2018 Nanaimo Reports

Im not picking on HC here, because I love HC and consider it the best fishing store I've ever been to. I am willing to drive there to buy one just one specific spoon colour.

Its the people who are laughable. There's nothing in that store, or any store, that I'm willing to camp out over night for, or even stand in line for.

People are pathetic. I was up at 530 to check the wind for today before taking my old man out fishing. I'd rather do that than be out all night in a sketch part of Nanaimo to save $100 on a fish finder.
Come on don't be such a fun sponge. It probably wasn't a financial win based on our individual circumstance and what we chose to buy but some people definitely saved several hundred dollars. Either way my boy and I had a lot of laughs that night and still joke about it today. It wasn't all bad.

Im not picking on HC here, because I love HC and consider it the best fishing store I've ever been to. I am willing to drive there to buy one just one specific spoon colour.

Its the people who are laughable. There's nothing in that store, or any store, that I'm willing to camp out over night for, or even stand in line for.

Yeah a few beers and a couple doobs and you too could have a good time hanging out with friends at night Che...

How was fishing today people? We had lots of action today, but unfortunately missed to many right next to the boat.

Waited out the wind this morning. Out on the water from 2 - 6. Kept two 8 pound clones. Also lost a few pin-poppers and released a few undersized. Splatterback hootchie and white hootchie, 130 feet was the choice depth.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the origin of the fish that are off Nanaimo right now?

I believe majority of these fish are going to the Fraser. And up the other branches of rivers such as the Harrison etc. Theres a couple other guys on this forum that would probably have a definitive answer. I think Ive returned 8 heads give or take, all from thrasher in the last 3-4 weeks so hopefully they will have had the head tag and I'll get to see where they were going!

We left Comox at 5:45 am. My goal was to get a Hook7 and save $300.00. Mission accomplished and it's already installed and running on my boat. Picked uyp a few sundry items as well. Overall, my savings added up to around $450.00. Was worth the trip down and an hour wait in line.

All alone outside entrance reef for the low slack. Hard to find a legal ling, so fished the outside 160 ft contour with 190 ft of string out. One good fish around 20, then nada. Big green and blue hoochie .

These are raw data from the CWT database for area 17 in May, 2010-2015 by release basin, total of 114 recoveries. Light blue is Vancouver Island, primarily Cowichan and Big Q, Green is lower fraser, primarily Harrison and Chilliwack. Pretty much everything else is Puget Sound. This will underestimate Puget Sound fish because they have a lower mark rate than Canadian Fish.

upload_2018-5-14_20-54-54.png

These are raw data from the CWT database for area 17 in May, 2010-2015 by release basin, total of 114 recoveries. Light blue is Vancouver Island, primarily Cowichan and Big Q, Green is lower fraser, primarily Harrison and Chilliwack. Pretty much everything else is Puget Sound. This will underestimate Puget Sound fish because they have a lower mark rate than Canadian Fish.

View attachment 37857
That is great information Bugs, Thank you

Awesome thanks for the info.

Green spoons with green flashers @ 150 ft did the trick last night for a feisty 12 pounder at neck point. Fished from 6 to 7pm.

Lots at the cleaning table

Back