Craig flower support

Gear'n'beer!

hello,
So one of Victoria's coho supporting Cinderella story creeks is being threatened. This is the Craigflower that has gone from a zero return coho creek to fully self supporting. The esq anglers and their stream keepers are 100% responsible for that. Their is a proposal from the province to remove a section of the OCP from park/open to commercial to support a handy dart maintenance facility for 90-115 small buses, not including staff. This area is currently used by the Victoria bowmen and is completely residential. Anyway I will attach my email and if I get some support from you guys thanks!

Hello,

I have many concerns regarding this amendment to the OCP to change zoning of 2401 burnside w from park/open to commercial. What would be the reason/rationale behind this change to the OCP? This land is located in a residential area and is fronting directly on a salmon bearing stream. I personally have assisted in the counting of this previously dead salmon bearing stream back to a fully self supporting salmon bearing stream. This type of commercial activity is completely detrimental to both the use and enjoyment of the residents and the salmon that use this stream to continue as a species. Are you willing to risk either of those?

I await your response,

Darin Thompson,
View Royal resident and salmon supporter

Hello,

I have many concerns regarding this amendment to the OCP to change zoning of 2401 burnside w from park/open to commercial. What would be the reason/rationale behind this change to the OCP? This land is located in a residential area and is fronting directly on a salmon bearing stream. I personally have assisted in the counting of this previously dead salmon bearing stream back to a fully self supporting salmon bearing stream. This type of commercial activity is completely detrimental to both the use and enjoyment of the residents and the salmon that use this stream to continue as a species. Are you willing to risk either of those?

I await your response,

Darin Thompson,
View Royal resident and salmon supporter

If you have concerns I suggest you start looking at the technical and design documents in the approval process from MOE on your project. Before you go engaging everyone (MLA's etc.) read up and make some phone calls to the MOE with your concerns. MOE must consult with a QEP on the project. Remember the BC government is authority and not DFO so that is who you engage with. It is likely it will go through, but I would get your concerns in there early. You specifically should ask how they will be monitoring any pollution with new zoning. You have a tough battle though simply arguing that an area should remain a park is very tricky.

Do you have a map that shows the location of what sounds like a proposed very large bus maintenance facility. I am having difficulty picturing where it would be even though I live in the general area? Are you talking about Cuthbert Holmes Park? Why not put it out in one of the Industrial park areas. Anyone know which provincial and local politicians would be responsible for this decision?

https://victoria.citified.ca/news/h...nsit-eyes-view-royal-lands-for-transit-depot/

Pretty good map on this article rockfish. This property is owned by the province, most likely purchased when they built the youth detention centre that is to the south side (currently choices but that is changing also).

Thanks for the info SV. I don't think it has moved past the amendment to the OCP yet but I will certainly call MOE and try to find out if they have been engaged yet.

Gotta flip the mayor/City is typically 100% in charge of zoning, All the nabours in the area typically get to vote/voice their concerns too. Never ending battle!! hope you can get it kept as a green space, Very important for the stream!

Make sure no runoff from the site goes into the stream! so toxic to coho!!

Coho salmon die, chum salmon survive in stormwater runoff research
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180418100511.htm

https://victoria.citified.ca/news/h...nsit-eyes-view-royal-lands-for-transit-depot/

Pretty good map on this article rockfish. This property is owned by the province, most likely purchased when they built the youth detention centre that is to the south side (currently choices but that is changing also).

Thanks for the info SV. I don't think it has moved past the amendment to the OCP yet but I will certainly call MOE and try to find out if they have been engaged yet.

Just make sure your group engages in the process if you can. You wont be able to stop it but at least you can give your concerns, and could likely ensure that whatever QEP follows correct procedure an a RAR is done when they are doing there assessment. If you don't say anything sometimes these things get over looked.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...als-ecosystems/fish/riparian-areas-regulation

GNB
Thanks very much for bringing this issue to our attention.
The last thing Craigflower Creek needs is more runoff from an industrial operation.
Over the years the Creek had been polluted by an auto wrecker, abattoir and others. Since the Creek has been rid of these operations the returns have been increasing.
Coho are very sensitive to pollutants and are the only Salmon in Craigflower Creek. Not one Chum was counted in
Stosh

Went to meeting at city hall where residents were allowed input into this proposed change to the OCP last night. Bruce the stream keeper from esq anglers gave a good presentation. Lots of voices heard, standing room only and not one positive opinion. 3 councillors in attendance openly stated they will not support the proposal. Mayor was his usual wishy washy self. I'm hoping that transit will begin looking for another spot.

I doubt BC Transit will back off. It really doesn't matter what the Councillors say to be honest not trying to scare you guys. If Transit doesn't go there then something else we be put there. Its sad but its the fact of Victoria right now. Pay close attention to the the environmental professional, and ask for any report on the project. The issue for you guys is runoff isn't enough to stop a development from going in. MOE has to approve it first, but if they intend to put it in they must have a riparian assessment (RAR) done.

Here is some info
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...als-ecosystems/fish/riparian-areas-regulation

I have a 124 page PDF from this project. It didn't even pass the OCP amendment. I doubt anything will happen soon to this parcel but anything is better than an industrial facility for buses in a residential area. Anyone interested I can pass along the info.

Darin

GNB
Thanks very much for bringing this issue to our attention.
The last thing Craigflower Creek needs is more runoff from an industrial operation.
Over the years the Creek had been polluted by an auto wrecker, abattoir and others. Since the Creek has been rid of these operations the returns have been increasing.
Coho are very sensitive to pollutants and are the only Salmon in Craigflower Creek. Not one Chum was counted in
Stosh
I saw several large salmon well up Craigflower Creek. Near the north end of the golf course. This was today...Nov 7, 2018

I saw several large salmon well up Craigflower Creek. Near the north end of the golf course. This was today...Nov 7, 2018
I was hoping to check it out on Sunday as I'm sure I would have caught some going up the falls (way more interesting than Goldstream), but never got out as I had issues at home. Last report I have as of last Friday though was 118 fish on Friday, 166 overall (I'm sure a bunch more came through Sunday morning). I will check it out Saturday after the Friday night rain...hopefully the Colquitz kill isn't having an impact on Craigflower as well.

Back