Which road to Bamfield

fish stalker

I know quite a few of you do the drive. Wondering if you could give me some advice please! If you had to drive to Bam this weekend in a semidecent vehicle with a bunch of kids which way would you drive? Coming from Vic, never been there. In threw Port Alberni or Lake Cowichan, which side if so? Tight lines!! :)

Time wise, Port is a extra 30 minutes. If towing Port is the way to go. A whole lot more pavement going the Port way so a lot easier on the trailer.

The cowichan route is almost always rougher. that being said, it's not ridiculous either. Slow it down, take it easy and don't beat the **** out of your vehicle. I don't think I'd take a Toyota carolla through there or anything.

The Alberni route is a nicer (drive faster) ride.

When I go, I drive in through cowichan and back out via Alberni to get the whole experience to enjoy the scenery. But I'm running an F350.

Don’t do it in a car with light tires. If the roads are freshly graded, watch out for sharp (I call them arrowheads) rocks. Very hard on light duty tires.
Travel safe
Stosh

Don’t do it in a car with light tires. If the roads are freshly graded, watch out for sharp (I call them arrowheads) rocks. Very hard on light duty tires.
Travel safe
Stosh
ditto on the tires. Number 1 business in Bamfield =tire repair.

Drive port to bamfield daily, the roads in really good shape. Bit of moisture Saturday so the dust will be down. I carry 2 spares

Back