Boat launching fails....

IMG_1624.JPG That's a pretty easy launch, wide open and wide but shallow and a little current. About 1/2 K from my house
Edmonton-Police-Marine-Unit.jpg

This is the 50th street launch in Edmonton, the foot bridge in the background is right above the ramp. Spent a few entertaining mornings there the couple years I lived in Edmonton. It was tall enough people didn't really notice you sitting there. I'm sure I witnessed the beginnings of divorces. If I wasn't supposed to sit there peeping I don't know why there were benches.

Last edited:
Seen many an interesting launch over the years but I have 2 favourites that still remind me of WTF.
Pacific Playground CRiver :
Pulled up to the launch as a fellow was feverously trying to jump into his GMC truck . Got the door open and grabbed the steering wheel as the truck and him slid into the water. What was cool was the silhouette of that truck totally submerged at the high tide along with a young fellow soaking wet cursing about something.
Bays Boat Horeshoe Bay:
We watched as a young fellow was cursing, screaming at his nice looking girlfriend in a halter top for not directing him properly for their launch at low tide. This went on for about 10 minutes and finally the boat hit the water, she jumped in the boat and we mentioned the boat was filling with water and she better check that the stern plug was in. Boat was filing with water rather quickly and unfortunely this boat had a outside plug that we could see dangling from the stern. She bravely jumped in the water secured the plug, leaped up and drove her head into the motors skeg. Bleeding like crazy and probably requiring about 10 stitches . She was crying as her boyfriend was again screaming at her in his wheelchair as he was coming down the dock to join her.
I still wonder if that relationship had a future.

We were in Port McNeil and a young woman was jacknifed half way down a ramp and hunched over the trailer sobbing. The problem was she jacknifed and the other was the trailer was so rusty it snapped in 1/2.

Another guy in Campbell river had his trailer with a 28' bayliner pop of the pintle hitch when his truck was bunnyhopping up the ramp without his safety chains hooked up. Luckily there was only one boat waiting to load and nobody was hurt from the tsunami caused when his transom hit the water.

This reminds me of a mother backing up their trailer down the narrow ramp at Horseshoe Bay with a spanking brand new 17' double eagle. Her 3 teenage sons who obviously did not have a drivers license were all in the boat with there life jackets on giving her some expert instruction. The boys were anxious as the boat I understand had never seen the water and was being launched for the very first time. Well after about 15 minutes of screaming amongst each other, the mother placed her hands on her hips, jumped back in the car , jerked the car forward and of course the entire boat saw the pavement for the very first time. Wish I had a camera.

Here's another good one to raise your blood pressure if you feel the need. A little bit of all boating fails not just the launch.

Last edited:
I was sitting at the point homes launch in comox having a coffee in my truck during a se Gale..I see a guy coming in I'm like here we go. After 30min of the boat bashing the rocks and his trailer he finally decides to run to the marina and cab for his truck. I'm not sure if he holed it but it must have been close to sinking as it was taking waves on the beach

I worked on a development overlooking a marina during salmon season One year and saw some funny stuff usually a trailer popping off the ball which made a terrible noise always would grab our attention.

The worst one was someone launching a boat in a new small suv (rav4 Or Hyundai) They must have gotten out without engaging parking break and the whole deal went out to sea, thank goodness no one was hurt. It ended up drawing quite a crowd and ended up rolling, if I remember correctly they used an excavator that was working near by to retrieve it.

Thanks, Jammer that video you posted had some good advice. The "don't disconnect your bow strap from the trailer winch until the boat is in or almost in the water" is a good one. Checklist, as well. I also would add keep the boat on the trailer until the engine starts - and THEN push it out further and launch...

Back