Help finding new boat.

$56K US= $72 Cdn. Every time I do the conversion it's nuts.Buying south of the border is out for me,there's lots of boats up here,just have to find the right one.

$56K US= $72 Cdn. Every time I do the conversion it's nuts.Buying south of the border is out for me,there's lots of boats up here,just have to find the right one.

Your right on all that! I'm more interested in your 206 and when it will come up for sale! :) I probably won't be the lucky buyer since I'm busy with young kids and my 185 is great but I do want one.

This thing is pretty clean and for your budget you could repower it.
That Grady is about as much boat as you could get in your budget.

What Stizzla said. If it was me with $60k I would go straight for the Grady. You won't find a 232 w/ twin F150 4-strokes for that price. You may find a single 250-350hp plant for that price, but I'd take the twins anyway over the singles in that application. Big heavy boat. Needs power and maneuverability.

I know you want 4-stroke main power, but at $60k budget I'd take the quality hull for the next 20 years with an eye to repower when the budget allows. Those 150hp HPDI's are known to be strong runners and you can add a 4-stroke kicker today for about $2500 if you look around.

You can run those HDPI's for a few years and keep your eyes open for some 150hp/200hp lease return motors. Re-use existing rigging and repower if you truly dislike the 150 HPDI's in a few years. Won't cost much to do that. In the meantime you have a well known, well loved hull for our waters. You've got very usable power now and you have a lowest cost pathway to ending up with the perfect boat for your expressed needs.

You end up with a quality hull in a 23' that rides a lot bigger than a 23. Lots of beam at 9'6 - feels much bigger than others. Resale will be strong and value should hold compared to some second tier stuff. It's just much easier to change the power when budget allows, than it is to change the hull.

I don't disagree with you about the 235 Grady being good bang for the buck.I should have removed it from my wanted list and will now purely because of it's size. If I'm going to be sharing w/ my son the boat has to be easily trailered ,we don't fish or use the boat in the same area's. I think your supposed to have a permit to trailer a (9Ft.6in.) boat are you not? Either way I think it's just too big,I'm 66 and sometimes trailer,fish on my own and want to continue to as long as I can.

I don't disagree with you about the 235 Grady being good bang for the buck.I should have removed it from my wanted list and will now purely because of it's size. If I'm going to be sharing w/ my son the boat has to be easily trailered ,we don't fish or use the boat in the same area's. I think your supposed to have a permit to trailer a (9Ft.6in.) boat are you not? Either way I think it's just too big,I'm 66 and sometimes trailer,fish on my own and want to continue to as long as I can.

232 is 9'6 - no permit required. 10'6" is max before permit is required here. However 232 is a big, heavy, wide, boat. You will use more fuel towing it than a smaller lighter vessel. It will be more of a pain towing than a narrower lighter boat will be. You will also use more fuel running it through the water than a lighter narrower boat.

The best boat is the one that gets used the most. Find the one that fits your operational needs the best and enjoy.

:)As a matter of fact I just came in from finishing my 12V upgrade and cleaning.Nothing to look at so far so I might have it for a while yet.
I would trade you boats Ray but mine is no where near cream puff enough for you!
And yes,I guess you could say I'm a little anal when it comes to keeping her clean.:D

Last edited:
Bigreel, I was getting interested in your posts until I saw location,although I travelled before to get my present boat.The 26 Wellcraft is too big,the new 23 Striper is too expensive (for me) and only a starting price.The 21 Striper is probably a good deal,but heading to Ontario isn't in my plans.Thanks for posting though,I haven't had anything worth looking at yet.

As I said in my original post I would prefer people contact me by phone,e-mail,or PM (start a conversation) than discuss the Pro's and Con's of seller's boats on an open forum.So far I haven't looked at anything.

Back