Status
Not open for further replies.
So Tuesday I fished near @Matthias actually. I didn't do quite as well. Kept 2, only had 7 or 8 hits. The last one was a tank that snapped off the hook, I haven't had a fish run like that in a while and wasn't ready to let him go. Like he said we fished in 400-700 feet and after three hours of nada when I finally gave in and fished his recommendation of green splatter backs at 125 we got into them. I just bought a new 6" spoon and REALLY wanted it to work! We picked up and fished the reef for a couple hours and the clear winner was the Megabite skeletor looking swim jig thing. Got a nice keeper instantly right off the light then another hit that cut the main line off in his teeth. My buddy doesn't like mono leaders I guess. Had two more hits on large herring that didn't stick and called it a day. Door to door was 5:30 am to 10 pm and I couldn't think of a better wat to spend 16.5 hours of my life.

Guess i'm going to be the jerk today....... but it's unethical and should be unlawful to keep fishing and releasing after you've kept your limit. I make my guests save a spot on their license when they want to C&R and keep the first injured salmon.
Agreed

Fished S. Bowen today. Was a bit slow but managed one keeper to the boat and lost one to a bad net job. Was taking trash about not screwing up the net then of course bashed the next fish in the face with the net. At least it was a clean release.

Productive day at Frasher yesterday one spring short of limit fished from nine until three 1230 The bite came on for us at 120’ Black blue and green squirt was the winner Out now but nothing yet. Will post pic later.

Last edited:
Productive day at Frasher yesterday one spring short of limit fished from nine until three 1230 The bite came on for us at 120’ Black blue and green squirt was the winner Out now but nothing yet. Will post pic later.
Think I may have just seen you lose one :( a little bit of hope atleast. Still no bites for me.

Last night fishing south bowen , a HUMPBACK got caught up in my down rigger cable! I couldn't believe what was happening!! It started breaching and i saw the braid cable around it , i cut the cable as fast as i could! I was in complete shock!! It dove right after and never was seen again. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? managed 1 keeper to the boat before the whale incident.

damn ive never heard of that happening and i bet i would have needed to change my boxers after that!!

Last night fishing south bowen , a HUMPBACK got caught up in my down rigger cable! I couldn't believe what was happening!! It started breaching and i saw the braid cable around it , i cut the cable as fast as i could! I was in complete shock!! It dove right after and never was seen again. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? managed 1 keeper to the boat before the whale incident.

Wow. That’s a story. Kinda like being shot. You hope you survive and it only ever happens once. I’ve heard of them breaching on top of a boat (Grady in Hardy in 2012 or so) but not tangling in a DR line.

Happened to Scott Sutherland on Mongoose Striker about 2 years ago off Bowen.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...653729430.1073741828.655794429&type=3&theater

I was fishing double bay across from Malcolm island, it was a slow day. All of a sudden, out of nowhere and humpback breaches directly behind the boat about 50ft, I quickly raised both riggers and popped to boat in neutral. I got lucky as my fish finder went solid red and it pasted about 25ft under my boat. She breaches again about 75 ft in front of the boat and I never saw her again. Took a break to be sure she was out of the area before resetting. I was surprised how fast it happen. I'm glad I had my Scotty electric riggers and not the old manual ones. Would have been a different outcome.
Sorry for the derail, back to the reports.

Why is every time my wife gives me the OK to go fishing on the weekend the weather forecast states Strong Wind advisory for the weekend and then it’s light winds Monday And Tues. Doh! :mad:

Why is every time my wife gives me the OK to go fishing on the weekend the weather forecast states Strong Wind advisory for the weekend and then it’s light winds Monday And Tues. Doh! :mad:
Work the weekend. Fish Monday. That's how I do it. And whatever I do is the best way. Trust me I'm really smart.

I feel the same way ronin2424, wish my work allowed me to do as raincity....
I’m taking off for my typical Friday night overnighted to Thrasher at 5pm today; hoping the conditions will come down...I’ll post when I get there...
If anyone is out there now, I’d love to hear a report on the conditions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back