Filleting Knife

jwood99

Looking to get a good filleting knife, just wondering what people would recommend?

Thanks

Go to the nearest commercial fishing store and find one that fits your hand best- don't get too hung up on brand names

I’ve had a couple Frost knives for almost 30 years. Keep misplacing them and they keep showing back up and they keep doing a great job for me. I’ve tried numerous others over the years and I keep going back to my good ole standbys. Not as easy to find anymore however they are out there.

I like the Sani-safe knives. Kind of hard to find. They are used a lot in the fish processing plants. White starboard type plastic handle. Dexter may have bought them out? Excellent metal that steels up nice when you’re going thru a lot of fillets in a short period of time.

Check out the “C” knife on the Peetz reel site. A little pricy but man is it a nice knife.
Do you mean the chroma knife? I have the 7.5" one, and I found it dull from the beginning and didn't hold an edge after one fish. Switched back to my $8 bass pro shops knife after one fish. I guess I should try sharpening the Peetz one.

Do you mean the chroma knife? I have the 7.5" one, and I found it dull from the beginning and didn't hold an edge after one fish. Switched back to my $8 bass pro shops knife after one fish. I guess I should try sharpening the Peetz one.

Wow you musta got a dud. Yes the chroma knife, I’ve had mine two years and other than just a light honing mines as sharp as the day it was bought. Not really meant for hacking heads off or cutting bones ect but for filleting I’ve never used a better knife. Read the literature that came with it, says you shouldn’t need to sharpen it hardly ever? If so take it back as there’s a problem with it.

I worked in a slaughterhouse for about 5 years in my past and used many many kinds of knives. They’re like tools or guitars, cheap works but you get what you pay for.

Have used lots of very good knives on Salmon over the years. A very sharp 12 inch Kershaw pro grade Cimeter will take the side off of a 40 lb salmon in one smooth single cut. I use to spend a lot of time on various knives with stones and even a barbers leather strap for getting the final edge on razors, but not as much anymore. It seems as I have gotten older I have gotten much lazier, and now get the lazer cut ultra fine tooth stainless knives in various lengths at the dollar store for next to nothing.
They never get dull and do the job adequately when you are opening up a salmon, removing gills or cutting off a head, but still prefer a good sharp knife for filleting or fine slicing (sushi), but why dull it out on the other work like hacking bone.
You pay so little for them you can think of them as disposable and having a lot of them around on the boat is useful if you ever have to cut through rope in an emergency. If you forget one at the cleaning station or drop one overboard, who cares. Nothing worse than watching some poor guy at the cleaning station with a good but dull knife trying to work on a salmon or rockfish. I have given a few of the shorter 5 and a quarter inch steak knives set lazer cut knives away at the cleaning station to guys I have seen struggling. They are about 50 cents a piece.

Last edited:
Best filleting knife I have owned is from North Arm knives, BC made by father and son. Have a few of there other ones too, a bit addicted.
Fantastic quality.

I recently picked up a cu$tom kitchen knife from cosmoknives.com and it is without doubt the best knife I've ever had the pleasure of using (pictured below). Highly recommended if you're looking for something spendy/gift. He's on Salt Spring Island BC, and does filet knives as well.

If you're looking for value at a low price, Frost/Mora are hard to beat.

nineinch chef.jpg

I recently picked up a cu$tom kitchen knife from cosmoknives.com and it is without doubt the best knife I've ever had the pleasure of using (pictured below). Highly recommended if you're looking for something spendy/gift. He's on Salt Spring Island BC, and does filet knives as well.

If you're looking for value at a low price, Frost/Mora are hard to beat.

View attachment 37875

I have A Cosmo as well, its a beauty too. So nice that i dont want to wreck it :)
I keep a couple of Mora’s on the boat, great for bleeding and chopping off the head.

Attachments

• 48C0F807-A0DA-4E1B-9AB5-10136734E080.jpeg
    48C0F807-A0DA-4E1B-9AB5-10136734E080.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 66
Best filleting knife I have owned is from North Arm knives, BC made by father and son. Have a few of there other ones too, a bit addicted.
Fantastic quality.

I had to check it out & I ended up ordering one.......

ww.png

For those of you guys using the salmon slicers, what do you use for gutting? Regular filet knife or something smaller?

Just make a cut along the belly and pull the guts out, then take the sides off. You could use a standard filet knife or even a bait knife if you wanted. Whatever works best for you!

Back