Selected Mark Fishery-What do U think

Derby

Crew Member
As post on the other thread; as it didn't get any traction thought I would be throw it out again...

Well done mods. If those who choose to use this forum as a way to discuss fishery management can simply spend more time on ideas that may actually produce opportunity rather than things that unfortunately are out of our control it may allow for it to help us all gain a better understanding of a reasonable path forward.

How about changing the discussion to members views of how a fishery based on a combination of marked fish and size limits like we currently have in place in JdF is working?

Does 85 cm represent a decent fish these days? How many fish bigger than that do you encounter in an average day? How many marked fish do you catch and in what months? What do you think might be something we can do rather than what you think other sectors should do to get ourselves out of this mess?

If we can focus on solutions rather than problems this forum may actually be able to help.

CP

One might ask why?
What is the science on this?
What areas are you discussing?
There are areas with NO hatchery fish, what about them.
What times are you discussing?

Derby I think you should clearly state that BY mid june there will be restrictions in place BY then it will be to late for anyone on this forum not currently not engaged in that process to have a say.

When the Notice goes out in the next month a can guarantee that people will be losing their **** in the respective fishing report threads. The Government has asked recreational fishermen that fish harrison chinook and a few other stocks to MAKE A 35% reduction in their catch.

As Searun has said in previous post their are many ways to achieve this reduction. Cut the daily limit from 2 down to 1. Have a Max and Min Size Limit. You could have complete rolling closer during certain windows of migration.

If we don't give DFO input they will make the reductions for us how they see fit. They may end up doing that anyways who knows.

Does 85 cm represent a decent fish these days? Yes a 15 pound fish is nice How many fish bigger than that do you encounter in an average day? About Half fishing in vancouver and most of the big ones I catch are in August 15th to September 15th How many marked fish do you catch and in what months? Only in winter and spring (mainly at thrasher rock) What do you think might be something we can do rather than what you think other sectors should do to get ourselves out of this mess? I honestly think we should do 1 anysize daily, 2 in possession coast wide. To prevent sports fishermen from migration and shifting pressure to stocks and areas of greater abundance and cause issues their. Come out with some sort of stamp that goes directly into net pen projects.

The thrasher fishery and our hump fishery really started taking off as soon as we started bumping the fall hatchery white springs from the Vedder, Chehalis, Cap and Stave. Keep in mind hardly any of these fish are actually marked. Maybe 1 in 10.
If those hatcherys went away would be interesting to see how the inside April -June thrasher hump fishery would go...

The thrasher fishery and our hump fishery really started taking off as soon as we started bumping the fall hatchery white springs from the Vedder, Chehalis, Cap and Stave. Keep in mind hardly any of these fish are actually marked. Maybe 1 in 10.
If those hatcherys went away would be interesting to see how the inside April -June thrasher hump fishery would go...

Lots of clipped 8–10 lb cookie cutter reds around too. More than whites I have found.

The fact we aren’t digging our heels in but instead asking what about a Coastwide hatchery only fishery is asinine (not to mention the ridiculous mortality that would occur). Probably a reason it didn’t gain any traction. This is why sports fishing (or sustenance as should be called) sector gets pushed around so easily.

Actually ..I don't have all the answer asked.. and CP has been busy but I will get him to answer them :)... And I'll say again Dave.. If you can suggest a better plan and or better representation..we are all ears... suggestions???

I ment the lack of participation by memebers to answer the questions that CP asked. Like “ is a 85cm a decent fish” ect..

I think the 85cm is relevant to where you fish. I am not familiar with the Southern waters. Where I fish it is not a great fish relative to what you can catch, but a great fish to put into the box. Seems my luck that all my bleeders are aggressive 14-16# fish that I end up having to keep. They are a great size to cook.

That said I would be ok with the 85cm slot, as I tend to be letting the bigger buggers go....... but I don’t think we want to start discussion on C&R in this thread...

***I am referring to the North Coast, specifically Haida Gwaii***

Last edited:
Again, you need to answer the questions.
Be very specific about what you are addressing.

So the west coast or the north coast is what you are discussing?
Are you talking about the west coast of the Queen Charlotte Sound?
Are you talking Bamfield?

the lack of participation in answring CP speaks volume about our group.

Again, you need to answer the questions.
Be very specific about what you are addressing.

So the west coast or the north coast is what you are discussing?
Are you talking about the west coast of the Queen Charlotte Sound?
Are you talking Bamfield?

I have edited my response to be more specific

I fish the southern waters and you want to know how the current restrictions work for me and many of my buddies? They suck! So much that you barely get motivated to go out anymore. Remember the Brentwood Bay fishery? And how Brentwood Bay looks like today? That's how the south coast will look like soon and I have a feeling it will not stop there. There is only one solution: we need more fish. These restrictions on the rec fishery will solve nothing but turn a whole coast into a fishing ghost town - just like Brentwood Bay. How I know that the restrictions will do nothing? Because we have had them here in JDF already for several years now and I do not see any positive trend. Not that I really expected it anyway. But you can carry on and suggest more and more restriction on the rec fishery and play along with DFO's stupid game while achieving nothing. Or you can finally take a stand and throw the books at them and ask them to come back whem they are finally willing to do something meaningful.

Well at risk of firing up the conspiracy theorists on here...the reason for the question is to get some indication of what people would be willing to accept as potential regulations choices. There are, in case nobody is noticing, some conservation concerns being expressed by the Department with specific stocks. Careful...I'm not advocating that the Department is correct in their analysis...just that they have reached that conclusion, so ergo it is what it is....BOHICA

So think about it this way.....During the period of time where we are in a low productivity regime for these stocks, and for areas where those stocks are intercepted or exploited by various recreational fisheries....the questions are really about what types of restrictions would be acceptable poison. So carefully read between the lines as to what might be about to happen....and the range of possible choices should all lobby efforts fail.

The fact we aren’t digging our heels in but instead asking what about a Coastwide hatchery only fishery is asinine (not to mention the ridiculous mortality that would occur). Probably a reason it didn’t gain any traction. This is why sports fishing (or sustenance as should be called) sector gets pushed around so easily.
How do you know we are not! Do you think we take out an advertising campaign to tell the world about conversations that are taking place to advance what we believe to be a far better plan that meets both objectives of achieving conservation goals as stated by the Department while maintaining to be best possible degree recreational opportunity and expectation. Sometimes Alice!

I suggest the SFAB refuses in protest to discuss any further rec fishing restrictions, especially on the south island, until such time that effective mitigative actions by DFO, designed to increase the salmon stocks, are in place. Simple, consequent and firm, done.

Is this not exactly what the SFAB is intended for and the question you ask should be addressed by the SFAC’s?

Well at risk of firing up the conspiracy theorists on here...the reason for the question is to get some indication of what people would be willing to accept as potential regulations choices. There are, in case nobody is noticing, some conservation concerns being expressed by the Department with specific stocks. Careful...I'm not advocating that the Department is correct in their analysis...just that they have reached that conclusion, so ergo it is what it is....BOHICA

So think about it this way.....During the period of time where we are in a low productivity regime for these stocks, and for areas where those stocks are intercepted or exploited by various recreational fisheries....the questions are really about what types of restrictions would be acceptable poison. So carefully read between the lines as to what might be about to happen....and the range of possible choices should all lobby efforts fail.

I suggest the SFAB refuses in protest to discuss any further rec fishing restrictions, especially on the south island, until such time that effective mitigative actions by DFO, designed to increase the salmon stocks, are in place. Simple, consequent and firm, done.
Sure we could do that. Won’t change that DFO still wants and needs to set a management strategy in place to lower exploitation rates on the Fraser stocks of concern. Right now if you carefully read page 121 of the IFMP you will see there are other stakeholders who are actively lobbying the Department to move to Zone 0 management - meaning complete closure of the Rec fishery. Better to be at the table as opposed to on it as the main course.

So I think the purpose of posing some questions on this forum was to reach out to a wider audience to hear some ideas. Time is running out because the Department has submitted their recommendation to the Minister.

Aside from some last minute discussions it’s all over until the Minister announces a decision.

Back