Fishing The Salmon Highway - Esperanza

Good Luck up there. I certainly hope you're not still fishing 10-12 days into this opening. Go get em.

Worst start we have ever seen to an opening. From the beach out to the highway springs are scarcer than hen’s teeth. A week’s effort has produced a catch equivilant to but one mediocre day’s. whole fleet is worried as hell.

Weathered out in Club Z.
Supposed to stay horrid right through the weekend. Hope that improves, and more importantly some springs start to show!

Basically have barely even touched the quota....

Spooked!
Nog

Worst start we have ever seen to an opening. From the beach out to the highway springs are scarcer than hen’s teeth. A week’s effort has produced a catch equivilant to but one mediocre day’s. whole fleet is worried as hell.

Weathered out in Club Z.
Supposed to stay horrid right through the weekend. Hope that improves, and more importantly some springs start to show!

Basically have barely even touched the quota....

Spooked!
Nog

Thats horrible news, Are you fishing the same stocks and timing as previous years? How does the average size compare to previous years?

Thats horrible news, Are you fishing the same stocks and timing as previous years? How does the average size compare to previous years?

Yes - same stocks & timing.
Simply nothing from Winter Harbor down through the Bajo’s both nearshore and off.

Average size is dismal.
These are feeders, Not returning fish.

Fugly:(

Heard Winter harbour and area have been on fire, chinooks to 25# halli 25#.Its going to slow a bit in winter harbour with the 28 or more commie boats each pulling 200 lines but theres lots of places to fish.Might the commie boats not reporting their catch sales, from the the cash sales if the #'s are low?

Columbia returns have been low vs 10 year average, but better than last year at the same time. Overall the Columbia returns are supposed to be lower than last year. Fisheries are saying the runs seem late, like last year. Maybe the fish just haven't shown up yet for the commercial opening? You would expect Columbia fish to be travelling through all spring and summer though.
http://www.cbbulletin.com/440652.aspx

Heard Winter harbour and area have been on fire, chinooks to 25# halli 25#.Its going to slow a bit in winter harbour with the 28 or more commie boats each pulling 200 lines but theres lots of places to fish.Might the commie boats not reporting their catch sales, from the the cash sales if the #'s are low?
Was the person that gave you that report trying to get you to book a fishing trip? Lol

Was the person that gave you that report trying to get you to book a fishing trip? Lol

I've never walked into a tackle shop and had them tell me not to bother to go fishing and that's fishing slow/bad.

Last edited:
i had heard the 50 fathom mark was producing half limits of salmon, white meat was doing well.

A few significant inaccuracies I can’t ignore:
-no commercial troller had 200 lines fishing springs......try maybe 18-30
-Nog always gives accurate reports. If he is not catching fish it is ****** fishing
-commercial not reporting fish and selling cash? My friends out there doing this are honest working people

Sorry for the comments but they just are not true.

In the words of my close hunting partner: “Are you High?”

Winter Harbor is Dead for springs right now. You can ask any of the 20 boats from our fleet tied up there today. They sure as hell would not be if there was anything to catch!

As for the rest of your Drivel, that’s not even slightly worthy of a sneering rebuttal.

Certainly does well display your complete ignorance though...:rolleyes:

Nog

No ones selling me a trip .I have ate freash fish the last two days from winters and the two week report was winter's was on fire. report of best fishing conditions they have seen in years, weather wise.You want to belittle the truth thats your problem.Ignorance is a bliss so some may be the happiest on earth.you have no fish problem just lack of fishing oppertunitys.

The last reports I heard of good fishing in Quatsino were when the herring spawn was on. That was a while ago, those fish would have dispersed with the herring. If the commercial guys say the fishing is poor I tend to believe them, they have fished the areas for decades, are on the water a lot, run a ton of lines, and cover lots of ground.

Maybe the run is late I remember last year for me personally it didn't turn on till around June 20 th out of Nootka so anything is possible and I believe iron noggin also he's always been a good source of info for sure.

Tight lines
Billydoo

Let's hope that saying doesn't come into play !!! It's been rockin on the east coast of the island maybe more fish are coming down the inside however there is a lot of feeder springs as well

I have been hit with the cone of shame from bc ferries a few times doing the overnight run from Edmonton. It is the worst. I feel your pain lol

I’m glad someone else does! Lol

Then to top it off, we were hoping to grab a nap but apparently you can’t stay on the vehicle deck any more. I thought that idea had been rescinded?

... you have no fish problem just lack of fishing oppertunitys.

Yup. Either high, generally out to lunch, or vested interest of some sort in continuing with your disinformation program. :rolleyes:

“High” boat yesterday for those whe ventured out: 5 small feeders. Sad.

Nog

I’m glad someone else does! Lol

Then to top it off, we were hoping to grab a nap but apparently you can’t stay on the vehicle deck any more. I thought that idea had been rescinded?

Lower deck you get the boot. Upper level you can stay. So if you are oversized you are screwed. What a terrible rule. Just install a deafening alarm system or something to wake people up or better idea dont crash and sink the ferry.

Back