2018 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

How is the 115 Sea pro working for you Felix ?
so far so good , has the 17 enertia eco , top speed is 36 mph , cruise 25mph @ 4000 rpm ,
smartcraft electronic troll mode is amazing , burns around 4 gallons an hour cruising at 25 mph
quiet smooth , great holeshots , sips on troll , 1/2 gallon /hr

( had a fish blow up your reel you gave me Scott , no drag now lol , )

fd

so far so good , has the 17 enertia eco , top speed is 36 mph , cruise 25mph @ 4000 rpm ,
smartcraft electronic troll mode is amazing , burns around 4 gallons an hour cruising at 25 mph
quiet smooth , great holeshots , sips on troll , 1/2 gallon /hr

( had a fish blow up your reel you gave me Scott , no drag now lol , )

fd
What mounts to that gold block on your one downrigger mount?

Hey everyone, does anyone know what VHF channel the whale watchers out of Ukee use when they are out. TIA

Informal Bamfield Guide Meeting 4:30 PM May 18th, Mills Landing

As we all know obtaining catch data through log books, and bio samples such as DNA and CWT, is proving to be an essential part of maintaining access to fishing opportunities by providing the best possible data to ensure we are taking care of the future of our fishery and the fish stocks it depends on.

Come join an informal gathering of guides, along with the SFI to talk about the issues, ask questions, receive your log book and get the ball rolling to make sure we all do our part to manage our fishery based on the highest data standards possible.

Snacks will be provided by the SFI, and beverages will be provided by Pacific Net & Twine.

See you there…

Derby

A good group showed up..thanks Guy... seemed to be some nice Chinooks around this weekend.

I was out at Pill Saturday and Sunday mornings. We got three springs (12, 9, and 8 lbs) Saturday (lost two) and a 10 lb one Sunday. Magic number looked to be 75 feet with green flasher with a white and green hoochie. Route was go along the rock face close to Pill turn tight into Blood Bay, come out near the rocks at Useless and then tacked back towards link and turn in again. One boat got a 15# (reportedly) screamer (I seen the fish when they hoisted it aboard). Other boats didn't fare so well.

Down to the Cabin Friday night. Rough ride out from PA as we were loaded down but got past in Nahmint buy a big Grady breaking way for a little red (possibly Hurston) boat with a white top. Got to the log dump and the little boat stopped. Their big motor quite. As we pulled up seen them scramble to get their kicker going and we readied a tow line just in case as it wouldn't be long before they would be on the rocks. Fortunately it didn't take them long to get the kicker going and once pointed back into the wind they were able to work on the main. Couple min later the main fired up and seemed like all would be ok. They said that they would follow me so we set off again now with me breaking the waves and them tucked in behind. They split off towards the Nook/Bamfield as I turned towards Haggard Cove.

Anyways Saturday dropped a crab trap in Sarita and trolled just past the Nook to Yankee bay and up towards what we call White Rock ( Big white rock before Roquefeuil Bay ). Couple hits, one shaker and that was about it. Turned back to go check the crab trap. Nothing. Picked up the trap and headed back for brunch. Treated to a humpback show (3 breaches with landing on their back). Dropped the crab trap at San Mateo and went in, had a bite and then worked on the boat and gear. Ran out at 8 to go check the trap and nothing their as well.

Sunday went back to Pill point. Picked up another three (but smaller ones than last weekend) and lost one. Split evenly between green and white hoochie and a herring aid spoon. 75 to 85 ft. Seen two other fish caught. Looked to be about the same size as ours. Most of the boats that were there early left. Run back to PA was good. Used my last marking stick to mark a dead head. Hope the weather will be good for this coming weekend.

Chatting with a good buddy today getting ready to drag my boat from Nanoose over to the west coast. Fishing has been pretty rocking. Fish have lots of 5 inch chovies in them, and some very decent bites. Its not epic fishing every day, but certainly much better May than we have seen before. I'm guessing that the commercial troll closures up in Alaska are allowing more of the Columbia River Springer run through to us. The Bonneville Dam data for the fish ladder is showing a far better than forecast return. They were calling for a very poor run, and this return so far exceeds last year, but is about 40% lower than the 10 year average.

They just announced that the terminal return to the Stamp/Somas River (Barkley Sound) will be 85,000. Pretty decent return if the prediction if correct. About the same as last year, which from my experience it was a damn fine fishery.

Chatting with a good buddy today getting ready to drag my boat from Nanoose over to the west coast. Fishing has been pretty rocking. Fish have lots of 5 inch chovies in them, and some very decent bites. Its not epic fishing every day, but certainly much better May than we have seen before. I'm guessing that the commercial troll closures up in Alaska are allowing more of the Columbia River Springer run through to us. The Bonneville Dam data for the fish ladder is showing a far better than forecast return. They were calling for a very poor run, and this return so far exceeds last year, but is about 40% lower than the 10 year average.

They just announced that the terminal return to the Stamp/Somas River (Barkley Sound) will be 85,000. Pretty decent return if the prediction if correct. About the same as last year, which from my experience it was a damn fine fishery.
Yeah 85000 is a great run but something tells me that they are going to get hit really hard this year with all the closures and new regs

Yup, one of my buds tubbed out early today. Got some quality too. Stuck on the east coast for 4 more days. Finishing up some trips here, then time to boogie to the west coast to start our season there.

Went out around Pill Saturday morning. Hooked up a dozen times but only got two in the boat (8 and a 10lb) and let a undersized coho go. Same depths and gear as last two trips out. Tried prawning and crabbing as well. Zero in four prawn traps set in two different location. Tried out my new round crab trap along with another old square one. Same bait. New trap had 15, old trap had 6. Between the two traps there were 7 keepers. Did an afternoon troll between prawn trap soaks and got a double header of Ling Cod, both undersized. One by a lot, the other I had to get the tape out to find out it was a 1/4" too small. Sunday was a sleep in and maintenance day. Pulled the boat to get it serviced. Needs some bottom paint touch ups. Most likely wont be going out for a couple weeks so I will have to watch others posts. I hear there was some action at Cree and Austin and someone hooked a 40lb Hali on the Ukee side of the broken group.

156AD9A6-1BDA-4ABB-AC7F-DD2C069965B5.png A5EA7EF2-5EFA-460D-B38B-253C13DC939D.png

Great fishin for us this wknd , 11 springs , one that shocked us all for June 2nd , first tyee of the season , congrats to team Polajzar
Great hangin again
All fish were caught from Ellis to Bamfield Entrance , 60-80 feet on chovies , LONG leaders for sum reason , love the new Flora Carbon Leaders , thx to Derby for hookin me up , love the Islander TR3’s , as well

Cheers
Fd

Last edited:
View attachment 38219 View attachment 38220 Great fishin for us this wknd , 11 springs , one that shocked us all for June 2nd , first tyee of the season , congrats to team Polajzar
Great hangin again
All fish were caught from Ellis to Bamfield Entrance , 60-80 feet on chovies , LONG leaders for sum reason , love the new Flora Carbon Leaders , thx to Derby for hookin me up , love the Islander TR3’s , as well

Cheers
Fd
Damn!!! Well done FD!

View attachment 38219 View attachment 38220

Great fishin for us this wknd , 11 springs , one that shocked us all for June 2nd , first tyee of the season , congrats to team Polajzar
Great hangin again

Cheers
Fd
She's holding the fish pretty tight, Mine!! Nice haul bud..

Last edited:
Back