Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
" salmon lice on seven of their fourteen Clayoquot farm sites are up to ten times higher than the threshold which requires treatment. "
Any word on when and how Cermaq are going to get this serious lice problem under control?

" salmon lice on seven of their fourteen Clayoquot farm sites are up to ten times higher than the threshold which requires treatment. "
Any word on when and how Cermaq are going to get this serious lice problem under control?

They have upgraded the problem from serious to very serious. Next update will be very, very serious. Kidding aside here is what I found.
https://www.cermaq.com/wps/wcm/conn...esponse+to+sea+lice+levels+in+clayoquot+sound

https://www.desmog.ca/2018/05/02/b-...litres-pesticide-clayoquot-sound-salmon-farms

This is why the are not using "SLICE" on this latest problem.

"When levels reach an average of 3 motile sea lice per fish a treatment using the active ingredient Emamectin benzoate (SLICE) has historically been used effectively. To measure the effectiveness of the drug on the sea lice, a bioassay is performed. This assay consists of sampling sea lice from the infected population to be treated then exposing the sampled louse to increasing concentrations of the active ingredient. As indicated from the results found in table 1 we have observed that lice sampled from Bawden Farm have remained sensitive to Emamectin benzoate. However in table 2, a subsequent bioassay showed resistance to Emamectin benzoate."
https://www.cermaq.com/wps/wcm/conn...icide+Use+Permit+Application..pdf?MOD=AJPERES

mother nature always wins. she is fighting harder.

OMG
If Agentaqua’s post above does not bring our Government and DFO to their senses what will…
“Cermaq’s documentation on salmon lice for April show that the numbers of salmon lice on seven of their fourteen Clayoquot farm sites are up to ten times higher than the threshold which requires treatment. The regulatory threshold is three motile salmon lice per farm fish.
Salmon lice continue to plague the salmon farming industry globally. The chemical treatments Cermaq plans have not solved the salmon lice problem anywhere in the world.”

The Sea Lice video link below is a MUST WATCH! Be sure to watch the video on the top right...Could be slow to load, please be patient.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ps-GumjM4j7RmsYT-kVu1GjJR2ojltqz
The Sea Lice problem, just one of many problems, with Fish Farms, has been discussed on this forum before and the Fish Farm guys have dismissed it.
“We are going to be stuck with 1980’s technology. Our governments need to be investing in moving this industry forward into the new millennium,” Glambeck said.

“At the same time we are losing our wild salmon and allowing them go the same way as the East Coast cod. All the markers are there, the science is there to show we really need to intervene and get these farms out of the ocean,” she said.

Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Land and Natural Resource Operations, who is in charge of provincial aquaculture tenures, has said that the province is interested in moving to closed containment and, with 22 fish farm tenures coming due for renewal in June, both the industry and environmental groups will be watching closely.

The smoking gun - FINALLY after all the years of denials. I wish there was some accountability from the FF lobby as to their actions. I hope this ends up in a class-action lawsuit...

PRV VIRUS MAY CAUSE DISEASE IN CHINOOK SALMON
The Pacific Salmon Foundation is taking the unusual step of posting a scientific paper in advance of publication within a scientific journal. The paper by Di Cicco et al. (2018) was accepted for publication in FACETS on the 23 April 2018 and is referenced as: DOI 10.1139/facets-2018-0008. This article will be released in the journal in May or June, 2018 editions but the date is uncertain. The paper is an outcome of the Strategic Salmon Health Initiative lead by Dr. Kristi Miller-Saunders (DFO Science) and Dr. Brian Riddell (PSF) but neither person will be available for comment from mid-May through early June, 2018. To respect that media or others may wish comment from these leaders, PSF and the editor of FACETS have decided that posting the article in advance is an appropriate means to address this.
https://www.psf.ca/news-media/prv-virus-may-cause-disease-chinook-salmon

https://www.psf.ca/sites/default/files/ISH Manuscript + Suppl mat.pdf

Its already been very well documented that Farming Chinook salmon poses more risks than Atlantic salmon. It's ironic tho that Washington state only banned Atlantic salmon farms and now may see Chinook salmon farms that will pose a far greater risk. This study compared farmed Chinook salmon to, farmed Atlantic salmon and then concluded that if farmed Chinook salmon we more sensitive to disease and virus, that its wild counterpart migrating through areas where there are salmon farms would be just as susceptible. I accept that conclusion

"Viral genome sequencing revealed no consistent differences in PRV-1 variants intimately involved in the development of both diseases, suggesting that migratory Chinook salmon may be at more than a minimal risk of disease from exposure to the high levels of PRV occurring on salmon farms."

"While we know from previous studies that currently only Strain PRV-1 has been observed in British Columbia"

However it also stated that the PRV variant does not matter, That regardless of where the PRV came from, The pacific variant PRV-1, the Atlantic PRV-3 (i.e. the Norwegian PRV-II)., the Japanese PRV-2 ect.. That Chinook salmon were just as susceptible to it.

What Fish Farms do is amplife the exposure, So even tho PRV-1 is endemic to BC, Fish Farms spread the disease, I also accept that conclusion

So basically the conclusion is High Density areas of fish farms along wild salmon migration routes are bad. I believe we agreed on that conclusion months ago

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/aah-saa/species-especes/aq-health-sante/prv-rp-eng.html

Last edited:
The smoking gun - FINALLY after all the years of denials. I wish there was some accountability from the FF lobby as to their actions. I hope this ends up in a class-action lawsuit...

The Pacific Salmon Foundation is taking the unusual step of posting a scientific paper in advance of publication within a scientific journal. The paper by Di Cicco et al. (2018) was accepted for publication in FACETS on the 23 April 2018 and is referenced as: DOI 10.1139/facets-2018-0008. This article will be released in the journal in May or June, 2018 editions but the date is uncertain. The paper is an outcome of the Strategic Salmon Health Initiative lead by Dr. Kristi Miller-Saunders (DFO Science) and Dr. Brian Riddell (PSF) but neither person will be available for comment from mid-May through early June, 2018. To respect that media or others may wish comment from these leaders, PSF and the editor of FACETS have decided that posting the article in advance is an appropriate means to address this.

Go in front of a judge and say "he/she/they MAY have killed that person and see how far you get...

When the evidence is worded like that the judge would throw your butt out of court...

Come back when the evidence says "it did or does what they are saying"

How about the words: "due diligence", "fiduciary duty", "reasonable and probable", and/or "liability", SF?

I am sure the PR machine attached to the industry has been hard at work all morning - and will shortly issue a PR release to try to mitigate the findings by either shooting the messenger and/or attempting to discredit the science - actions taking in an attempt to stall any potential management actions like restricting the industry....

Last edited:
Virus killing farmed Pacific and Atlantic salmon raises risk for wild B.C. population: study

Scientists have discovered that a highly-contagious virus impacting farmed Atlantic salmon also harms their Pacific cousins, and could pose a serious threat to British Columbia’s declining wild salmon population if it spreads from ocean pens to key migration routes.

The study, which will be published in the journal FACETS later this month, was done in partnership with the Pacific Salmon Foundation and Genome BC. Researchers looked at samples of farmed Pacific Chinook and Atlantic salmon, and confirmed the presence of the highly-contagious piscine reovirus (PRV) in both species.

“It’s the same strain of virus,” lead author Kristi Miller, the head of salmon genetics for Fisheries and Oceans Canada, told CTV News.
In Chinook salmon, the fish developed jaundice anemia. It’s a condition marked by the fish’s yellowish colour and organ failure. In Atlantic salmon, the virus can cause heart and skeletal muscle inflammation, or HSMI.

Researchers have linked the PRV strain to a surge of related disease outbreaks reported in Pacific salmon in Norway, Chile, Japan and Canada in recent years.

But Shawn Hall, a spokesperson for the BC Salmon Farmers Association, said the latest study needs to be “looked at with a critical eye.”

“Its conclusions are speculative at best,” he said, adding that the findings are “inconsistent” with those of other scientists around the world or what fish farmers see every day.

Hall pointed to previous research summarized in a report on the Fisheries and Oceans Canada website, which found that, unlike in Norway, “experimental exposures” of the B.C. strain of PRV to Pacific and Atlantic salmon in the province did not result in disease or death among the fish.

“This suggests PRV in B.C. has a low ability to cause disease (low virulence) for these species,” the report said.

Another report recently produced by the BC Salmon Farmers Association following a workshop with scientists to discuss the PRV issue said that, to date, HSMI has only been "described in farmed fish, globally (never diagnosed in wild fish)."

Hall said the fish on B.C. farms are “generally very healthy” and the association continues to participate in research on health of both wild and farmed salmon.

PRV is less of a problem inside B.C. fish farms, where feed can be medicated. In most cases, impacted fish are still fit to be sold and eaten by humans. The greater risk lies in the possibility of farmed adult fish infected with the disease spreading it through the water as wild juvenile salmon migrate past open nets.

“If the farmers say it doesn’t affect their bottom line, that is fine for them,” Miller said. “But we have something else at stake here. We have risk to the wild salmon.”

Washington state is set to phase out marine farming of Atlantic salmon and other non-native fish by 2022, under legislation signed by Gov. Jay Inslee.

The move follows the escape of up to 263,000 invasive Atlantic salmon into Puget Sound in late August, after net pens belonging to Canada’s Cooke Aquaculture Pacific collapsed.

“Escaped farmed salmon, which are most often infected with PRV, could also be a transmission vector for freshwater infections in wild fish if they enter rivers,” Miller wrote in the study.

Many wild salmon advocates in B.C. argue the province should follow suit with a similar plan to reduce risk. Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s 2018 Pacific salmon outlook suggests the decline in overall population will continue.

While most of the backlash against B.C.’s salmon farming industry has been directed at fish farms, there are also growing concerns that processing plants may be contributing to problems with disease.

Last November, CTV News obtained video footage that shows a farmed-salmon processing plant in the Discovery Passage channel off Vancouver Island discharging bloody effluent from a pipe under the water. The pipe is connected to Brown's Bay Packing Co., a farmed Atlantic salmon processing plant near Campbell River, B.C. Water samples sent to the Atlantic Veterinary College for analysis revealed the presence of PRV.

A report tabled in Parliament by Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development Julie Gelfand on April 24 suggests the Department of Fisheries and Oceans is not adequately managing the risks associated with the growing salmon farming industry.

The report highlights lax enforcement of current regulations, as well as the absence of requirements to monitor the ocean floor beneath fish farms, and clear national standards for nets and equipment.

Gelfand’s report also found that only one of the 10 risk assessments of key diseases the Department of Fisheries and Oceans had committed to completing by 2020 has been done.

“We found that the Department was not monitoring wild fish health,” the commissioner wrote in her report.

Jay Ritchlin, the David Suzuki Foundation’s director general in Western Canada, worries that farms in waters where juvenile wild salmon grow up are prematurely exposing those populations to adult diseases.

“Diseases and parasites that might be considered somewhat natural in an adult population are being put in front of juvenile wild salmon in a way that never happened in evolution,” he said. “Given the numerous challenges that wild salmon face, every exposure to increased disease risk is a problem, and one we should try to mitigate.”

Ritchlin is among the growing chorus of observers calling for the industry to shift to contained farms, ideally on land, both to control farmed fish losses and prevent the spread of disease into the natural ecosystem.

He said the lives of B.C.’s wild salmon population likely hang in the balance.

“If these diseases get into the wild population we will likely never see those fish again. They will end up on the bottom of the ocean or in the belly of a seal, and they will lose out because they are not as fit as other wild fish,” he said. “They don’t have veterinarians.”

With a report from CTV’s B.C. Bureau Chief Melanie Nagy
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/virus...918507#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=w066rQ

How about the words: "due diligence", "fiduciary duty", "reasonable and probable", and/or "liability", SF?

I am sure the PR machine attached to the industry has been hard at work all morning - and will shortly issue a PR release to try to mitigate the findings by either shooting the messenger and/or attempting to discredit the science - actions taking in an attempt to stall any potential management actions like restricting the industry....

Go in front of a judge and say "he/she/they MAY have killed that person and see how far you get...

When the evidence is worded like that the judge would throw your butt out of court...

Come back when the evidence says "it did or does what they are saying"

This has been in the courts and guess what.... the courts agreed with the science and not the fish farms.
We have known this since 2015 and I'm not sure why you forgot this SF552.

"the weight of the expert evidence before this Court supports the view that PRV is the viral precursor to HSMI"
https://ecojustice.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/T-789-13-Judgment-and-Reasons.pdf

I can't hit the Like button on this one.
It actually made me feel ill.
Guess we can kiss those SRKW's goodbye....

The long awaited rebuttal By Fabian Dawson
Salmon virus study is about activism not science: experts
yep! They are - if anything - very (sadly) predictable, WMY...

Like watching a train crash in slo-mode...

I can't hit the Like button on this one.
It actually made me feel ill.
Guess we can kiss those SRKW's goodbye....

Even if we could force feed SRKW fillet o fish sandwiches their is evidence out that they are in a genetic bottle neck and inbred. Not mention their fat cells and best milk is full of pollution.

Not sure their is anything we can do with our current policy around importing more humans to the west coasts. Human population on the west coast is probably their biggest problem.

but why so much activism? lol
I know, TW. It's kinda predictable, ineffective and ironic - all at the same time - trying to shift the focus onto those "evil" activists and away from the data and the implications of the science.

Like saying being "inactive" and not performing due diligence is a "good" thing, instead. That's the ironic corollary of Dawson's statement - the irony probably escaping Dawson - who is obviously too caught up in self-identifying with a "team" to understand what good governance and due diligence should look like. sad - truly sad given the impacts to our wild salmon...

Even if we could force feed SRKW fillet o fish sandwiches their is evidence out that they are in a genetic bottle neck and inbred. Not mention their fat cells and best milk is full of pollution.

Not sure their is anything we can do with our current policy around importing more humans to the west coasts. Human population on the west coast is probably their biggest problem.
True, all that. Still no excuse for starving them.

That guy is a joke man. Paid spinner, waiting to write junk.
It's his opinion at best.
Pretty irresponsible "reporting", tho... some in the pro-camp might even believe him. Doubt is a commodity that some don't mind profiting from - esp. when they aren't affected by those consequences...

That guy is a joke man. Paid spinner, waiting to write junk.
It's his opinion at best.

This is the problem from both sides..
its opinions..
When the public sees press releases that say..
"MAY"
"MIGHT"
"WE THINK"
"ITS OUR OPINION THAT"
For me its not good enough..
It has to be 100% FACT for me to believe anything...i guess thats why I'm not religious and I'm not on one side or the other of this argument sorry to disappoint.
Carry on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back