Podding boat vs replacing engine

Jama

Looking like the block is cracked on our 4.3 mercy inboard. Looking for some advice on what to do. Replace/ rebuild in board, pod it or cut losses and look for another boat. Boat is in great shape other than the engine a 2002 Hull.
Thanks

I had a 185 Malibu years ago. Loved the boat but found that the doghouse took up more room than I liked. I personally would pod and go outboard if I still had that boat.

Don't do it. I have malibu 185 with inboard and went down road before. Rebuild motor. I have the 3.0L in mine. If you really love boat you can pod it but I don't think it is worth it. My opinion of running the boat. Some boats I would pod but not mine. If you are looking for a change rebuild and sell it. Right now that boat would fetch good money then get boat you want with out board or podded already.

Been there.... I podded my malibu 185 and love it. The extra room is awesome and the outboard is soooo much quieter.

The numbers being thrown around are no very accurate in my opinion. I was quoted abour $8k for a rebuild of my 3L Volvo. Crate motor was $5k plus new manifolds, whatever else you replace and then labour etc... think more like $10k.

I had my pod done (2500) and tracked down a used 150 verado (7500) with 350hrs. I rigged it myself and was probably $11k ish when done.

At the end of the day i think i would also have been happy with a 115. The 150 has lots of juice.

Just one more data point for ya. In my opinion, a bare hull with a blown motor wont be worth much. Everyone willing to work on a project will want it dirt cheap.

Don't do it. I have malibu 185 with inboard and went down road before. Rebuild motor. I have the 3.0L in mine. If you really love boat you can pod it but I don't think it is worth it. My opinion of running the boat. Some boats I would pod but not mine. If you are looking for a change rebuild and sell it. Right now that boat would fetch good money then get boat you want with out board or podded already.

Haha found this old post too funny.... I am the biggest hypocrit lololol....

Back