2018 Winter Harbour Reports

Just checked the DFO site.
Still says 133. Anyone have a link to the update?
Maybe I will wait to comment on this any further... but on another thread they state that the Yellow Eye will be closed in the outside waters..?
I do hope I am wrong... but at any rate... device ordered today... (along with some other goodies of course).... even if I am incorrect... we seem to always be releasing these little pumpkins while jigging hali or ling...!

The last few years I have been just using a heavy lead barbless head jig and tying the braid directly to the curve on the hook. I then drop to desired depth and pull up hard. Works great. Have a extra rod set up so easy to do. Much cheaper then the seaqualizer. Notice that I have to use the 2 led jig to get the fish down.

Is there any good news on the salmon fishing around Winter Harbour? I am heading up to Port Alice for the long weekend and hope to take a run out to either Lippy or the offshore banks. Definitely going to hunt down hali and ling as well. Any news on the salmon fishing would be appreciated.

Is there any good news on the salmon fishing around Winter Harbour? I am heading up to Port Alice for the long weekend and hope to take a run out to either Lippy or the offshore banks. Definitely going to hunt down hali and ling as well. Any news on the salmon fishing would be appreciated.
Looking forward to your report upon your return. Tight lines and have a safe trip. ................BB

In Coal Harbour yesterday at the QFN dock. A few commercial boats off-loading. One seemed to have a decent haul (a few totes full - Chinook). They had a few nice fish (mid-20#) and most of the others looked to be mid to high teens. Another boat seemed to only have the mid-teeners. They weren't very chatty but I expect all were caught offshore. BTW, DFO was there cutting off the upper jaws of fish with implanted wire tags.

Hoping you find them and there are a wave coming down the hill

Any of you gents live in the Calgary area. I'd be interested in talking to you about how you set up your rigs for the different species and what times of the year are best for fishing WH.
What is the best way to ship your fish and how do you keep them from spoiling?
I also would like to fish with someone who is experience on the big water - I have been twice and both times were great but I am still a rookie (an old rookie at that). I have my own equipment and a 2225 king fisher so I think I'm part way there - what I need more of is experience. Any advice would be grateful - even if you don't live near by ;-)
Thanks

Any of you gents live in the Calgary area. I'd be interested in talking to you about how you set up your rigs for the different species and what times of the year are best for fishing WH.
What is the best way to ship your fish and how do you keep them from spoiling?
I also would like to fish with someone who is experience on the big water - I have been twice and both times were great but I am still a rookie (an old rookie at that). I have my own equipment and a 2225 king fisher so I think I'm part way there - what I need more of is experience. Any advice would be grateful - even if you don't live near by ;-)
Thanks

Salmon University is on the web. Good source of information, listed under Quatsino Sound.

Just got back from Port Alice. I only got out to Winter Harbour once, yesterday. No good news yet on the salmon, very few around. The commercial guys are out there but mostly catching small Chinooks, and not lots. It was good for the white meat however. Did well on ling, hali and rockfish. The Seaqualizer worked great too. No floaters. The neighbour at the cabin on Victoria Lake is a fish buyer in Port Hardy. He was saying the average catch size for the commercials was 8.9 pounds on the springs. The prawn fleet is also hammering Quatsino Sound and Neroutsos Inlet. Prawning hasn't been that good for the commercial guys. Maybe time to give those waters a rest to recouperate.

Back