2018 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Happy 2018

thought id dust off the thread , been a while

fished 3 times over the winter , was fairly quiet at the end of Oct , Seal Lion show ( seems like more n more every year )
end of November really heated up , lots of feeders from 3-8 lbs through-out the sound , easy limits ,
spent the week there for New Years , fishin was excellent , Cathy n I were into 6-10 fish on most days , much larger now too ,
had a couple in the high teens , most 6-12 lbs , they grow so fast , hot spots were Brady's , Flemming , Ellis Pt
no need for bait , all on small spoons , greens , glows were all we pulled , think we trolled the same 2 spoons all week ,

few shots

fd

thumbnail_IMG_0473.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0467.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0462 (1).jpg thumbnail_IMG_0342.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0329.jpg thumbnail_image1 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Was wondering what ever happened to ya ... no pics for awhile lol . But, looks like your at it again good to sea !
Great to see your pics and hear whats happening up there ...Thanks !
Hope you have a fishy and safe 2018 !

Well the plan for the Easter Weekend was to go prawning and stay on the boat two nights. Left PA Friday and set traps (8) just over the line at 10am pulled them at 5. Nothing. Decided to keep the traps on board and set Saturday morning in an area that we did well in last year (680). Traps were dropped by 7:30 and then tucked in behind Dodd island for breakfast. For the rest of the morning trolled two rods at various depths with spoon and hoochies. 1 hit but it didn't stick. Listened to the Wx reports for Saturday Night and Sunday. Winds building to Gale force Sunday with 2m seas. Not my idea of fun. Pulled the traps. 148. (No Jumbos, a few large (~20) and the rest were mediums.) Decided that we didn't want to chance another set knowing that we would have to pull late in the afternoon and then make a crossing of Imperial Eagle Channel to go back to our overnight spot. Headed back to PA with a quick stop in a Haggard Cove. Will try to do better this coming weekend.

Just got back from the nooke. The roads not in bad shape. We fished a couple of times , one 22lb. ( red). And 4 smaller keepers. Released about another 10. We where catching the salmon on anchovies and spoons (herring aid),at 96feet. Pawning is not to bad,besides the slime eels,

Last edited:
Just got back from the nooke. The roads not in bad shape. We fished a couple of times , one 22lb. ( red). And 4 smaller keepers. Released about another 10. We where catching the salmon on anchovies and spoons (herring aid),at 96feet. Pawning is not to bad,besides the slime eels,
You can deep fry the eels but the oil must be hot

Hey John s , care to share where you picked up the 22lber , just like inside or outside or island near by ... thanks for report

I'm heading out to bamfield next week for a family gathering and will be trailering the boat. Have only ever fished out their a couple times with others, my stomping ground has been Victoria, Sooke and now the Gulf Islands.

What area(s), depths, and gear would you suggest near Bamfield this early in the year?

Any general tips regarding depth and area for prawning? 230-250' is the money spot near Tent Island off Crofton but you don't have to go far towards Nanaimo where you need to be 300'+ ....

Killer pics there Fog Ducker.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Tight lines

Thanks FD. Looks like the weather's gonna be sunny but windy. I hope we get some calm mornings and evenings so I can spend a little time on the water.

Cheers!

Thanks for the scoop. Going to get up there later in the day than planned. Maybe see you on the water Sunday.

Hey Bamfield fishing folks. Very stoked to be able to expand our Chinook and Coho Diet sampling program to the West Coast this year. Thanks to the folks at Bamfield Mercantile and Marine and the Ucluelet Aquarium who have agreed to act as drop off sites for salmon stomachs.

If you're are interested in participating PM me your email address and I will send you more info on how to participate. All stomachs submitted to the program with complete supporting data (species, hatchery/wild, date, location, and fork length at a minimum) are entered into a draw for an Islander MR2 thanks to Islander Reels!

You can read a thread on the program here.
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...t-monitoring-program.64885/page-2#post-858614

You can follow updates on facebook here

https://www.facebook.com/Southern-BC-Adult-Salmon-Diet-Program-493763831003993/

Tight lines this summer and I hope many of you will be able to support our efforts to better understand the forage fish community that support our resource

Will (Fisheries Ecology Lab, UVic)

Got to bamfield pretty late, bit of a cluster getting everything ready for what I was worried would be a nasty haul. In the end the worst part was the paved section in the middle!

I spent an hour or two this afternoon looking for fish or other boats around diana, Edward king and Cape Beale. It was a little sloppy for my smaller boat so I tried trolling on the SE side of Edward King. Went back to the dock to pick up my son and we went for a quick troll outside the entrance and hooked into a beauty! 3.5" coyote spoon on chartreuse flasher.

Any particular area you'd suggest for mornings?
flat calm this am , little fog burnin off , gonna be a warm one today n tmrw ,
headin out to Meares/Austin ,
let ya know my findings , light winds till noon

fd

Attachments

• Resized_20180512_174616_7453.jpeg
    Resized_20180512_174616_7453.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 166
Some nice fish right at Bamfield entrance , into a few gooders Saturday , nice size too , one busted my spoon 5/0 siwash in half ,
There is plenty of bait suspended throughout the sound now ,
ellis was loaded on Saturday , its starting !!
60-85 feet , irish cream , green splatter rubber
were the ticket
love my new 19 Cope , beast , so easy to fish with ,$100 all wknd on fuel ,
went to seven mile , came back in 3-4 seas ,
total champ , smoooooth ...... best buy ever , thx Rob ,
plenty of blood on her now , time for a wash down pump !!! :)

nice to see Jerry @Mills Landing , been a while...

Back to work for me !!
IMG_1024.JPG IMG_1028.JPG IMG_1056.JPG IMG_1057.JPG IMG_1064.JPG IMG_1067 (1).JPG

Team Polajzar next ,
Booking my rehab appointment asap

Fd

Back