Catch n release

Matthias

Is it unethical to continuing fishing catch and release after keeping your limit of chinook?
Although there is a mortality rate associated with releasing hooked fish (I was told 10% on the Vancouver thread), I think that a legal sized fish has a higher chance of survival than an undersized which can't be kept anyways, so you're technically fishing for something that you know you can't keep.
By that logic, fishing for steelhead on a non-retention system would also be considered unethical. Or catching pinks and coho for fun etc..
I'm a sport fisherman, so naturally my goal is to catch as many fish in a day as I can, and when my freezer is empty, I'll keep my limit within the regs.
What is your perspective on this topic?
Not saying I'm right or wrong, would love to understand different perspectives. Maybe it'll change mine!

For me i think i would call it a day after catching my limit but if its not illegal then i believe its up to the individual. We are in a new age where people feel its there duty to make people fall in line with there beliefs be it fishing, hunting, environment, relationships....... We all have a choice to do the things we love, enjoy, or believe in and we all should have a choice to decide if it works for us without others forcing there morals or ethics on others.

I'm not out there to catch and release. I'm there to keep food in my freezer. I wouldn't play the C&R game. If you get your limits of salmon, go check the traps, or maybe try for ling or halibut depending where you are.

How many people play the C&R game and then land a nicer fish, and dump the small one???

My policy with my fishing charters is once you decide to keep a fish that limits out the boat we are done and the lines come in and we go home. With one fish to go before that limit I always ask the customer do you want to keep it or let it go and continue fishing.

I have caught springs that have chunks eating out of them from a seal & they are healing up & doing just fine. Same goes with gear stuck in the mouth. (I got a nice spoon once) I think that any fish that is handled with respect & given time recoup is just fine.

As for the answer to your question,,,, Its a personal choice & perfectly legal. .. Opinions are like belly buttons,,, everyone has them...

Shouldn't take long for treble hooks to be brought up....... Wait for it.......

[QUOTE="How many people play the C&R game and then land a nicer fish, and dump the small one???[/QUOTE]

That isnt the same as its totally illegal.

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions..
From the responses, it sounds like most people believe it's unethical to continue fishing after limits reached, but I'd like to understand WHY you feel this way.
The argument I'm inferring is that it has negative effects on the Chinook population. If there are other anglers like me who enjoy both salt and river fishing, (and back to my original post), how can it then be considered 'ethical' to fish for steelhead, a species that is in more danger than these Chinook, on the squamish where there is no retention. I'm sure the obstacles in a river make the mortality rate higher than 10%.

For me.....when we get a limit we call it a day. In saying that if the intention is to spend a longer day on the water enjoying ourselves, there is always one license with an opening on the dance card.

Just an opinion and we all know how that saying goes.....if tubbed I wouldn't keep C&R. I don't care if mortality is 10%, for the one fish you get that's a bleeder that you have to put back for me it's just a no go; but if there is a spot on the dance card you're all good.

We can all claim to be the best fish handlers but when you've got blood everywhere from a deep hook....you may be a "Good fish handler".....not "God the fish handler" bringing dead fish back to life with magical healing powers. ;)

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions..
From the responses, it sounds like most people believe it's unethical to continue fishing after limits reached, but I'd like to understand WHY you feel this way.

It's not illegal to kiss your cousin....it's kind of unethical; do it too many times and you're bound to grab a boob or butt cheek and that's when it gets bad.....similar principle. :p:p:D

Catch and release away....sooner or later one day you're going to get a bleeder when you've got no room left on your license....and that's when it gets bad. ;):D

Last edited:
Fishing with bait and trebles - no catch release for me.
Fishing with hootchies and large single - I'm ok with it. Generally this would be coho fishing for me.

Unfortunately or fortunately, this generally is not an issue recently.
Usually takes all morning to tub out.

Call it a day for salmon if you've got your daily limit! Go have a beer and a nap! Any limit in a day is a great day in my books!
Or... go fish for bottom fish.

What do you do when one of the C&R fish is obviously mortally wounded but you have already caught your limit?

No right answer there. Most resourceful solution would be to give a fish to a nearby boat but I'm not sure if that's legal or not..
What do you do with a mortally wounded steelhead?

I think it’s fair game. If you double up at sunrise, you’re done for the day by 06:00?
It takes quite a bit of time and effort to get the gear and boat ready then drive to the launch, drive the boat to the spot, then all the way back in then wash the boat, flush the motors and post your catch on the reports forum.
Lucky for you who don’t share my view on this, I’m bad at fishing and I still have never limited out.

Is not just the prep time. I really just like being out fishing!
If it was unethical, I’m sure it would be banned.

You cannot use steelhead as they completely different animals .. way to many different variables..fresh to salt water... active feeding not active feeding .. less aggressive( except some summer fall run steelhead) water temp.ect.. I would say off the record mort rate depending on the gear you are using and Hooks size...which is the biggest facture sets the rate.. 30- 40% percent at times... my two bits... fish to your limit gets my vote... :)

Back