Alouette Lake Kokanee

Was out last night. Glorious on the water, as usual. Very few boats, little wind and some bites to keep things interesting.

My buddy got a nice rainbow 1.5lbs and I was lucky enough to tag into a substantial bull. Plus a few kokanee, which really seem to come on at dusk.

Sorry for the crop, but can't have the background in the shot for the internet to see. Just quickly lifted her out of the water for a pic and back she swam away strongly.

Glad I got this on a medium action Clarus and not on my noodly kokanee rod. It was a battle, but it was good to make it a quicker fight on the right gear and not overly tax the fish.

Attachments

• May 3rd 2018 Bull.jpg
    May 3rd 2018 Bull.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 60
Was out last night. Glorious on the water, as usual. Very few boats, little wind and some bites to keep things interesting.

My buddy got a nice rainbow 1.5lbs and I was lucky enough to tag into a substantial bull. Plus a few kokanee, which really seem to come on at dusk.

Sorry for the crop, but can't have the background in the shot for the internet to see. Just quickly lifted her out of the water for a pic and back she swam away strongly.

Glad I got this on a medium action Clarus and not on my noodly kokanee rod. It was a battle, but it was good to make it a quicker fight on the right gear and not overly tax the fish.

Theirs my loch ness! good on you for finding him!

It only took me 3 years, lol. But I think I have an idea on how to replicate the success, somewhat. End of the day, its just not a productive, nutrient rich lake. Although there are more to be found, and BIGGER. Maybe...

31531358_10155261512056857_3836569327738290176_n.jpg

The dam and the constant change in water level kills any growth that forms on rocks near the surface. That top 6 feet of water level where plants grow near shore gets killed every year when they drop the water level. Then there's the huge amount of flushing that occurs from gold creek.

However you can take some satisfaction in knowing that alouette sockeye will be around for years to come while cultus lake sockeye will be wiped out because they can migrate to the ocean. It's actually pretty sad when you think about it.

Did well, got on the water at just before 5pm. A couple of bites before 7pm, then it was hot until just before dark when we turned on the nav lights and headed back to the dock. Fast action at times with 2 or 3 rods bouncing at any given time. Half dozen or so kokes, most released as they were small. Kept two. Didn't try for bulls.

Ended the night with double header, rainbow and cuttie;

Attachments

• alouette May 9th..jpg
    alouette May 9th..jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 40
Went this afternoon, walked to the boat launch and hiked along the shore leading away from the beach. Found a decent rock to cast off, just using a spinner with roe on a bobber.

No luck, not even a bite, I really need a boat, lol

Might try Mike again tomorrow!

Lots of guys have luck out there in that area. Try casting out a bobber or just a weight with the bait on bottom. Look for the ledge that drops off and make sure you get just passed it. Early or late in the day is best.

On another note;

KNOW THE FXCKING REGULATIONS PEOPLE. AND GENERALLY DO THE RIGHT THING.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1719/fishing_synopsis_2017-19_region2.pdf

I was on the water yesterday, I see a guy trolling in a small 17-18ft bowrider, yellow. I would guess late 90's early 2000's, guy and his wife/GF.

He's trolling off his main (inboard) no kicker. I see what I think is a drift sock off his starboard side, upon closer look he's dragging an effing 5-7lb Bull trout on a stinger. The fish is ALIVE and thrashing around right on the surface. As he passes I get a good look, and say "is that a bull?".

With a big **** eating grin he says, "yeah!" and immediately says 1 trout/char over 50cms. I say, "NO NO NO, you HAVE to release that, it is NO RETENTION OF BULLS ON ALOUETTE". He sheepishly turns his boat so I can only see his port side as I am trolling northbound. I can only hope that he was fussing to release it and not shelter himself from my eyes.

Jesus. Then as I get back to the launch to take my boat out of the water at about 2pm as the wind is picking up, two dumbasses doing donuts and ripping around in the 8km/hr area out front of the launch. Hard enough with a packed launch and dock with northernly winds to not have to deal with smashing wakes.

Right at the launch there are sighs showing the 8kn/hr area, and NO RETENTION OF BULLS signs. Don't even get me started on people just BLASTING music while sitting at the dock, while crushing beers. On summer days like this, a vist from a park ranger our CO once in a while would go a LONG WAYS.

I've been to Alouette at least 100 times, been checked by a CO once. Never seen a cop or ranger at the actual launch.

Lots of guys have luck out there in that area. Try casting out a bobber or just a weight with the bait on bottom. Look for the ledge that drops off and make sure you get just passed it. Early or late in the day is best.

On another note;

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1719/fishing_synopsis_2017-19_region2.pdf

I was on the water yesterday, I see a guy trolling in a small 17-18ft bowrider, yellow. I would guess late 90's early 2000's, guy and his wife/GF.

He's trolling off his main (inboard) no kicker. I see what I think is a drift sock off his starboard side, upon closer look he's dragging an effing 5-7lb Bull trout on a stinger. The fish is ALIVE and thrashing around right on the surface. As he passes I get a good look, and say "is that a bull?".

With a big **** eating grin he says, "yeah!" and immediately says 1 trout/char over 50cms. I say, "NO NO NO, you HAVE to release that, it is NO RETENTION OF BULLS ON ALOUETTE". He sheepishly turns his boat so I can only see his port side as I am trolling northbound. I can only hope that he was fussing to release it and not shelter himself from my eyes.

Jesus. Then as I get back to the launch to take my boat out of the water at about 2pm as the wind is picking up, two dumbasses doing donuts and ripping around in the 8km/hr area out front of the launch. Hard enough with a packed launch and dock with northernly winds to not have to deal with smashing wakes.

Right at the launch there are sighs showing the 8kn/hr area, and NO RETENTION OF BULLS signs. Don't even get me started on people just BLASTING music while sitting at the dock, while crushing beers. On summer days like this, a vist from a park ranger our CO once in a while would go a LONG WAYS.

I've been to Alouette at least 100 times, been checked by a CO once. Never seen a cop or ranger at the actual launch.

a little early in the season for that gong show, guess the nice weather bought out that crowd

Yeah, while I was there a bunch of guys were ripping around in seadoos directly in front of the boat launch, that's why I walked down shore but they ended up following and passed about 20ft from my lure. Of course I was sitting on a chair with my rod and book right at the water, so I had to jump back to avoid getting hit with the wake, bastards, lol

On another note, I finally pulled the trigger last night and ordered a boat! A Pelican Bass Raider 10e. She's due to arrive the 13th

Been shore fishing the waters around Maple Ridge for a few years now, never caught a thing. Enough is enough! Haha

Last edited:
So I finally pulled the trigger last night and ordered a boat, a Pelican Bass Raider 10e. She's due to arrive the 13th

Been shore fishing the waters around Maple Ridge for a few years now, never caught a thing. Enough is enough! Haha

Mike lake, October, off the dock, bottom rig with a floating egg

Attachments

• 4E573877-FF48-4983-A5E6-8E6BD3CFC4DF.jpeg
    4E573877-FF48-4983-A5E6-8E6BD3CFC4DF.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 28
Was at Mike for a few hours with a buddy this evening, using weight with a 2ft leader and floating powerbait, not even a nibble, surface action was pretty quiet too. Water felt fairly warm actually.

On another note;

I stopped going to there a few years ago because of the gong show. Had some luck at stave on sunday caught a few kokanee! I usually fish the chuck, first run of the year and got lucky.

I stopped going to there a few years ago because of the gong show. Had some luck at stave on sunday caught a few kokanee! I usually fish the chuck, first run of the year and got lucky.

Was thinking I might try there this week, were you on shore or the water?

Back