2018 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

x2^ that is an ancient pic...pacific playgrounds looks to be in its infancy here. the lucky dollar ( now discovery foods ) wasn’t even there yet, that was built early 80’s. my guess this pic is from early 70’s. warms my heart however. grew up on the oyster and spent pretty much my entire childhood fishing it. it’s a shame how much things change. the cutthroat fishing used to be out of this world there..
I too spent many happy hours fly fishing for cutties on the Oyster during the early ‘70’s. Great time.
T2

Was out off of Tribune Bay yesterday for a couple of hours. Picked up 2 keepers and released one under. 200 foot mark army truck hootchie.

Was out fishing for a few hours Saturday March 31st of Hornby Island, fished the East side of Flora Islet. Perfect afternoon, glass calm. Fished 13o feet deep with a 3.5 inch Gibbs spoon, went 2 for 2. There was a huge herring in the belly.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180331_130606 copy.jpg
    MVIMG_20180331_130606 copy.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 209
  • MVIMG_20180331_172516 copy.jpg
    MVIMG_20180331_172516 copy.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 194
Out at Kitty yesterday afternoon and managed 1 keeper. Used an army truck flasher and hootchie at 140 feet. Water was flat calm but the water clarity was very limited. Could barley see the ball past 8 feet.

Fished the humps a couple times last week, thursday I got a couple keepers in the morning (a couple inches over), both on green hootchies, then a lot of undersized fish the rest of the day. Does it fish better on the ebb than flood? Seemed to be the case for me. Friday I ran out again the morning, picked up a few undersized fish out front, then heard there was better fish further north on the shoals so I made the run and it paid off with a 12 & 9 in an hour. Probably got into 6 fish in the hour so it made for a fun solo day. 150-200' down on the wire. Nothing huge but there was definitely some fish around. Bellies were stuffed with big herring so 4" spoons were working. Popped into the Tackle Shop at Pacific Playgrounds and would recommend to anyone to check it out. Tons of gear there.

out at kitty today. Fantastic on the water. No less than 10 springs to the boat lost a good screamer. 4 keepers. 220 t0 230 on the rigger. Strip was the best producer.

out at kitty today. Fantastic on the water. No less than 10 springs to the boat lost a good screamer. 4 keepers. 220 t0 230 on the rigger. Strip was the best producer.
Are you cutting your own strip? We used to use it every winter off of Willow and shelter points.
Sorry about you losing your friend! :)

At Kitty Coleman last night, kept a 21lb white and a 9lb. Released a couple others on the small side. 4” spoons green/glow

Was out bright and early at the hump - and apparently Comox fishers don't like to get up early, as I was the only one there till 8am or so - but apparently everyone else had the right idea, as only small shakers until ~10am, and then the bite was on - had my limit by 10:30 and pulled up and went home - didn't even get a long enough soak on the crab trap!
BTW, were do people buy bait in Comox? Marina Gas N Go only had herring, none of the other gas stations even carried bait.

Yes, the salmon have been in very playful mood last week 10 days. Gettin an even mix of whites/reds. Am a hootchie man myself.. anyone else think the whites are much better fighters than reds??

Can't find many pcod, even the usual, **** me off dog fish, seem to be scarce...

Good luck out there, give me a wave when you go by... I'll be the one with the rider flag.. Ha ha

PB

BTW, were do people buy bait in Comox? Marina Gas N Go only had herring, none of the other gas stations even carried bait.

I buy bait at Gone Fishin in Courtenay, or the Co-op gas station in Comox

Was out bright and early at the hump - and apparently Comox fishers don't like to get up early, as I was the only one there till 8am or so - but apparently everyone else had the right idea, as only small shakers until ~10am, and then the bite was on - had my limit by 10:30 and pulled up and went home - didn't even get a long enough soak on the crab trap!
Nice report! I've been using glow cop car spoons with some good results. How deep were you finding your fish? Thanks.

I should try experimenting with lures more - i tend to stick with what has worked in the past (but obviously doesnt expand the knowledge base) - coho killers in the winter, anchovies summer - to answer your question, 190-250' seemed to be the productive depth for me

So, off to the Hump bright and early this am, only to round Pt. Holmes and find a decent NW swell still running - and after pounding into it for a few minutes, became painfully obvious was too much for my old Hourston - so turned tail and started to troll back - turns out I didn't need to go any farther, as within an hour had 2 nice fat beauties in the cooler (both ~75cm) - 150' of water and anchovies.
How is one supposed to spend their retirement fishing, if you are limited out and back at the dock by 09:30am :) (now I've just jinxed myself!).
One of them had a stomach full of white flat worms

Attachments

• 20180517_080145.jpg
    20180517_080145.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 123
IMG_1526742756903.jpg Got the chance to fish Kitty on Friday morning. Hit the water about 9 and off by 1. Managed to land 3, released a just under and had the obligatory long line release about 50 ft behind the boat. I swear it was another under but the skipper flipped me crap about it the rest of the trip! Also had a couple hit and miss ones still waiting to be caught. Had fish on both anchovies and plastics on or near bottom. Oh yea, and we even managed to nail a P-Cod that lived another day! A great trip and a beauty day on the water!

Last edited:
Made it out to Kitty this morning. Rough getting there but stuck it out. Water finally flattened out. Managed a keeper off the bottom on anchovy. Lots of boats out there today but I didn't see much action.

View attachment 37913 Got the chance to fish Kitty on Friday morning. Hit the water about 9 and off by 1. Managed to land 3, released a just under and had the obligatory long line release about 50 ft behind the boat. I swear it was another under but the skipper flipped me crap about it the rest of the trip! Also had a couple hit and miss ones still waiting to be caught. Had fish on both anchovies and plastics on or near bottom. Oh yea, and we even managed to nail a P-Cod that lived another day! A great trip and a beauty day on the water!

I think it's something to do with the boat, Brian. I had 3 long line releases on that boat Thursday. Certainly couldn't be the rod operator...:)

J
I think it's something to do with the boat, Brian. I had 3 long line releases on that boat Thursday. Certainly couldn't be the rod operator...:)

I hear ya BB...with our advanced years of combined experience hard to believe we could have pooched the reel job! At least I didn't wait until it got to the boat for a look before losing it, so I can stick with my story about it being undersized anyway. ;)

Back