2018 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Hey fellas, just a question in relation to crabbing in the Esperanza area. I've heard that the Otters have wiped out all crap in the shallows. Would anyone be able to steer me in a general direction if we wanted to get a crab or two for dinner? I have no idea where to start out there. Where I come from, I set in 35' in a bed of eel grass. If its a total waste of time I'd appreciate that feedback as well.

Cheers,

WW

Hey fellas, just a question in relation to crabbing in the Esperanza area. I've heard that the Otters have wiped out all crap in the shallows. Would anyone be able to steer me in a general direction if we wanted to get a crab or two for dinner? I have no idea where to start out there. Where I come from, I set in 35' in a bed of eel grass. If its a total waste of time I'd appreciate that feedback as well.

Cheers,

WW
I'm sure someone else will chime in but usually in Otter areas you have to go deep....175ft+. Find a flat in the 200-220 range and I'm sure you'll find a few

copy and paste:

Sea otters generally forage close to shore in depths shallower than 60 feet (18 m) but are capable of diving to depths of 300 feet (90 m) or more. With a relatively large lung capacity for it's size, an otter can hold its breath for 5 minutes, but most dives are two minutes or less in duration.

Prawning in are usual spots was tough. We moved traps all over the place and found a few but nothing to stay in one spot. We moved inside a bit and did a little better but ended up with not even half our limit. This is the first year ever we did not get out limit. Doesn't look good.

We did get 4 Halibut and had our fish tacos instead of prawn tacos.

Our other boat caught a 25 pound Spring out front on Saturday.

We must have seen 100 sea lions around the outside.

Mike

Cheers,

WW

Look on your chart for any flat estuary or bay with a fresh water source; more likelihood of the grass and sand they live in. we were setting traps in 200’ feet of water using our prawning groundlines and cleaning up.

Slowest bloody start to the season we have EVER seen up here. Our crew has hit everything from the beach, out to the highway, and from the near outside corner there all the way up to Winter Harbor. You can count the average daily catch of springs on both hands.

Damn spooky for this time of year!

Weathered out in Club Z for a day or two & Hoping it turns around soon.

Worried,
Nog

Slowest bloody start to the season we have EVER seen up here. Our crew has hit everything from the beach, out to the highway, and from the near outside corner there all the way up to Winter Harbor. You can count the average daily catch of springs on both hands.

Damn spooky for this time of year!

Weathered out in Club Z for a day or two & Hoping it turns around soon.

Worried,
Nog

I think we are all praying there is chinook around! let us know thanks NOG.

Good luck NOG, my buddy caught a few nice springs off Bajo 2 days ago.

I'm wondering what's going on farther up North?

Fishing has been slow. Struggling to see decent numbers.

Decent mix of some lings and Black Bass with some nice rockfish and Cabezon as well. Have been seeing tons of juvenile yellow eye though. Have been using the Seaqualizer with great success on the rockfish.

Not seeing any salmon but one, 25+ lbs swimming on the surface.

Just got back, we were able to fish two days out of five due to camp projects and the weather. Did well on hali and lings, did not try any salmon did see the commercials out around the 50 fathom line.

Heading up August 23-26 this year for the first time. What should I be expecting?

No one wants to tell him?

Fishing in Nootka can be very slow at the end of August. Slow. meaning no fish. Sorry.

June and July much better. Maybe others have different experience??

No one wants to tell him?

Fishing in Nootka can be very slow at the end of August. Slow. meaning no fish. Sorry.

June and July much better. Maybe others have different experience??

With the environment the way it is, who knows. I don't remember it being this warm in May in the past. That may affect things. Anytime in Nootka can be good, but, some times are better. I personally think the July 7- Aug 7 window is ideal because you can fish through fishery notices area changes (normally July 15). In August later you may hit some nice Coho offshore. Hopefully the regs are favourable.

Any guide recommendations for a single day of bottom fishing? We'll be up in Moutcha August 8-15, but will be in 16ft whaler so we stay inside. I know Moutcha does guided day trips, but was wondering if there is any other competition up there?

Spent May long weekend at Cougar Creek and fished 2 days out front of the sound. Lings and rock fish...no problem. 2 small halis...our regular spots did not produce very well. Chinook= zero. We did not see much for bait or much of other marine life which was kind of strange but we did see the Velellas and had Pyrosomes on our deep lines. Weather great- fishing slow.

Back