PSF releases study that PRV virus from farmed Atlantic may cause disease in Chinook salmon

These fish are not subject to the natural selection in river by bull trout, birds and seal that pedratate on weak immune compromised fish.
Exactly the problem with hatcheries and net pens - they avoid NATURAL selection. and produce adaptively inferior stocks. It has been shown hatchery smolts survive at a much lower rate than naturally spawned smolts. Not a good idea in an era of environmental change that only naturally producing organisms could adapt to, not farm animals. Not to mention hatcheries also bypass the natural selection that takes pace on the spawning grounds where the fittest adults get the best spawning locations. Hatcheries just randomly pick small numbers of spawners and breed them, often inbreeding them.

Anyone want to do a rough estimate on what an extra 19,000 humpback whales eat??? "An average-sized humpback whale will eat 4,400-5,500 pounds (2000-2500 kg) of plankton, krill and small, schooling fish each day during the feeding season in cold waters (about 120 days). They eat twice a day. "
You are reinforcing my point, with the return of healthy populations of humpbacks (the apex predator for those food sources) there is even more competition for food. The young salmon migrating to the GOA are primarily eating invertebrates when they first get there so are competing for smaller food items. Adding in billions of pink and chum ranched salmon to the predator equation can only have a deleterious effect on other salmon populations.

"PSF releases study that PRV virus from farmed Atlantic may cause disease in Chinook salmon"

Are we getting a little, no a LOT off topic here?

Last edited:
Misleading. Ak only does it for a few weeks - not months and years - and they use stock indigenous to that watershed which should not introduce novel disease to a naive stock - unlike FFs.

so then if Fish Farms raised stock indigenous to that watershed, everything will be fine? so carry on with chinook and coho?

so then if Fish Farms raised stock indigenous to that watershed, everything will be fine? so carry on with chinook and coho?

no, lice, waste, interference with other wildlife/smolts etc.

They have somewhat addressed the sea lice issue since the science started on that in 2003 or so in BC
no, lice, waste, interference with other wildlife/smolts etc.

is there any information about bottom loading or wildlife here in BC? i've seen some loading problems from the last province to start farming, Nova Scotia. But unfortunately it looked like a training site. is there anything about BC i could read?

is there any information about bottom loading or wildlife here in BC? i've seen some loading problems from the last province to start farming, Nova Scotia. But unfortunately it looked like a training site. is there anything about BC i could read?

i dont know if you like playing ignant or really cant read.

sorry , i dont know how to copy and paste right now.

maybe you could post links about how bottom load, disease, natural interference, and lice do not cause any problems to our environment?

Actually, yellow pink salmon are fairly common wherever you find pinks. I have seen them on the Vedder since I started fishing in 1960.
Nice one GLG.
2-headed fish might also be more common near Fukushima. I don't think that means it is "normal" - or we should be complacent - esp. after reading the PSF's report on PRv - and how it affects Pacific salmon....

p.39, Di Cicco et al., 2018: "Therefore, all the three recognized strains of PRV have now been affiliated with a jaundice-related disease in three species of Pacific salmon, and weight of evidence worldwide, and our findings in BC, suggests that PRV-1, the only PRV strain detected in BC salmon, likely causes both diseases, HSMI and jaundice/anemia, in Atlantic and Pacific salmon respectively."

Last edited:
i dont know if you like playing ignant or really cant read.

sorry , i dont know how to copy and paste right now.

maybe you could post links about how bottom load, disease, natural interference, and lice do not cause any problems to our environment?
i dont think anyone is ignorant for just asking a simple question.....
you keep coming here a saying the farm is bottom loading. i just asked were you got your information. you dont have any so you try to turn it around.
i have posted information regarding fish farms and bottom loading, sea lice, etc in the past. i've posted quite abit....... you choose not to read it or ignore it. you really have not post anything in regards to bottom loading or sea lice. this is why i ask.... nobody is asking you to copy or paste anything just your words showing were the bottom loading is happening? ive been under some sites in the past, it really hard to do tho as more of the farms i've experienced are in deep water zones, site 2 the only place a sport diver can get to is house, pen 1 and 2, after this your in 140'+ of water. site 1, bad site. very dirty on the floor from the 1990 storm that emptied the system, site 5 too deep can dive it, site 9 too deep cant dive it.
do you have pictures or anything?

some of the best prawning is next to a fish farm

...i have posted information regarding fish farms and bottom loading, sea lice, etc in the past. i've posted quite abit....... you choose not to read it or ignore it. ..
Funny, I was just about to say the same thing.
some of the best prawning is next to a fish farm
Uneaten farm feed and FF feces attracts the prawns - just like there is activity around sewerage plant discharges. I wouldn't be touting this fact as proof of an industry's lack of impacts...

Back