2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

I got out from noon to 5 today out front. An absolute beauty day to wash some bait,spoon,& rubber. I should have gotten out earlier but had a late nite last night.
my friend Skip was coming in to Fleming when I was launching and he had a hatch 17lb ( we weighed it) that he caught off the mouth of the harbour. I had a few dungy's today but not a bite from a fishy. Looks like it should be a good weekend, looking forward to some good reports.

Another stunning day at Albert head. Had a bite that long line released and had a monster ling cod that took 25 mins to get to the boat. It's head was the size of my kicker where it got tangled up under the motors along with my bumbling gaffing and he swam back down. Full pull with dungys again released 9 keepers and kept 3.
Not sure if I've mentioned that I use fatty pork bones and pork chops and I rarely get females and always have a full trap. I'm sure I'll get a fish again soon ;-(

Quick first tack of the season for me today out front from 6-730pm, what a beauty of a night. 1/2 on springs, released a typical 6lb winter. 17#s a beaut for this time of year!

Tried waterfront Monday from 9-11, only one other boat. Not a sniff so moved to OB flats near end of ebb. That's where everyone was fishing 15 -18 boats. Saw several fish being played when we arrived but must have caught the tail end of bite. We stayed til 2:30 well into the flood and not a sniff. Tried anchovy, coho killer and AP spoon.

Jigged OB flats for 2 hrs with nothing but saw a couple fish landed by trollers. Switched to trolling and picked up a 6lb hatchery on a Peetz needlefish spoon and another 10lb wild on same rod. Wild fish was released. Hot bite around 1100. Commercial prawning is in full effect in Haro strait.

Did you measure that fish ?
only reason I ask is that I caught a 10lb wild a couple weeks ago that measured at exactly 67cm.
Yes it was measure worthy and went 69cm. :) Hooked outside the lower jaw and didn't thrash in the net so I think it was a good release candidate.

Ocean Rambler put on a clinic this morning on the flats. His net didn,t stay long in the holder. Mine stayed dry. :(

Oak bay was on point this AM.. We missed the first bite as we hit the water at 7 to be greeted with several fish on, started rockin around 10:30.. Herring Aid and Purple Haze needlefish spoons. Get out there folks, these are great Oak Bay tides. A few big wild ones released today as well, and some heads turned in.

Stomachs were empty.

Back