transducer question

Redfisher, did you read the thread i linked? It details how CHIRP puts more energy (IE power) into the water w/o a 1 Kw transducer. I found the move to CHIRP amazing after over 30 years of fishing with other sounders. FYI, as of 3 years ago Gil thought Lowrance was great for freshwater Garmin had the best CHIRP for saltwater.

3. Talked to Denise down at Harbour Chandler: They have had a number of clients combine the 1KW transducer with HDS Gen 3 units but..... a number of them had had problems. The major problem has been serious setup problem inside the unit that is toasting some of the electronics inside the unit (sorry I don't know the technical terms for what is getting cooked). This problem has been caused by selecting the "chirp 200kHz transducer setting" when fishing in deep water as opposed to just a "200 kHz transducer setting". They have had a few guides that this has been a repeated problem (like 4 units returned). She does not know if Lowrance has fixed this problem as they are aware of it but she cautioned me about pairing a 1K transducer with the unit and advised to stick to a 600W unless I was going to be the only one changing the transducer settings on the unit.

It is well documented that not selecting the correct transducer under 'Settings>Installation' on most MFD units and/or trying to operate a Fixed Frequency transducer with CHIRP settings and/or operating CHIRP transducers when not in water will cause problems. A CHIRP transducer can operate in CHIRP mode or fixed frequency mode (within its frequency range) while a traditional transducer should not be operated in CHIRP mode. (It is done - both on purpose and by mistake and a lot of times people 'get away with it' but it appears that this is when most problems arise).

In most cases a CHIRP transducer XID cable will correctly identify the transducer to the sounder which is its purpose and in which case correct selection of transducer under 'Setting>Installation' will be automatic. Nevertheless care still needs to be exercised that a CHIRP transducer is being operated in its correct frequency range usually selected from 'Menu'.

I hear you about the chovies. However when I was fishing out of Winter Harbour 2 years ago in 250' of water (which was where the fish were for about a week, ....I know it sucked), I kept thinking that I missed a better sounder because when you could find a ball of bait...you hooked up.

I kind of think the P66 will start on this boat and go from there. They are a good transducer for the price. .....Lots of room to add more transducers/sounders in the future if I desire.

You will like it... :)

Sure is getting complicated buying a fishfinder/transducer. We fish "fishy" areas and all the fish finder is for showing bottom depth so we do not hang up. I guess if your fishing non fishy areas. Then seeing them on a screen may make you feel better. It's alot of money tho.

Hey bones - I used to somewhat agree with you til I got CHIRP. Compared to the good old days, fishy area's tend to not be as fishy as they used to be. For about 30 years or so I was out on the Princess boats in Ucluelet a few times. They always searched until they found fish, then called out the depths to the jiggers.

There is a guide operating out of Neah Bay fishing Springs at 400 ft who says he sometimes searches for an hour before he starts fishing.

It's all good, its just that watching fish on a tv screen doesn't box em. 3D, chirp and so on is a great tool for the tournament bass guy who's never been on the lake before and has mega $$$ on the line. He need everything he can get to put that one big fish in the box to get the grand prize.
In salmon fishing its in my mind going over the top, spending all the extra $$$ doesn't put them on the end on your line. If you have the money fill your boots doesn't hurt. Just seems extreme .

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge P66 is what most of everyone is running and if you want to go to a 1kw transducer the Lowrance HDS will not utilize the 1kw design capabilities of the transducer. 500W is all it will do.

I use a P66 and am satisfied with it. I was looking at the P75C M in hull 600 watt chirp transducer as I thought it might be a good low cost improvement however according to THT and Gil semperfishing there are some issues pairing it with any Navico product. Hopefully that gets resolved.

stupid question here. What is the "THT" thread? Never mind. THT = the Hull Truth. Sorry

Last edited:
Heres an interesting picture I found in a THT topic comparing the P66 to the lowrance HDI skimmer

hdi06.jpg

https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine...rmar-p66-vs-lowrance-oem-skimmer-hds-5-a.html

I use the HDI skimmer and I have no complaints. I think its just as important to configure the sounder settings properly for the type of fishing youre doing. Most of the time I just display the medium CHIRP screen which is 83kHz and I mark fish and bait clearly and separately with no problems. When Im underway sometimes Ill splitscreen a higher frequency so I can still see bottom.

The Lowrance website has this to say about the different frequencies:
  • Low CHIRP or 50kHz—Lower frequency means higher power for deep-water fishing.
  • Medium CHIRP or 83kHz—Specifically designed to give the widest coverage area, 83 kHz is ideal for watching a bait under the transducer in shallow water.
  • High CHIRP or 200kHz—Higher frequencies display a higher resolution image making it easy to discern fish from structure or structure from the bottom.
  • 455kHz—Built into StructureScan HD and SpotlightScan, 455kHz allows for scanning of a large range with picture-like detail.
  • 800kHz—Also built into StructureScan HD and SpotlightScan, 800kHz yields less range but even higher resolution detail than 455kHz.

Back