One wheel seizes driving forward...uphill

bigdogg1

Looking for your thoughts:

Tandem axle trailer with surge breaks. Spun all 4 hubs prior to use and all seemed fine. Topped off Bearing Buddies (to proper point) and enjoyed a day's fishing.

Drove out today (surge pin was in 'tow' position). One of 4 wheels locked while going up a slight incline. I found I could go back as far as I wanted to but each attempt to go forward met with a lock after ~1/8th of a rotation.

Eventually backed all the way back into my driveway.

Thoughts?

Since its only one wheel it sounds like a local problem with that wheel......
Couple of things Ive had happen.
If drums a broken spring can be allowing a shoe to jam up?
On my discs I had a calliper bolt come out and it allowed it to tilt and wedge into the inside of the rim when going forward but was fine backing up.

Had it happen a couple of times when drum brakes get older.The shoes get jammed up and lock onto the drum.Remove the drum,clean out rust or have turned on lathe and replace shoes.If one wheel is bad others are likely needing attention too.I find it easier just to replace the entire backing plate and replace with new.

Pulled it apart tonight to get a good look - found the lining on one of the shoes had separated from the shoe itself and a piece of it broke off. Looks like I need to pick up some shoes. Is it simplest to simply remove the shoe and bring it to an auto store for sizing, etc?

Drum size & width of shoe should do it. Good idea to snap a picture too. Hope it's a cheap n easy fix for ya.

Pulled it apart tonight to get a good look - found the lining on one of the shoes had separated from the shoe itself and a piece of it broke off. Looks like I need to pick up some shoes. Is it simplest to simply remove the shoe and bring it to an auto store for sizing, etc?

Can you let me know where you find new shoes. i was told its not easy to find new shoes as everyone sells the whole assembly backing plate...

Absolutely. Called Lordco last night and they said the same as Original stated. Will make some calls today.

Spent the day searching out parts...I am likely going to replace the backing plate as Kevind indicated. Somewhere between 80 - 100 and then I am sure that the other shoe is not about to go, or the adjusting star, or the piston, or...

Here is a question: I cannot get to the replacement procedure, including bleeding brakes, until next week. I do have a couple of pre-planned night fishes this week. What are your thoughts about putting the wheel back on? The trailer is tandem and the other 3 wheels are in working order. I will be launching 10 minutes door to ramp.

Being hydraulic brakes putting the drum back on with the piece of shoe missing and not readjusting will give you a no trailer brake situation. The master probably doesn't have enough volume to make any very effective. Adjust the shoes and you just have to worry about scoring the drum. I guess legally depends on Boat weight and truck capacity. I would probably go fishing!
Also googled for shoes and $45 a wheel? That's nuts!

Last edited:
where are you at @bigdogg1?
pacific spring and axle in langley stock most all the trailer brake parts you'll need

I've heard of a guy on marine drive under the Arthurlang bridge the will put replace the pads on your shoes. Not sure if he is still around.

I have used this guys before...you can take in your old shoes and he can re-line. Old school shop..not many guys still doing this..and if you bring in your drum he can arc to make it fit well. I am not sure how fast a turn-around as it is not like a Tim Hortons for speed...but worth checking out if you are in a bind for finding replacement shoes. Remember on disc brakes to get organic pads and not metallic for boat trailers. http://www.sencobrake.com/ They are a little east of Knight Street bridge and just below Marine Drive. Hope that helps you or others.

looking at the website link you posted they are located in surrey. Is it the same guy that moved shop or a different company than the one in vancouver?

where are you at @bigdogg1?
pacific spring and axle in langley stock most all the trailer brake parts you'll need
Thanks for all the options. Live on the Island so have tried Lordco, PA, and a few others. Could not find shoes for less than 45 per pair so of another 40 might as well replace the entire assembly.

Kevind I think they must have just moved. When the well known DV Aldous brake shop on Fraser Street closed they were referring business to this guy...

Kevind I think they must have just moved. When the well known DV Aldous brake shop on Fraser Street closed they were referring business to this guy...

thanks i was looking for the place last night to bookmarked the website, never know when you will need it.

A few years ago a shop switched my hydraulic brakes to electric drums. It seemed every year I was paying $2000+ to have the brakes and bearings redone after a squeaky or seized wheel showed up. Being mechanically inclined...enough is enough, the salt water dipping kept rusting the brake parts so I started ordering brake shoes, seals, bearings, rims, backing plates, etc on line. Now I replace all 4 for 1/4 the price myself every year. With shipping these online stores still knock the local parts places out of the water.
https://www.hitchweb.com
http://www.cerka.ca

Back