PSF Releases Position on Open-Net Pen Aquaculture in BC

The Board of Directors of the Pacific Salmon Foundation has formally adopted a position on open net-pen aquaculture in British Columbia. And we wanted to share it with you. The position and associated background have been distributed to the media this morning and posted at: https://www.psf.ca/news-media/pacific-salmon-foundation-position-aquaculture-bc

As such, PSF will be calling on all governments, industry leaders and stakeholders to put wild Pacific salmon first! If you have any questions or comments, please let us know.

Thank you PSF for doing what SO MANY HAVE KNOWN FOR YEARS !

Yet our governments and DFO keep turning a blind eye.

GET THIS POISON OUT OF OFF OUR COASTLINES ASAP !

Also ....... Help save the SRKiller Whales by doing so ! If your completely serious about saving them you hypocrites....... Meaning provincial and federal governments!

Big thanks to all the staff at psf and especially the countless volunteers and stream keepers! Your stance on wild salmon being a priority and keeping farmed salmon(and their associated diseases) out of our waters is greatly appreciated by many of us up and down the coast. Kudos.

Last edited:
I have a question
"The Pacific Salmon Foundation (PSF) believes that British Columbia and Canada must put wild Pacific salmon first and that a move to closed-containment salmon aquaculture is recommended. "

I have looked over quite abit of information on your website and salish sea study. I do not see any studies on fish farms, including 2017 salish sea review. Is you new stance on fish farm based from public pressure or science performed?

Secondly if this is a science based decision then where in your salish sea project could I read about this decision?

@bones, first off I agree that PSF could do a much better job of communicating their findings of the Salish Sea project in a more clear and timely manner. I have brought this to their attention on numerous occasions. It's a bit of a tough spot for them as they have limited staff/funds for communications and if they did spend lots of time/money on communications I'm sure they'd hear about how donations should be going to projects, not communications.

That said, the science and research on fish farms that PSF has been doing is extensive and goes back at least 5 years when the Salish Sea project started. Under the Salish Sea project is the SSHI (strategic salmon health initiative) which is the partnership between PSF, DFO, Genome BC. Google SSHI and you'll see lots journal articles and newspaper stories, etc.
https://www.psf.ca/what-we-do/strategic-salmon-health-initiative

They also have some vids on fish farm studies on their youtube channel -
- and if you follow their e-newsletter or social media they put out lots of updates thru that. Again, I agree the communications aspect could be improved but the underlying science/research that has been done is remarkable and, IMO, irrefutable. As others have stated on this forum, PSF doesn't put their neck out on issues like this unless they are sure of the science backing their position. If you recall several years ago they conducted an independent assessment of run-of-river hydro projects and the results essentially stated that the newer projects are doing a pretty good job of not screwing with wild salmon. Not the results some of the 'anti-hydro' advocates were looking for but, again, they had the data to back it up after an intensive few years of study.

I have a question
"The Pacific Salmon Foundation (PSF) believes that British Columbia and Canada must put wild Pacific salmon first and that a move to closed-containment salmon aquaculture is recommended. "

I have looked over quite abit of information on your website and salish sea study. I do not see any studies on fish farms, including 2017 salish sea review. Is you new stance on fish farm based from public pressure or science performed?

Secondly if this is a science based decision then where in your salish sea project could I read about this decision?

@bones, first off I agree that PSF could do a much better job of communicating their findings of the Salish Sea project in a more clear and timely manner. I have brought this to their attention on numerous occasions. It's a bit of a tough spot for them as they have limited staff/funds for communications and if they did spend lots of time/money on communications I'm sure they'd hear about how donations should be going to projects, not communications.

That said, the science and research on fish farms that PSF has been doing is extensive and goes back at least 5 years when the Salish Sea project started. Under the Salish Sea project is the SSHI (strategic salmon health initiative) which is the partnership between PSF, DFO, Genome BC. Google SSHI and you'll see lots journal articles and newspaper stories, etc.

- and if you follow their e-newsletter or social media they put out lots of updates thru that. Again, I agree the communications aspect could be improved but the underlying science/research that has been done is remarkable and, IMO, irrefutable. As others have stated on this forum, PSF doesn't put their neck out on issues like this unless they are sure of the science backing their position. If you recall several years ago they conducted an independent assessment of run-of-river hydro projects and the results essentially stated that the newer projects are doing a pretty good job of not screwing with wild salmon. Not the results some of the 'anti-hydro' advocates were looking for but, again, they had the data to back it up after an intensive few years of study.

Tincan,

Do u know where I can find the results of their acoustic tracing studies, I herd that a lot of
Smolts went missing in the discovery passage.

Tim can,

Do u know where I can find the results of their acoustic tracing studies, I herd that a lot of
Smolts went missing in the discovery passage.

this is a summary tho, were can i read the science or findings on this since 2013?

i ask as in the 2017 report the claim 5 new diseases found in chinook salmon

One of the research companies hired to do this work is a company called Kintama. Some pretty cool visualizations of where Chilko Lake sockeye/chinook smolts travel / disappear can be found at the link below:

http://kintama.com/visualizations/

yeah I have seen these visualization over the last 2 years but I have not seen the results interpreted. there is this report http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/10.1139/cjfas-2017-0425#.WvXIjK7typo but its behind a pay wall. So i was wondering if anyone has a pdf they could send me.

there's more,, see if you can find what species uses the discovery passage only...... void of farms but still a distressed inventory. i got called an idiot more than once but nobody pick up on it....... nobody read the science!!!

Back