New fishing spot - did I find one? (Saturna)

AndrewH

Hey guys, looking for a little help here. I come from a hunting community where you gotta work for your 'spots' and they are not generally given up to many people.

I have fished the 'regular' spots around Vancouver with success but I trailer my boat and live basically in Crescent Beach. I would love to find an area where I can skip the trailering process so that has me looking over to Saturna.

I was over yesterday for a couple hours and caught 4 unders (50-58cm) in the area that you can see my track. I did try and following the contours but is there anything else I should be looking for?

I have fished thrasher a little while ago with great success and seem to think that this area should also be holding fish since it is all down the same coast.

thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9722.PNG
    IMG_9722.PNG
    720.6 KB · Views: 166
Looks like youre clear of the RCA, so if you catch fish there then go for it! The fish dont know where we want or expect them to be, they just go where the current and bait takes them.

Hey Andrew (MB_Boy here from HBC) ;)

If you are wanting to stay down that way to keep out of the slot zone...I'd be trying out off East Point on Saturna. Work from Tumbo Island across that opening to Tumbo Channel and around to the south side of east point. If you look at your charts, hopefully it makes sense. From where you were, the only thing I would have done is get out into the deeper water as opposed to those tight contours.

Also from where you are launching it's a pretty equidistant run to Salamanca Pt area which can produce this time of year BUT it is in the slot zone. It's basically around the southeast corner of Galiano.

Your basically fishing the cabbage patch. Gets better later in the year. You can also fish the inside tumbo point. One spots good on the flood, other one the ebb

I've always done pretty well fishing away from the crowd. People love to fish "spots". The thing is, for the most part fish don't restrict themselves to those spots. Like was said, just like at Thrasher at this time of year, the bigger migrating fish are likely in deeper water.

You need to talk to the locals. Play dumb tourist. Fishermen love to boast and tell fish stories. They will tell a tourist all kinds of information because they don't think you're going to horn in on their spot.

Back