Bamfield halibut in September?

Not sure how you can say that without knowing the results of the survey this year. The ONE year trend would imply it, but trend before that was positive so could be a one off. Complete doom and gloom scare tactics. While yes that’s fully possible, you can’t say that like you know it’s going to happen.

Coming from Mister Doom and Gloom i find this quite amusing. As for more quota it will never happen and because of the tac going down every year there is no way to stay afloat even if we get more tac

I think I have to agree with Serengeti - we do need to see how the survey data stacks up this year. That (survey error) was after all the Canadian Conference Board's point when challenging the reductions proposed by the US side. That said, the US side did push for 15 to 30 percent in further reductions, so I also totally agree with points raised to highlight how we might need to think about what our future fishery could look like under that situation. It would certainly be unwise to think we could dodge that bullet in absence of solid scientific data challenging the IPHC modelling.

So back to that hali fishing trip in Bamfield in September, its a great time of the year to target hali and with a lot less competition for somewhere to fish too. Hopefully we have the TAC to carry us through beyond September.

Last edited:
Back