, a good 4 hours on the water. Saw some decent bait and boxed a 12 and 14 lb, both were red with the one being almost sockeye red.

7B795597-C337-4E8B-B02C-2A8D3D4DC2F7.jpeg

Took a friend out to Kitty this afternoon and seen lots of bait on the finder but not much luck on the rod. Managed 1 keeper on anchovy at 175 feet. Beautiful day out there.

The mention of P-cod brings up a question - since I've been reasonably lucky and the freezer is now full of salmon, and since the wife actually prefers cod - any suggestions for actually targeting the P-cod? I've always just gotten them as a "by-catch" - rock/ling etc I've gotten since a kid so no issues there, but the pacific not as much.
Thoughts?

The mention of P-cod brings up a question - since I've been reasonably lucky and the freezer is now full of salmon, and since the wife actually prefers cod - any suggestions for actually targeting the P-cod? I've always just gotten them as a "by-catch" - rock/ling etc I've gotten since a kid so no issues there, but the pacific not as much.
Thoughts?

Just jig bottom with a large Buzzbomb or even a Norwegian jig. Cod aren’t too bright and like a slow presentation I’ve found.

There were a number of areas where they were common and predictable but I’ve been told the commercial boats hit that area hard a couple of summers ago. They may be starting to bounce back a bit.

You can also try trolling a plug really slow right on bottom. Even come to a dead stop and let the plug just float. I like plugs as I think they seem to help stave off dogfish.

Send me a PM and I can send you a couple of areas to try to target.

Beautiful day at the K.C. hump: sunny and rippled water. Lots of boats out there and 2 nice red springs for me. 157' on the rigger with a purple haze flasher and herring aid spoon.

Love the post Foxsea.The wind has not been in my favor the last week."Bates beach web cam ".keeps me alive, in the 14.5' tinny .needed to work today to keep the dream alive.Morings are calmer than afernoon the last week .

Me to! I actually launched from comox harbour early this morning with the hopes of the hump - got to the pt. holmes can and found a pretty heavy nw chop - too much for the old Hourston, so trolled for a bit over by the bar - nothing found there, so over to tree island for a little nap ;-)

I was also out there for the tide change this afternoon. We got kept 4 from 13 to 21 lbs and released and lost a few others.
240 on a armytuck hootchie and 602 tubby

Question on regs - is the Sentry shoal finfish closure a new thing?

Staying at pacific playgrounds this summer and was hoping to fish Sentry...but I guess I’ll have to focus efforts elsewhere? Shoal south of Sentry or run to Kitty?

Question on regs - is the Sentry shoal finfish closure a new thing?

Staying at pacific playgrounds this summer and was hoping to fish Sentry...but I guess I’ll have to focus efforts elsewhere? Shoal south of Sentry or run to Kitty?
Yes that has been closed for many years. I would put Campbell River, green can, at the top of the list as Kitty can slow down after June. Grants reef can be productive at times as well. Best to get your intel from the locals when you get to pacific playgrounds as things change from year to year.

Fished Kitty yesterday morning and landed a nice 20 lb spring on Army Truck hootchie at 200 feet. Nice day on the water.

Attachments

• spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 79
I gotta get back out there!

Yes that has been closed for many years. I would put Campbell River, green can, at the top of the list as Kitty can slow down after June. Grants reef can be productive at times as well. Best to get your intel from the locals when you get to pacific playgrounds as things change from year to year.

Thanks for the info. Will prob run to the green can as I’m familiar with fishing there. Grants would be a bit of a longer run, but I know some good fish come out of there. I assume I can still fish the hump south of Sentry shoal as it’s outside the 1.5 mile radius of the marker. Worth fishing there?

Fished in the Royal Lepage derby on the weekend. No big ones for us we went to Lewis channel then to Elizabeth island looking for a big inlet fish. Nice on the water released a bunch 9-13 lbs and kept a 16. Blue meanie and hearding spoon at 70/110 ft.

Yesterday went to the green can first light had good action on the chovie and army truck we stayed shallow 90/110 ft the whole morning while the the rest of the pack moved out to deeper water. It sure is nice to get bites at a reasonable depth instead of 180/220 ft. Tons of bait around and a Hump feed all around us.

There are a lot of fish around right now get out and enjoy the fishing and the wild life.

Back