2018 Sidney Reports

Salmon seem to love AP spoons [ anchovy or herring]! It looks like you have a swivel just in front of the spoon is that correct?
Thats correct. I dont like tying directly to the split ring so I put a small swivel in front to tie to. If I was really gung-ho I would weld my own rings to the front but the swivel has served me well enough to this point.

Match the hatch. Seems needlefish are the only thing springs around here eat. Why is it there are no herring around Sidney?

Match the hatch. Seems needlefish are the only thing springs around here eat. Why is it there are no herring around Sidney?
There is a lot of needle fish around for sure the better half of the feed is that but not always the only thing, I caught a nice spring yesterday and the only thing in its belly was three small herring.

Fished the Sidney Anglers in-house derby today with my mom for mothers day. She got an 8# hatchery fish at Coal that was good enough for 2nd place. A fair number of boats out and lots of bait around as well, but only a couple fish weighed in! The winner was 11#. Beautiful weather this weekend and it looks like its going to continue all the way through to the long weekend!

Fished Saanichton spit this afternoon, one undersized right off the bat and then nothing, tons of needle fish and birds but that’s it.

Last edited:
Fished the last 3 mornings with some friends from out of town. Super slow for us the first 2 days but we got into a few at Coal this morning. Ap sandlance did the damage. Tons of bait, birds, and seals in the area but not many fish it seems.

Anyone having any luck with halibut around Sidney? Thinking about trying zero rock /Haro straight this week with the friendly-looking currents and weather

Did an early run with Original riding shotgun in my boat and Gham took his. We tried the bluffs first with tons and of bait but no fish to the boat. We motored to coal, lots of bait and seals but only a little rockfish that we let go. Saw a nice one landed there, but that was it for quite a few boats that I saw.
Thanks Original, it was a good time, and thanks for pointing out the flaws with my boat ;)
Cupholders are priority 1!

Went out Saturday for afternoon slack and jigged up a 7# and 11#.. Sunday morning went 2 for 3 with a 7# and 12# released.. This morning found no love but lots of bait. All at the Spit.

Like Stizzla said, tons of bait at the bluffs. Boiling on the surface in some spots. Looked to be about 4” herring. Had a beauty (20ishlbs)on for about 5 mins before it jumped clear out of the water and and I saw snuffy hot in pursuit. Chased him down and fought him for about half an hour trying to at least get my gear back. Lost the fish and AP spoon but got the flasher at least. Moved to coal after but was a bit of a gong show with a dozen boats all trolling different tacks, and about 2 seals for every boat following, after a couple passes moved to powder warf where I had a decent one on first pass in shallow (40’) but after a good run it was gone.

Fished yesterday morning at Coal. Saw a few smaller fish caught maybe 6-10 lbs, had a good hit scream out line for what seemed like forever. The other boat we were fishing with said the fish looked like a good one when it got to the surface, turns out it was about 6lbs foul-hooked, so we flipped him off. Had to be 15 boats and 20 seals cruising the area. Im gonna get out one more time tomorrow before I leave for the Haida Gwaii for the summer, so good luck this season to everyone!

Back