Sweeping salmon closures for recreational fishing

Sad to see. Similar situation on many Alaska rivers as well. Thinking is the warm ocean blob severely impacted ocean survival, leading to extreme conservation measures. Already the Area F troll fishery will be cut back by a few weeks duration. There are still salmon conservation measures yet to be finalized for the ocean recreational chinook fishery. Its sounding like the possibility of 1 Chinook, 1 in possession...not to speculate because its not a final decision.

... Its sounding like the possibility of 1 Chinook, 1 in possession...not to speculate because its not a final decision.

MUCH closer to final than you are alluding to here. Many have known this for some time now. The rec fleet WILL realize a minimum of 35 % in cuts, and this is one of the few methods to ensure that.

Sad indeed.
Nog

Very sad.
Pretty decisive restrictions targeting the recreational fisheries.
Yet no restrictions on the corporate foreign owned, DFO backed, open net pen fish farming industry. Very telling as to where the government priorities lie.

Very sad.
Pretty decisive restrictions targeting the recreational fisheries.
Yet no restrictions on the corporate foreign owned, DFO backed, open net pen fish farming industry. Very telling as to where the government priorities lie.

With the PSF backing the removal of fish farms now. I will be very surprised if the governments don’t not atlest remove the ones on migration routes.

With the PSF backing the removal of fish farms now. I will be very surprised if the governments don’t not atlest remove the ones on migration routes.

I hope your right. It's hard to imagine though with how hard they (DFO) have been supporting and protecting them now and in the past against all peer reviewed sciencific evidence and public outcry of the damage they are doing to our wild salmon stocks. It also has seemed that they have pointed the finger at the declines in our wild salmon stocks at everything under the sun, EXCEPT the fish farms. It's almost as if (imo) DFO and these foreign owned fish farm corporations are one in the same...Profits above all else.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:
If this actually happens and there is no guarantee it will, then all the work and recommendations the SFAB has done are for not.

MUCH closer to final than you are alluding to here. Many have known this for some time now. The rec fleet WILL realize a minimum of 35 % in cuts, and this is one of the few methods to ensure that.

Sad indeed.
Nog

Sad to see. Similar situation on many Alaska rivers as well. Thinking is the warm ocean blob severely impacted ocean survival, leading to extreme conservation measures. Already the Area F troll fishery will be cut back by a few weeks duration. There are still salmon conservation measures yet to be finalized for the ocean recreational chinook fishery. Its sounding like the possibility of 1 Chinook, 1 in possession...not to speculate because its not a final decision.

Holy Crap!! 1 Chinook & Only 1 Possession? Ouch.... I sure hope not.

Those numbers will be the end of the charter fleet and a lot of boats for sale

I have to agree. Pretty sad.

A one fish Chinook limit will severely limit the attractiveness of a $6000+ lodge trip.

My cynical side would say that is what the department wants to see happen.

Add to that the downturn in halibut.
Not good.

A one fish Chinook limit will severely limit the attractiveness of a $6000+ lodge trip.

1 Chinook and 1 in possession seems extreme if they want a 35% reduction, this would probably result in much more than 35%. Just cutting possession to 2 should reduce it enough, if not perhaps 1 Wild, 1 clipped per day and 2 possession.

1 Chinook and 1 in possession seems extreme if they want a 35% reduction, this would probably result in much more than 35%. Just cutting possession to 2 should reduce it enough, if not perhaps 1 Wild, 1 clipped per day and 2 possession.
2 possession kinda takes the fun out of a trip to Haida Gwaii.....

We are one of the many people leasing halibut quota this year just to make it worth it for our two big trips a year. Our group spends upwards of $20,000 a year and feel its almost impossible to justify with no yellow eye retention and a 115 maximum size halibut. If BC then goes to 1/1 Chinook we are headed to Alaska.

We are one of the many people leasing halibut quota this year just to make it worth it for our two big trips a year. Our group spends upwards of $20,000 a year and feel its almost impossible to justify with no yellow eye retention and a 115 maximum size halibut. If BC then goes to 1/1 Chinook we are headed to Alaska.

Why don't you go to northern alaska there is much more opportunity for meat up their.

Nass and Skeena are where the Fraser was 10years ago.
The netting last summer was ridiculous...numerous sets in the hog line during prime staging for the kalum stock all but wiped out one one of the biggest Chinook strains.
Nass is in worse shape than the Skeena!

Our trips were already booked for this year.

Northern Alaska has always been the better place to go for meat, Rockfish,cod,salmon,halibut ect..

The only advantage to booking in BC typically was the chance to hook a tyee

Back