Best cheap reliable tow vehicle

ryanb

I am looking at trading in my Ram 1500 for a vehicle that makes a better daily driver.

I will need a tow vehicle that can pull my boat and trailer, which I've scaled at 5500lbs, wet. I've been looking at 2000s suburbans and yukons as these seem much cheaper than a similar vintage Silverado/Sierra. It will probably only be used to and from the boat launch 3 or 4 times a month, 15k round trip and a trip up island or two a year.

Any other vehicles to look at? Any major problems with the suburbans and yukons I should be aware of.

I think you would benefit more from a yukon or tahoe; not as long as a burb or a pickup in terms of a daily driver.
I would skip the denali's with their 6.0L's and full time All wheel drive as they are gas pigs.
if you can find a lower mileage tahoe or yukon from the mid 2000's with the 5.3 it should be pretty reliable, the weak point being the trans.

I think you would benefit more from a yukon or tahoe; not as long as a burb or a pickup in terms of a daily driver.
I would skip the denali's with their 6.0L's and full time All wheel drive as they are gas pigs.
if you can find a lower mileage tahoe or yukon from the mid 2000's with the 5.3 it should be pretty reliable, the weak point being the trans.

Just to be clear the daily driver is going to be a car, not the tow vehicle. The tow vehicle will be used only for towing, nothing else. Just want something reasonably reliable, fuel economy and driveability doesn't matter at all.

Suburban and yukons are awesome! The longer wheel base less expensive because less people want them, park by the motorhomes at Walmart. How could you beat a Chevy/GMC product?

I have a 2004 Jeep GC with the 4.7HO V8. It has been an awesome vehicle. My previous boat was 5600 pounds and I towed that up the Coq and to Gold River many times no prob. It has a 6500 pound towing capacity and has transmission cooler, larger alternator and radiator. Fuel milage is decent too.
Another option is the 2007 or 2008 Jeep GC with the 3.0L Mercedes diesel. It a very desired vehicle even with high mileage. Brother in law has one and loves it. Lots of torque and 7000 pound towing.

I was in a similar position several years back. I picked up a gmc 2500 6.0 gasser, extended cab short box for cheap, had about 150k, paid $6000 at the time. Used it to tow the boat/camper only. It had the 4:10 gears. Not the best on fuel, but pulled amazing for a gasser. Other then normal maintanence, it didn't cost me a dime. Only reason for selling it was I couldn't get the third car seat In The extended cab. If going the 6.0 gasser route, find a vehicle with the 120L gas tank. I had the 80L and it was the only complaint I had.

I had a 2000 long wheelbase Suburban with a 5.7 L I think, then an 07 Denali short wheelbase with a 6.2 L and now a 2013 3/4 ton long wheelbase Suburban with a 6.0 L all used for towing my boat which is 7200 lbs loaded. All worked fine. The 2000 was working pretty hard. That motor doesn't have a lot to give on steep hills. The 6.0L manages the load fine. Its hard to find 3/4 tons. In your case given weight a 1/2 ton will work fine. Personally I'm a fan of long wheelbases. More leverage against the weight behind you. I like SUV's because its more business like. Sorry, I can't show up to a business meeting in a pickup. Suburban, Tahoe, Denali, they are all good and will meet your needs.

I have an 02 2500 GMC 4x4 6.0L 4l80 tranny 3;73 gears and it tows amazing. Hauls my 24 Trophy or my 32' Trailer very well. Not as well as the Duramax I got talked into selling with my 5th wheel but a great truck. It could be for sale as I am looking to upgrade.

I'm definitely interested in the older 2500 and 1500s but seems like illI pay about double for one of those over a suburban, Tahoe, Yukon of similar age and kms.

Back