Evinrude G2 - My Initial Thoughts

Waterwolf2230

Well I am back from my first trip of the year and first test run in my new RH boat. I figured I'd share my initial thoughts on how the G2's performed and give a bit of context to their fuel efficiency as compared to the other boats in our group. I was previously a Mercury owner 150 Fourstroke. I wasn't super impressed with my Merc. The powerhead failed under warranty after only about 3 weeks. It didn't leave me with a lot of confidence going forward.

Anyway, my decision to go with the G2's were several. First and foremost was the 10 year warranty that they were offering. That alone made it hard to look elsewhere, second was the alleged fuel efficiency, 3 was watching a video comparison from Boattest.com where they had a 200 Yammy and a 150 G2 on the back of a large center console. The Yammy could not get the boat on plane and as a result could only plow 10mph. The G2 even though it was 50 less HP was able to quickly plane the boat and it his a top speed around 35mph. 4 was the fact that there is absolutely NO dealer scheduled maintenance for 5 years or 500hrs. No changing the leg oil every year, not costly 10hrs service. For me that was huge. Lastly I definitely liked the look of them.

As for specs my boat is a 26' RH Seahawk Pro Walkthrough (28' overall) with twin Evinrude G2 - 225HO's. (Max HP for that boat). It was loaded with gear, 4 large men and 450L of fuel. I figure it weighed in around 8500lbs at least.

We fished hard for 4.5 days making the run from Zeballos to Flynn's Cove and put on about 220 nm in those days. I also backtrolled almost all day while jigging. The seas were rough with good size swells and constant wind. I ended up using a total of 300 litres of fuel. I had anticipated on using way more. As for the oil, after 4.5 days of fishing it was still registering full on one and 3/4 on the other (which I used for backtrolling). This was also the break in period when it uses nearly double the oil. Again, I had anticipated way more oil burn. On another note, there is no scheduled break in period, its all done internally.

In our group there was a 27' Larson with a 300 Yammy which was burning 200+ litres/day and a 20' Trophy with a 200 Yammy which was burning about 150 litres/day.

At this point I can say that I'm super happy with the performance. The torque on thos engines is ridiculous and the hole shot is almost instantaneous. It cruises at 28mph@3000rpm burning approximatley 8 gallons/hr. The top speed loaded with fuel etc was 58mph. I also tested with 1 motor up and could easily plane with the single 225 and reached a top speed of 45mph. It also trolled beautifully by using the digital throttle/rpm gauge. It idles in gear at 500 and can adjust in increments of 50 up to 750rpm. My troll speed was between 1.9 and 3.5 from low to high which seems perfect for the type of trolling I do.

Some of the other incidentals that I likes was the ease at which you can flush the motor and how the motor tilts a full 90 degrees having everything out of the water.

Anyway, I know that many of you are super brand loyal to Yamaha but with the cost of fuel being what it is right now I thought I'd share how impressed I am so far with these. Hard to argue that kind of fuel consumption with 87 octane regular fuel. If you are looking at a repower, I'd definitely consider them...

Cheers,

WW

Attachments

• G2 - 250HO.jpg
    G2 - 250HO.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 245
Thanks. . .good chance I'll give those Evinrudes a hard look when my old Yami F150's bite it. . .1500 hrs right now, would like to see 3k.

fb

Runs on banana peels and hits 58mph? Careful Marty, sounds like you're headed back to the future!

That was also right ‘out of the box’ prior to any break in. I think now, they’d easily break the 60 mph mark.

Those G2’s were scary powerful! Great Scott!

Wow Curtis! Great job on that beauty. Also nice to formally see the new ocean camo wrap in action. I hope I’m lucky enough to set foot in her one day ;)

A couple other things that just came to mind...

It was 3 levels of power steering which made handling a breeze. High speed turns were effortless and the 4 blade RX4 prop performed excellent in the rough water.

Secondly is the ‘I-Trim’. I didn’t have to touch the trim a single time all week unless I was loading it on the trailer. It’s auto adjusts the trim to optimize rpm and ride (I actually don’t know all it does, what I do know is that it works and you don’t even need to give it a second thought). It also has a winterized setting where is fogs itself, again saving you money if you aren’t mechanically inclined...

Very cool Curtis. Awesome read and super jealous of your new rig.
My pipe dream to convert my boat to O/B's feels like it makes more sense now :)
Question: Do the 225's only come in the H.O series? If no, what made your decision to go with them?

Very cool Curtis. Awesome read and super jealous of your new rig.
My pipe dream to convert my boat to O/B's feels like it makes more sense now :)
Question: Do the 225's only come in the H.O series? If no, what made your decision to go with them?
Thanks Matthias, no there is a regular 225. In all honesty knowing what I know now regular twin 200’s would have been plenty. I really hate being under powered so wanted to make sure that I didn’t have any second thoughts on that front.

With these 225HO’s it just takes a quick snap of the wrist and it’ll shoot you to the top of a swell in a flash. The throttle response is remarkable. There is a guide in the CR area that is claiming his fuel burn is 25% less when he removed his inboard and added twin G2’s. You’d have to run the numbers but I think it would pay for itself over time.

Unless I'm doing the math wrong here you are seeing over 3.1 mpg overall . That includes the trolling all day. To give you an idea , my last boat weighed roughly the same as yours with a single fuel injected 350hp 3 year old I/O and was getting just over 2.1 miles per gallon at the same speed you were running and that was only running out and back and didn't include trolling. If that's the case those twin G2s combined are burning around 30% less fuel than mine was and give you at least 100hp more than my engine did plus the reliability of two engines. My top speed was 41 mph vs your 60mph. I feel like my math cant be right, but if it is that is actually unbelievable.

Well I am back from my first trip of the year and first test run in my new RH boat. I figured I'd share my initial thoughts on how the G2's performed and give a bit of context to their fuel efficiency as compared to the other boats in our group. I was previously a Mercury owner 150 Fourstroke. I wasn't super impressed with my Merc. The powerhead failed under warranty after only about 3 weeks. It didn't leave me with a lot of confidence going forward.

Anyway, my decision to go with the G2's were several. First and foremost was the 10 year warranty that they were offering. That alone made it hard to look elsewhere, second was the alleged fuel efficiency, 3 was watching a video comparison from Boattest.com where they had a 200 Yammy and a 150 G2 on the back of a large center console. The Yammy could not get the boat on plane and as a result could only plow 10mph. The G2 even though it was 50 less HP was able to quickly plane the boat and it his a top speed around 35mph. 4 was the fact that there is absolutely NO dealer scheduled maintenance for 5 years or 500hrs. No changing the leg oil every year, not costly 10hrs service. For me that was huge. Lastly I definitely liked the look of them.

As for specs my boat is a 26' RH Seahawk Pro Walkthrough (28' overall) with twin Evinrude G2 - 225HO's. (Max HP for that boat). It was loaded with gear, 4 large men and 450L of fuel. I figure it weighed in around 8500lbs at least.

We fished hard for 4.5 days making the run from Zeballos to Flynn's Cove and put on about 220 nm in those days. I also backtrolled almost all day while jigging. The seas were rough with good size swells and constant wind. I ended up using a total of 300 litres of fuel. I had anticipated on using way more. As for the oil, after 4.5 days of fishing it was still registering full on one and 3/4 on the other (which I used for backtrolling). This was also the break in period when it uses nearly double the oil. Again, I had anticipated way more oil burn. On another note, there is no scheduled break in period, its all done internally.

In our group there was a 27' Larson with a 300 Yammy which was burning 200+ litres/day and a 20' Trophy with a 200 Yammy which was burning about 150 litres/day.

At this point I can say that I'm super happy with the performance. The torque on thos engines is ridiculous and the hole shot is almost instantaneous. It cruises at 28mph@3000rpm burning approximatley 8 gallons/hr. The top speed loaded with fuel etc was 58mph. I also tested with 1 motor up and could easily plane with the single 225 and reached a top speed of 45mph. It also trolled beautifully by using the digital throttle/rpm gauge. It idles in gear at 500 and can adjust in increments of 50 up to 750rpm. My troll speed was between 1.9 and 3.5 from low to high which seems perfect for the type of trolling I do.

Some of the other incidentals that I likes was the ease at which you can flush the motor and how the motor tilts a full 90 degrees having everything out of the water.

Anyway, I know that many of you are super brand loyal to Yamaha but with the cost of fuel being what it is right now I thought I'd share how impressed I am so far with these. Hard to argue that kind of fuel consumption with 87 octane regular fuel. If you are looking at a repower, I'd definitely consider them...

Cheers,

WW
i have a G1 150 on my Riverhawk 21ft Coastal.....sick power and planes instantly .....all you say is what i am experiencing as well.!!! could not be more impressed

Nice review Curtis thanks. I've been looking to upgrade my power but in a much lower hp model and looked at the etec to replace my merc. Sometime soon I hope.

x2 for the G2. All I did this spring was replace the fuel filter and fired right up on the driveway(sounds like a cammed out muscle car when out of the water). Glad your fishing trip went well. Can't wait till I get out.

Etec 300 on 24ft seaport medium chop coming from poet book to haggard cove.

Watch "Evinrude etec 300 g2" on YouTube

I also love my g2. Got a 175 hp for my striper seaswirl and the power and performance are awesome.
I recall a pic of that beautiful boat, and at the time you were panning on raising the motor... did you end up doing that? New pic plz!

Ran in to the boat from a Tuff City charter company that had two 250 G2's on the Transom yesterday. He said the motors have been fantastic, very fuel efficient.

From a smaller boat perspective, same results as the fellas posting here with the larger horsepower’s....I recently put a 30hp etec (G1) tiller on my Lund SSV-14. She flys. Instant plane. Sips gas. I’ve had it up to 45km/hr with fishing buddy and gear but I can’t hold on to it...cruises great at 30clicks. I had spent a year looking and had settled on a 25 yammy then I heard about these etecs and they just made sense to me. So much so I almost didn’t go for it because they sounded too good to be true. But glad I did. Very happy so far.

One other perk I didn’t see mentioned here: self fogging. Should you choose to store your boat, no dealer visit required.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back