Yamaha T9.9 rust trim pump

I knew my 9.9 had a rust stain in the same spot for a few years so decided it might be wise to check on it to prevent any mid summer downtime to fix something that should be fixed now. This is what I found. Luckily I have an identical 9.9 spare (the big block 9.9 that is also the 15hp) The spare armature cover was almost perfect...just the start of a small area or surface pitting...so sand blasted it, painted and clear coated it. I switched out the entire tilt trim assembly from one motor to the other. Now I need to find another cover so I can have a complete spare 9.9 again.

Attachments

• yamaha.JPG
    yamaha.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 70
  • yamaha1.JPG
    yamaha1.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 71
My t8 had the corroded housing too which turned out to be a destroyed motor because salt water got into it. Replacement is spendy, make sure your motor housing seal is intact. I think the rust messes the seal and then toasts the insides.

I looked into this, and since the cover is actually the stator, the replacement part is $380 from Yamaha. However, you can find a replacement motor on amazon/ebay for around $200. Since the stator is a part of the motor, this is the cheapest option I have found.

Back