Derby reach activity

Jamknot

Stopped by this afternoon to see the river, to my surprise there were 6 guys sitting at the waters edge in their lawn chairs with rods out, four of them seemed to be together, same hats, little folding nets for live catch, I saw 2 of them catch and keep some tiny silver minnows of some kind. Anyone know if Oolichans are in the river now? Hope they are not Salmon fry, only about 3 inches long.

probably pike minnows
Could be, I thought what I saw had a bit of a belly,almost smelt shaped,Have to go back again and see if there's anything new going on, a little early for salmon,not open anyway, just trout and Sturgeon. Getting very muddy.
Should have mentioned its the Fraser River near Fort Langley, for those not not on the mainland.

Thanks for the info, spring time, I have never seen any mention of that in the regs. will be going down for a closer look tomorrow. I'm all for enforcement of the regs.
Berry's report says the sturgeon guides say the oolichans are in the river.

There are pikeminnow and peamouth chub in the river as well as ooligans this time of year. They look similar at a glance. I believe daily retention for pikeminnow and chub is 20. No retention on ooligans.

Stopped by this afternoon, 6 fishermen at the water's edge, one had the folding net in the water with fish in it, 2 were still alive, 2 were bottoms up. they appeared to be a mix of chub and/or pike minnow, could not get a good look at the mouth on them. As I walked up the Gentleman hooked another of those small football shaped minnows and lost it. From memory Oolichans should be larger at spawning time and thinner. Pointed at the net and asked if they were Pike Minnows, the return gesture said he did not speak english.

If anyone plans to camp at Edgewater Bar this weekend, you are out of luck, the Campsite is closed due to high water.

Back