Filleting Knife

Just make a cut along the belly and pull the guts out, then take the sides off. You could use a standard filet knife or even a bait knife if you wanted. Whatever works best for you!
Then do you take the rib bones out with the same knife or a filet knife?

Just make a cut along the belly and pull the guts out, then take the sides off. You could use a standard filet knife or even a bait knife if you wanted. Whatever works best for you!

For sure, was just thinking the salmon slicer might be a bit long for opening the belly. Currently use a dexter 8” filet knife for everything but the extra length could come in handy.

Then do you take the rib bones out with the same knife or a filet knife?
At the lodge I usually use the salmon slicer to take the top half of the ribcage off but leaving the bottom half on. Its a bit awkward so a reg filet knife might be easier for you. I cut along the bones underneath and then through them. It helps keep the filets in tact and they get a bit more meat. If I need hali bait sometimes Ill cut the ribcage off along with a thin belly strip.

For those of you guys using the salmon slicers, what do you use for gutting? Regular filet knife or something smaller?

For fish under 15lbs I don’t even bother gutting.

Cut behind the gill plate, slice along the back bone. Trim off the blood line and stomach bones. Done.

I had to check it out & I ended up ordering one.......

View attachment 37890
You wont regret it.
I read a review on their site, it was some guy who had tried a bunch of filleting knives and had several on his boat, once he bought the NA knife he threw all the others out. It rang a bell with me.
My wife loves the chef knife and I recently bought her the pairing knife.
Look forward to the feed back

Those North Arm knives do look great I'm thinking about a new paring knife and theirs is just the right size.

You wont regret it.
I read a review on their site, it was some guy who had tried a bunch of filleting knives and had several on his boat, once he bought the NA knife he threw all the others out. It rang a bell with me.
My wife loves the chef knife and I recently bought her the pairing knife.
Look forward to the feed back

I just noticed all the prices are in US dollars..? Did you end up paying the exchange rate on your purchase?

Oh yes.... I see that now

I use at least 4 different knives. 1 8" chef knife for cutting into Salmon/Hali carcasses and through bones. 1 12" Slicer for siding out salmon. 1 Fillet knife for taking out rib bones. and 1 very flexible Rapala for Halis. Maintenance is cut down with my system. Didn't pay much for the professional knives as I found them in a thrift store...

For those of you guys using the salmon slicers, what do you use for gutting? Regular filet knife or something smaller?

Don't slice the belly open, lay the fish on its side and cut behind the vent and all the way forward taking the whole belly in one piece. Then take the two fillets off. Guts and gills and head should come out as one piece. When you barbecue the whole belly piece you'll thank me

I’ve liked my 8” penn fillet knife that was $20 at island outfitters. I just slice the sides right off and don’t cut the belly open. I can fillet a fish in about 45 seconds.
Fun fact. The knife stays sharp if you don’t catch fish.

Has anyone tried the new offset serrated knives for breaking down salmon? Bubba Blade and Cuda come to mind. I personally love the handle/feel of the Bubba Blades but I have an old Fiskars that has the most amazing edge so I keep going back to it. Anyway I’m interested in feedback on those offset knives...

Attachments

• F230BBE0-4C64-443E-B413-96B7746F2892.jpeg
    F230BBE0-4C64-443E-B413-96B7746F2892.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 38
Back