What's for dinner tonight ?

Recently acquired fresh Halibut

20180325_130913_1.jpg

End result
20180325_140500_1.jpg

hK9PN7

Was craving an old favorite dish we go downtown for from Red Ginger (the old Kam's Singaporean Cuisine) restaurant. So decided to try to replicate it at home. It turned out almost exactly like Kam's dish. So good. Sweet and savory delicious.

For the de- boned thigh meat coating I mixed cake flour, baking powder, corn starch, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cracked pepper, sea salt, citrus spice mix with two eggs. Then rolled the meat around in the mixture. Then I sauteed some julienne onion, carrots and chopped green onion. For the glaze sauce I melted butter then mixed in honey, brown sugar, light soy sauce, sambal oelek chile paste, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, minced ginger and minced garlic. When the glaze sauce heated and simmered I added the sauted onion, carrots and green onion to it. After double frying (makes the coating extra crispy while keeping the inside tender) the meat pieces I tossed the meat in the glaze sauce to completely coat it. Served it over home made coconut rice and garnished with lemon zest, chives, cilantro and roasted sesame seeds.

20180325_182930.jpg

20180325_185547.jpg

20180325_191729.jpg

20180325_192152.jpg

20180325_193150.jpg

20180325_193754.jpg

Those burgers look awesome.... anyway I could get a recipe rain city
Its hardly a recipe but sure! I don't use any filler or egg. Just hand chop into small peices. I never use a food processor because I like the texture of hand chopped better, like a tartar. I add a bit of red pepper, parsley or dill, green onions, sometimes jalapeno, sometimes a little garlic, salt and pepper. The best thing to do is form the patties and leave them in the fridge for at least a half hour. Because there's no "glue" added you have to be really careful when frying them. Get the pan really hot and cook them for three or four minutes on one side, flip and cook for another minute. Getting a good sear on them helps hold them together. You can't really bbq these, they'll fall apart. I make a tarter sauce, I pickle some red onions, chopped lettuce and avacado.

Don't forget to take pictures or it never happened. ;)

Its hardly a recipe but sure! I don't use any filler or egg. Just hand chop into small peices. I never use a food processor because I like the texture of hand chopped better, like a tartar. I add a bit of red pepper, parsley or dill, green onions, sometimes jalapeno, sometimes a little garlic, salt and pepper. The best thing to do is form the patties and leave them in the fridge for at least a half hour. Because there's no "glue" added you have to be really careful when frying them. Get the pan really hot and cook them for three or four minutes on one side, flip and cook for another minute. Getting a good sear on them helps hold them together. You can't really bbq these, they'll fall apart. I make a tarter sauce, I pickle some red onions, chopped lettuce and avacado.

Don't forget to take pictures or it never happened. ;)

Thanks, definitely give this a try

Meat **** anyone?
Pre ordered an Alberta prime grade AAAA prime rib roast from Cioffi's and had them dry age it for 46 days for me. Picked it up yesterday along with some short ribs (to die for braised with a red wine herb, garlic, tomato veggie sauce), chuck steak (I grind for burgers) Italian sausage, imported cheeses, and a couple bone marrow bones (I roast in the oven with salt, pepper, garlic and chives then spread on artisan toast-crazy delicious). Had them trim and cut the roast up into 1.5" thick steaks. I do a reverse sear on the steaks so the thick cut is great for that after searing the outside then finishing in the oven for an even internal temperature. This is some of the best meat I have ever eaten. Dry aging gives a rich complex flavor to the meat. Almost like a sweeter, earthy nutty flavor. So delicious. Buying prime grade long dry aged prime rib is very pricey but when ordering it in a whole roast and in advance saves quite a bit of money. Cioffi's is in Burnaby and they have three stores all on E Hastings; ones a deli, ones a hot food sit in cafe, and the third is the butcher shop. They even bring in Australian Wagyu if your into really crazy melt in your mouth heavy marbled meat. The cost of the Wagyu though is crazy expensive. I bought two Wagyu steaks prior to this trip too but haven't tried them yet.
meatA.jpg

meatB.jpg

meatC.jpg

meatD.jpg

14EE2527-F5A8-4053-9A56-9FE04DD3C384.jpeg I’m out of fish (until I catch a tyee tomorrow),
but this was still a tasty dinner:
BBQ porterhouse steak
Sautéed mushrooms in butter, lemon and white wine
Hand cut roasted potato wedges
Roasted broccoli
2/3 of a bottle of red!
Yummmmmm

Some meals from the past couple weeks. Trying to eat healthier lately and eating much less processed foods and carbs. Have lost 60 lbs in 104 days :)

Spot Prawn Carbonara
SpotPrawnCarbonara1.jpg

SpotPrawnCarbonara2.jpg

Chicken Enchiladas
20180516_182114.jpg

20180516_182650.jpg

Ground Strip Loin Mozza Mushroom Burger with Truffle Garlic Parmesan Fries

2018-05-14 11.55.06.jpg

Hawaiian Tuna Poh-keh (Poke) With Black Ancient Rice
20180511_181559.jpg

Sushi Night
20180430_162757.jpg

Korean Bolgogi Marinated Pork Chop Reverse Seared
20180504_142040.jpg

Three Cheese (mozza, aged white chedder, feta) Pepperoni Roasted Garlic Roasted Pepper Mushroom Pizza
20180507_195214.jpg

Wild Blueberry Chocolate Cheesecake
20180428_165541.jpg

Last edited:
Salmon Burgers! This was my last fillet from last season :(. I better finish building this house soon so I can go fishing again.

View attachment 37123 View attachment 37124

That's good stuff, one of our family favs is similar but with halibut or prawns, we usually go Asian and add coconut fat from the top of a can of milk, ginger, green onions etc. A trick I learned from my favorite celeb chef for these fish patties is to take a bit of the diced mixture and toss it into a food processor or magic bullet with a splash of olive oil then mix it back into the diced pieces. Blending it turns it into a super sticky paste that makes a great binder and makes them bbq friendly. You can also make sure any strong herbs disappear in the paste so you just get a kiss and not a punch in the face when you hit a chunk.

Some meals from the past couple weeks. Trying to eat healthier lately and eating much less processed foods and carbs. Have lost 60 lbs in 104 days :)

Whoa, whoa, whoa there Paul.....you lost 60lbs in 104 days....eating like that!?!?!?! :D:D:D:D

Sign me up for that diet and I only want to lose about 10 right now. :p:p

Whoa, whoa, whoa there Paul.....you lost 60lbs in 104 days....eating like that!?!?!?! :D:D:D:D

Sign me up for that diet and I only want to lose about 10 right now. :p:p
Lol ya Scott I know it's crazy how fast I'm losing weight. I got big lol. Still got more to lose. Ya even some of those meals that look like they are carby aren't except for the hamburger/fries one. That one was wife's mother's day request dinner so I ate more carbs that day. The pizza is a low carb crust recipe, the pasta is a lower carb high fiber pasta, and the cheese cake is a low carb cheesecake with protein powder in it. I'm also working out a few days a week and cycling a few days a week as well as intermittent fasting where I only eat once a day every 23 hrs. When all the weight is lost I want to lose I'll adjust to a more maintenance type of eating schedule. It was the snacking all the time and carbs that was packing on my weight :confused:

Made some fish burgers the other night. Marinated some salmon bellies as well in a teriyaki sauce. Threw them in the bbq. Quite tasty indeed!
Also, some nice garlic aioli sauce for a spread.

Attachments

• fish .jpg
    fish .jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 31
Back