Transom Repair

Raab

I recently purchased a 1979 18ft sangster. Needs a new transom wanting to know if anyone can guide me to a person or shop that does not charge over the top. And what would be a fair price on a transom rebuild?

If it isn't too bad...
You can punch a bunch of holes from the inside but not through the glass.
Inject acetone into the holes. This will dry out the rot.
If that works out, inject epoxy into the same holes.
There are kits for this process...
GL..

Depending on how your cap is I would bet you are looking at $1500 to $4000+. If you have a motor well for a outboard they will cut out the transom from outside the boat and reskin the outside with new glass. If you have a inboard/outboard they will leave the outside glass and just install a new core from the inside. Way easier and cheaper to do. What ever way they do it, it won’t be cheap

If it isn't too bad...
You can punch a bunch of holes from the inside but not through the glass.
Inject acetone into the holes. This will dry out the rot.
If that works out, inject epoxy into the same holes.
There are kits for this process...
GL..
I read up on that on the hull truth and there is many mixed opinions about that. I'd say now would be a good time to cut the transom out and practice your fibreglass skills, but even doing the labour yourself, it will not pay for itself unless you really love the boat.

Get some buddies over, buy the beer and have at her. Splash well or not I would never cut transom out from the outside. Don’t trust my fibreglass skills that much.

If the glass over wood transom is rotted out and it also has a glass over wood deck and/or stringers, it is possible you may also have some wood rot there and in that case it will likely be thousands more to have a pro rebuild the whole boat. Even if you have the skills to do it yourself, it is a dirty job and the materials, (all that glass and resin, gel coat) are expensive. I know that some owners with the skills/aptitude who have done it themselves have said they would not do that job again. Sorry to be a downer, but it is possible that even if it is just the transom, it is not worth doing as a boat that old is likely not going to increase in value or sale-ability sufficiently to justify it.

You may be better off, depending how bad it is, putting your money into a newer hull without structural problems unless the transom rot damage is not extensive and you can repair using the method Chr0matose007 suggested or just want to learn the skills. Haul it in to any good glass boat repair shop and ask them to give you an estimate. They will likely not charge for that unless perhaps they have to spend a lot of time doing some invasive inspections. Nowadays, they may use a flex shaft camera inspection systems for the stringers etc. At least then you will know where you stand.

One of my buddies just made the decision to replace the hull of his old 17 DE with a new one, as the deck was spongy and he had already bought new motors and a trailer. Also expensive, but at least at the end of it, everything is new and will retain value.

Last edited:
If the glass over wood transom is rotted out and it also has a glass over wood deck and/or stringers, it is possible you may also have some wood rot there and in that case it will likely be thousands more to have a pro rebuild the whole boat. Even if you have the skills to do it yourself, it is a dirty job and the materials, (all that glass and resin, gel coat) are expensive. I know that some owners with the skills/aptitude who have done it themselves have said they would not do that job again. Sorry to be a downer, but it is possible that even if it is just the transom, it is not worth doing as a boat that old is likely not going to increase in value or sale-ability sufficiently to justify it.

You may be better off, depending how bad it is, putting your money into a newer hull without structural problems unless the transom rot damage is not extensive and you can repair using the method Chr0matose007 suggested or just want to learn the skills. Haul it in to any good glass boat repair shop and ask them to give you an estimate. They will likely not charge for that unless perhaps they have to spend a lot of time doing some invasive inspections. Nowadays, they may use a flex shaft camera inspection systems for the stringers etc. At least then you will know where you stand.

One of my buddies just made the decision to replace the hull of his old 17 DE with a new one, as the deck was spongy and he had already bought new motors and a trailer. Also expensive, but at least at the end of it, everything is new and will retain value.

Thanks for all the insight. I have a couple friends in the autobody industry and they are all scared to touch it. And im totally new to boats. What do you mean by buying a whole new hull

Get some buddies over, buy the beer and have at her. Splash well or not I would never cut transom out from the outside. Don’t trust my fibreglass skills that much.

Yeah i stare at the boat almost everyday thinking where i should cut from.

Depending on how your cap is I would bet you are looking at $1500 to $4000+. If you have a motor well for a outboard they will cut out the transom from outside the boat and reskin the outside with new glass. If you have a inboard/outboard they will leave the outside glass and just install a new core from the inside. Way easier and cheaper to do. What ever way they do it, it won’t be cheap

I am tempted to trying and cutting it out myself.

Not that tough to pull the cap on a boat that size before going at it. Mine just had wood screws holding the halves together under the coming strip. Losen up the wiring and slide it forward six feet, or three guys can move it somewhere else.

Not a project I would want to take on with a 40 year old boat. You will spend at least as much as your original investment on materials alone. I have done a fibreglass rebuild on a little 12 footer and it was not fun. No offense here , but if its an outboard, I would probably take the motor and trailer and move on.

What Wild Bill is the best way to do it if your up to it. If it’s just the transom and you use polyester resin and mat you should be able to do it for under a grand$$

Not a project I would want to take on with a 40 year old boat. You will spend at least as much as your original investment on materials alone. I have done a fibreglass rebuild on a little 12 footer and it was not fun. No offense here , but if its an outboard, I would probably take the motor and trailer and move on.

There is a good chance you are going to find rotten stringers so check the rest out thoroughly before you really get into it. I wouldn't attempt stringers again, did one boat and gave up on the second boat. Stringers and transom good in my current project.

There is a good chance you are going to find rotten stringers so check the rest out thoroughly before you really get into it. I wouldn't attempt stringers again, did one boat and gave up on the second boat. Stringers and transom good in my current project.

So should i start by taking out the motor and leg then cut from the inside?

So should i start by taking out the motor and leg then cut from the inside?
Is it a inboard/outboard or outboard??

me to

Back