Question on welding stainless.

Newf

Crew Member
One of the railing support locations failed on my boat. As shown in the attached photos, it was attached with a single bolt down through a washer type base and through the fibreglass. My downriggers are mounted to the railings so probably just failed from fatigue.

My intent for ease of repair is to install a larger "base pad", with two bolts instead of the one and weld the existing "base pad" directly to it.

My questions: Is this a reasonable solution? Would it be practical to weld this with stick electrode ? I can weld but have no experience with stainless. I'm told by the boat builder that the railing is 304 and the round pad/washer is 316. What electrode would be best?? Would the existing pad be relatively easy to weld to a bigger base plate with stick or should I look for someone or a shop that can do it with Tig. (Anyone know of a shop in Victoria/Langford area that would do a job like this with Tig if that's the way I should go? I know most place do not like to fool around with these smaller jobs.)

Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

01.jpeg 02.jpeg 03.jpeg

If you can stick weld you can do this, cut the base plate to the size you require and drill the holes as required before welding. Read up on how to drill stainless first though. I would weld it insitu with a thin piece of plywood under the baseplate, and some wet towels covering anything you don't want any splater on. E316 0r E347 in either 1/16 or 3/32. get some scrap stainless and practice first to get the amperage that works best with your machine. Make sure you use a stainless wire brush so as not to introduce any piece of steel that will rust. Tack weld it in 4-6 places before welding and then only stitch weld to prevent warping.

Tyler Woods .TIG welds for a living and has a welder at home and lives near Sidney .

Back