Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is hired by the Farms to put out good publicity. Everything is completely biased. He has no science or very little that supports his opinions.

World's oldest profession - I guess. Too bad for the fish, tho...

This is the problem from both sides..
its opinions..
When the public sees press releases that say..
"MAY"
"MIGHT"
"WE THINK"
"ITS OUR OPINION THAT"
For me its not good enough..
It has to be 100% FACT for me to believe anything...i guess thats why I'm not religious and I'm not on one side or the other of this argument sorry to disappoint.
Carry on
I think it is a good idea to breathe. You can hold your breathe if you want to. carry on...

Definition of due diligence
law : the care that a reasonable person exercises to avoid harm to other persons or their property or failed to exercise due diligence in trying to prevent the accident

The Precautionary Principle is defined as follows:
When human activities may lead to morally unacceptable harm that is scientifically plausible but uncertain, actions shall be taken to avoid or diminish that harm. Morally unacceptable harm refers to harm to humans or the environment that is
  • threatening to human life or health, or
  • serious and effectively irreversible, or
  • inequitable to present or future generations, or
  • imposed without adequate consideration of the human rights of those affected.
The judgement of plausibility should be grounded in scientific analysis. Analysis should be ongoing so that chosen actions are subject to review. Uncertainty may apply to, but need not be limited to, causality or the bounds of the possible harm.
Actions are interventions that are undertaken before harm occurs that seek to avoid or diminish the harm. Actions should be chosen that are proportional to the seriousness of the potential harm, with consideration of their positive and negative consequences, and with an assessment of the moral implications of both action and inaction. The choice of action should be the result of a participatory process.

This is the problem from both sides..
its opinions..
When the public sees press releases that say..
"MAY"
"MIGHT"
"WE THINK"
"ITS OUR OPINION THAT"
For me its not good enough..
It has to be 100% FACT for me to believe anything...i guess thats why I'm not religious and I'm not on one side or the other of this argument sorry to disappoint.
Carry on

I agree the Use of the word "May" in the actually report is far to prevelament. https://www.psf.ca/sites/default/files/ISH Manuscript + Suppl mat.pdf

In Engineering we use it all the time in reports and on signed drawings. We call it the weasel clause, we also like to use the word "appears" . We use it for liability issues

Like thinking there may be a fish over here w/o any "proof"?? hmmm....

She uses is for the obvious reason is she has tested no dead diseased wild salmon that can be linked to salmon farms. As stated in the report its kinda hard to get thoes samples when they are being eating.

Basically shes says if farmed chinook salmon have the virus/disease the wild counterpart can also get them. ITs really the chinook salmon farms that put the nail in the coffin.

I think its an even better idea to go fishing
You can carry on copy and pasteing and ill continue to think for myself.

It is hard to understand why you call the important fish farm news, which is coming out on a frequent basis and getting posted on this site, simply "copy and pasteing"
No doubt you are capable of "ill continue to think for myself" as you put it.
We are all capable of thinking for ourselves, but you fail to understand that not all members have the opportunity to receive all the news and by posting it, those who wish to read it have the opportunity to decide for themselves on how they feel about Open Net Pen Atlantic Fish Farms.
I for one am grateful to Agentaqua, GLG and the others who make the effort to keep us informed!!
If you want to do it on you own, fine....do it on your own.
Why do you bother reading posts on Fish Farms and posting on the subject?
Heaven forbid you want to try and influence someone else.

Last edited:
It is hard to understand why you call the important fish farm news, which is coming out on a frequent basis and getting posted on this site, simply "copy and pasteing"
No doubt you are capable of "ill continue to think for myself" as you put it.
We are all capable of thinking for ourselves, but you fail to understand that not all members have the opportunity to receive all the news and by posting it, those who wish to read it have the opportunity to decide for themselves on how they feel about Open Net Pen Atlantic Fish Farms.
I for one am grateful to Agentaqua, GLG and the others who make the effort to keep us informed!!
If you want to do it on you own, fine....do it on your own.
Why do you bother reading posts on Fish Farms and posting on the subject?
Heaven forbid you want to try and influence someone else.

Why do I read these posts?..probably the same reasons most do here..to see if there is any new scientific proven facts either way on this subject.
I want to see/read 100%true facts..no biased opinions from either side.
IMO It does/ It will, is far better to plead your case and sway a fence sitter like me.

when a poster says a class action suit should be filed with a "It May/ It Might or It Could" kind of evidence i shake my head.

Whats peoples thoughts on having the death penalty for "might have" "may have" "could have"

[QUOTE="SpringFever552, post: 873226, member: 804
Whats peoples thoughts on having the death penalty for "might have" "may have" "could have"[/QUOTE]

Lots of people have been found guilty of murder without finding a body!!
No one is asking for the death penalty for fish farms, they just want them put on dry land, which fortunately is happening.
Are you suggesting that unless the dead fish can be found, counted and put on display, Open Net Pen Fish Farms are not guilty of killing any salmon and should be allowed to continue polluting our ocean??

[QUOTE="SpringFever552, post: 873226, member: 804
Whats peoples thoughts on having the death penalty for "might have" "may have" "could have"

No one is asking for the death penalty for fish farms, they just want them put on dry land, which fortunately is happening.
Are you suggesting that unless the dead fish can be found, counted and put on display, Open Net Pen Fish Farms are not guilty of killing any salmon and should be allowed to continue polluting our ocean??[/QUOTE]
Lots of people have been wrongfully convicted of murder to released years later after proven by science, "with out a doubt", innocent. Public and political pressure demanding a mystery solved is proven to prompt inappropriate convictions.

Are you suggesting that unless the dead fish can be found, counted and put on display, Open Net Pen Fish Farms are not guilty of killing any salmon and should be allowed to continue polluting our ocean??
Lots of people have been wrongfully convicted of murder to released years later after proven by science, "with out a doubt", innocent. Public and political pressure demanding a mystery solved is proven to prompt inappropriate convictions.[/QUOTE]

lol that was a great rebuttal, regardless of the topic at hand

Dead bodies, reverse convictions and science LOL
no need to participate in a ridiculous topic which has nothing to do with Fish Farm posts

Last edited:
Dont know where "over here" is..but I know where I am there IS fish to catch
Because you "believe" there is fish over wherever - does not "prove" there is - but still you fish - and voilà - sometimes catch a fish. Only after acting on your belief - which you claimed was not "good enough" - did you find proof.

That is called acting on a balance of probabilities - that's exactly what our regulators are supposed to do - act responsibly - and act even in the absence of absolute proof. carry on...

The Precautionary Approach in Canadian Fisheries
In resource management, the PA is, in general, about being cautious when scientific information is uncertain, unreliable or inadequate and not using the absence of adequate scientific information as a reason to postpone or fail to take action to avoid serious harm to the resource.
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/reports-rapports/regs/sff-cpd/precaution-back-fiche-eng.htm

Last edited:
Salmon study findings spur calls for fish-farm regulation in British Columbia

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ur-calls-for-fish-farm-regulation-in-british/

"B.C Agriculture Minister Lana Popham is calling on Ottawa to step up its regulation of aquaculture on the West Coast after a scientific study raised new concerns about the presence of a virus in farmed Pacific salmon....

This is absolutely pathetic from our province they don't have the balls to kill the industry though stopping the leases so they are defecting to the feds.

How come they choose to do court challenge after court challenge for pipelines? though pipelines clearly fall under fed jurisdiction. Yet fish farms leases that fall under Provencal approval and they do nothing.

Are you guy going to let the Provence of BC off the hook???

province has union pension or protecting money tied up in FF investments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back