Emergency Victoria @ Area SFAB Mtg Re: 2018 Chinook - May 4/18

SVIAC

******************** NOTICE OF EMERGENCY MEETING ***********************

What: Emergency DFO 2018 Chinook Management Proposal

Host: Victoria and Area SFAB Committee

When: Friday May 4th at 7:00pm

Location: still to be determined (check in at https://www.facebook.com/SouthVancouverIslandAnglersCoalition

I apologise for the very short notice - the reason is explained below ...

DFO has very recently proposed adding Chinook fishing measures for the summer of 2018 to reduce exploitation by 25% - 35% on three (3) Fraser River stocks of concern: Nicola 4-2s; Sushwap 4-1s; and Harrison 4-1s. 2018 has already been identified as a year to expect low adult returns, where Zone 1 measures will continue in effect, however DFO suggests these three stocks are of particular concern. In the past three weeks DFO has been preparing exploitation modelling tools and an SFAB technical team has been looking at various options to meet the DFO request and discussing the merits of implementing such a regimen. Measures could impact multiple areas around Southern BC not just Victoria and Sooke. This meeting is to share with you what is being proposed by DFO, the implications to your fisheries and what the SFAB technical committee feels is a workable solution under difficult circumstances.

As with the proposed closures relating to Southern Resident Killer Whales, this has been placed on our SFAB desks at the very last minute in the IFMP consultations process with no fore-warning and now we need to consult with you, our constituents before the SFAB response is submitted to DFO on the 7th. As there will be an important planning meeting on Thursday 3rd May for the SFAB technical team and the SFAB has to advise DFO of their recommendations by Monday 7th, there is unfortunately no other alternative to Friday evening for the Victoria and Area SFAB Committee meeting. I do hope you can join us and I will send out location details shortly. Please forward this email on to other anglers and fishing clubs to let them know about this meeting.

Location details will be emailed to this list and posted on sportfishingbc.com forum and on theSVIAC Facebook page ...

https://www.facebook.com/SouthVancouverIslandAnglersCoalition

Hope to see you there and thank you for your understanding,

Regards,
Chris

Christopher Bos
Victoria and Area Committee Chair
Sport Fishing Advisory Board
(778) 426-4141
C.Bos@shaw.ca

Last edited:
**************** MEETING LOCATION CONFIRMATION******************

The Victoria and Area SFAB Committee meeting, scheduled for this Friday May 4th at 7:00 p.m., will be held in the Ballroom of the Four Points by Sheraton Victoria Gateway Hotel, 829 McCallum Road, Victoria (The hotel is located behind Costco in Langford)

All are welcome to attend and please share this meeting invitation broadly so local salmon anglers know about it. There is no charge to attend, parking is free and the facilities are wheelchair accessible. There will be a cash bar in the room and I understand the hotel is planning a meeting dinner special in the restaurant for those who want to eat there before the meeting starts.

The meeting agenda will include:
  • PowerPoint about the DFO proposed additional Fraser Chinook measures in 2018
  • The proposed local SFAB committee response and a summary about other PFMAs where possible
  • PowerPoint update about the DFO Proposed Southern Resident Killer Whale closures
  • Initiating an angler-based stock composition and bio-sampling program

I look forward to seeing everyone there,

Chris
PH: (778) 426-4141
Email: Governor@shaw.ca

F$&k all this bs. I want a refund on my saltwater licence. Bull **** and F off dfo. And I have a boat for sale.

Lol sounds like you were quoting me from the meeting.

Back