Water in the oil

When you get it back together you really need to find out why it did that. Mine was overheating at initial startup and I didn't notice it. The thermostat would open up but avery high temp and that's what blew it. When thermostat is bad it flips and brings temp down initially but I high temp spike isn't good. I wasn't paying attention to temp gauge, and the alarm was broken. We reinstalled new gaskets etc and it did it again before I found the less than 10.00 part was causing the issues.

Sounds like if you put new manifolds or risers it is not a big deal.

Do you have rust at the top (near the handle)of your oil dipstick?replace dipstick aswell as it may break off inside of tube.My 4.3 chev had simular problems and then I stoped getting cheep oil changes from a pnumatic pump that possible water came from air sourse or bottom of the barrol oil.my oil is now fine and have no rusting problems on the dipstick.

When you get it back together you really need to find out why it did that. Mine was overheating at initial startup and I didn't notice it. The thermostat would open up but avery high temp and that's what blew it. When thermostat is bad it flips and brings temp down initially but I high temp spike isn't good. I wasn't paying attention to temp gauge, and the alarm was broken. We reinstalled new gaskets etc and it did it again before I found the less than 10.00 part was causing the issues.

Sounds like if you put new manifolds or risers it is not a big deal.
Motor has been running at a nice temp, 160-165. I have a 160F thermostat in it. All seems good on that end of things.

What’s the oil look like.?

If it’s clear. Buy a lottery ticket because you have a horse shoe lodged somewhere

Do you have rust at the top (near the handle)of your oil dipstick?replace dipstick aswell as it may break off inside of tube.My 4.3 chev had simular problems and then I stoped getting cheep oil changes from a pnumatic pump that possible water came from air sourse or bottom of the barrol oil.my oil is now fine and have no rusting problems on the dipstick.
No rust on the dipstick all is good. This moisture is a very recent occurence, right after my loose hose issue.

When was the last time the thermostat was changed? A while back my old boats kicker thermostat got stuck open. If the motor can not get up to operating temperature it will create a significant amount of condensation and you end up with your milkshake. Pull the thermostat and toss it in some boiling water, pull it out and allow it to cool, if it stays stuck open that’s your problem or it may not always happen, best to replace it. I doubt the motor would have kept running with a washdown hose spraying directly at the intake. You would have heard a significant amount of backfiring if in fact it did continue to run and that moisture would have a hard time getting past your rings under load. Just my two pennies..

Bucket

We used to pour water down the carb of a revved up engine to try to get rid of carbon build up and a litre or two poured down the carb will turn the oil milky. Like water injection on hot rods. Pull the spark plugs and a cylinder with a bad head gasket will have a clean plug compared to the rest from being washed down with water vapour.
Been a lot of years since I tested a thermostat considering the price... And faults can be intermittent.
A hotter thermostat will reduce engine wear, improve efficiency and reduce crankcase condensation. Just what some people believe!

When was the last time the thermostat was changed? A while back my old boats kicker thermostat got stuck open. If the motor can not get up to operating temperature it will create a significant amount of condensation and you end up with your milkshake. Pull the thermostat and toss it in some boiling water, pull it out and allow it to cool, if it stays stuck open that’s your problem or it may not always happen, best to replace it. I doubt the motor would have kept running with a washdown hose spraying directly at the intake. You would have heard a significant amount of backfiring if in fact it did continue to run and that moisture would have a hard time getting past your rings under load. Just my two pennies..

Bucket
Last year is when I changed the thermostat. My temp is good. When I''m running it's between 165-170, steady.

If I have a head gasket issue wouldn't my coolant level be going down? I have not touched the coolant and the level is still the same.

If bad enough you would have a dead hole, rough running engine and you wouldn't be able to keep anything in the cooling system.
When they are just starting to go they can drip into the cylinder after shutdown, on restart engine runs rough till spark plug dries out then run fine.
At any rate yes the coolant level would go down.

When the risers and manifolds were done to they replace the shutters as well? Could be the issue but generally from
Stopping quickly/ hard launching/ backing up aggressively or a heavy following sea

Regardless of when last done my money is on a riser leaking or back..........
So you think that the riser maybe letting water into the exhaust outlet section and then it backs into the cylinders? That would be a gasket seating issue, can check that for sure.

As other members already mentioned pulling the plugs will likely tell you a lot as will a compression or leak down test.

In my experience leaking risers are the reason for the majority of watered down oil, so just playing the odds.............

Pulled the plugs and they all looked good to me. Here is one of the plugs, they all looked the same.

IMG_3725.JPG

Pulled off the starboard side riser and the gasket didn't look good to me. It came apart but was hard to tell if it had actually been leaking. I looked down the exhaust hole and thought I could see moisture in to the bottom but couldn't be sure. I tried to add a pic of the riser joint but it says file is too big, aaargh.

Here's a pic of the starboard riser/exhaust manifold joint.
View attachment 37764

that spark plug looks good doesnt look like its burning any coolant do they smell like fuel and what does the porcelain look like in the center of the plug ?? also the heat riser gasket looks good to me, I still think you've got coolant being introduced through possible head gasket or cracked coolant jacket etc. but wont know till further diag/tear down is preformed.

Back